Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many members on here store spam as a meat product for food storage. I thought we could make a survival cookbook all about spam recipies. Please only list name of dish and recipe. Lets refrain from comments about recipies.

Agains the rules recipe and name only and its all about spam.

I will be happy to start this off:
v
Hill Billy Spam fried rice

1 can bacon spam diced into bite sized portions and fried
Red onion diced and fried along with spam set aside
Handfull of ocra diced and fried then add to above
1/2 bellpepper chopped and fried with spam and onion
cook 1 cup of rice whichever type you like then add to pan with the above
Add sage, thyme, pepper, salt to taste and soy sauce. Put back on burner and fry together a few minutes to heat through.

Serve with chicken gravy drizzled over top. The camples canned gravy is what I used.

PS. I realize I could google spam recipes but I thought it would be cool to make a recipe book from the members private kitchen. Kinda like some churches do. Again don't post commentary. If you dont want to add a recipe then dont. Thought it could be beneficial to your bol kitchen.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
depending on number of people eating ---

dice as much spam as needed for the numbers eating.... I can make a can go for 3 meals when eating alone...

pan fry with peppers, onions, mushrooms, and eggs...... slather in hot sauce to taste...... eat quantities

·
Stay the Course
471 Posts
Mtn. Jack Spew:

Ground and fry up 1 can of spam.
Put two cans of green beans and one can of Cream of Mushroom soup on a pot and warm for several minutes.
Add ground spam.
Stir with a dead stick. Make sure its dead....
ENJOY!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I like to saute bacon flavored Spam in a pot with some onions. Then add that mixture to some fresh peas, cover with water and cook until they're ready.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,888 Posts
Many members on here store spam as a meat product for food storage. I thought we could make a survival cookbook all about spam recipies. Please only list name of dish and recipe. Lets refrain from comments about recipies.

Agains the rules recipe and name only and its all about spam.

I will be happy to start this off:

Hill Billy Spam fried rice

1 can bacon spam diced into bite sized portions and fried
Red onion diced and fried along with spam set aside
Handfull of ocra diced and fried then add to above
1/2 bellpepper chopped and fried with spam and onion
cook 1 cup of rice whichever type you like then add to pan with the above
Add sage, thyme, pepper, salt to taste and soy sauce. Put back on burner and fry together a few minutes to heat through.

Serve with chicken gravy drizzled over top. The camples canned gravy is what I used.
Geez, I hate these threads that make me feel even more unprepared. Now I have to prep red onions, okra, bell peppers, and soy sauce. The SPAM I have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
my fav is spam, eggs and rice. its the island breakfast, no recipe needed
Don't forget the spam masubi. Marinate spam in soy sauce, ginger, green onion and garlic marinade then pan fry golden. Press a palm sized amount of steamed rice, top with a slice of spam and wrap with a strip of roasted seaweed.

·
Got Preps?
303 Posts
Hubby likes spamcakes. Just pour a large pancake on the griddle then place a piece of pre-fried spam in the middle of it. Easy and tasty, and if you had to, they would travel well--just roll it up and it's an instant sandwich. :thumb:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Spam musubi- I love this as a hiking snack.

-2 c cooked short grain rice (sticky rice)
-1/2 c soy sauce
-1/2 c white sugar
-6 tbs rice vinegar
-1 can Spam
-5 sheets nor (seaweed sheets)

1) Once rice is cooked, stir in rice vinegar. set aside.
2) In a seperate bowl, stir soy sauce and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Slice Spam lengthwise into 10 slices. Marinate in sauce for 5 minutes.
3) In a large skillet, heat some oil over medium high heat. Cook Spam slices until lightly browned.
4) Cut nori sheets in half and lay on a flat surface. If you have a rice press, put some rice in and shape. Otherwise, you can just shape some rice into a spam slice shape. Top rice with a slice of fried Spam. Wrap nori around rice and spam. Seal edges with water.
5) wrap in foil. can be served cold or warm.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Spam musubi- I love this as a hiking snack.

-2 c cooked short grain rice (sticky rice)
-1/2 c soy sauce
-1/2 c white sugar
-6 tbs rice vinegar
-1 can Spam
-5 sheets nor (seaweed sheets)

1) Once rice is cooked, stir in rice vinegar. set aside.
2) In a seperate bowl, stir soy sauce and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Slice Spam lengthwise into 10 slices. Marinate in sauce for 5 minutes.
3) In a large skillet, heat some oil over medium high heat. Cook Spam slices until lightly browned.
4) Cut nori sheets in half and lay on a flat surface. If you have a rice press, put some rice in and shape. Otherwise, you can just shape some rice into a spam slice shape. Top rice with a slice of fried Spam. Wrap nori around rice and spam. Seal edges with water.
5) wrap in foil. can be served cold or warm.

Man that sounds good im making that soon.

·
Barrio Bajo Señor
3,783 Posts
Don't forget the spam masubi. Marinate spam in soy sauce, ginger, green onion and garlic marinade then pan fry golden. Press a palm sized amount of steamed rice, top with a slice of spam and wrap with a strip of roasted seaweed.

those are great too, i get them from 7-11 when i go to hawaii.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I watched an episode of either Man vs Food or Diners, Driveins, and Dives (I mix them up usually) and at this restaurant they used spam in a very unique way... it was something like this:

1.) Make little balls from cream cheese
2.) Cut up spam in tiny cubes and mix it with relish
3.) Wrap this mixture around the cream cheese balls
4.) Coat the balls in something like breadcrumbs mixed with potato chips
5.) Fry, sautee, whatever, just enjoy!

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
Sandwich Islands Delight

1 can Spam
1 cup basmati or jasmine rice, uncooked
1 small can pineapple slices
2 cups chicken broth or ham bullion
2 Tbs. chopped dried onion (or fresh if you have them)
1 tsp. granulated garlic (or two cloves minced)
5-6 dried tomatoes, diced
6-8 slices of fresh mozzarella (made from powdered milk)
scallions or chives for garnish (dehydrated or fresh)

Drain the pineapple juice into a measuring cup and bring up to 1 3/4 cups liquid with chicken broth or ham bullion. Bring it to a boil in a sauce pan and then add the rice. Turn to low and cover. Cook 20 minutes and no peeking! Slice the spam into 6 to 8 pieces. (Six slices yields about a 1/2 thick slice.) Cut the pineapple slices in half. Prep the other ingredients.

In an oiled or buttered baking dish (9x13) mix the rice, chopped onions, diced tomato and garlic together and spread out. Place the spam slices on top of the rice. Put a slice of pineapple and then mozzarella on each spam slice. Pour the remaining broth into the pan to keep the rice moist. bake at 350 - 375 for about 20 to 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and beginning to bubble and brown.

Garnish with fresh sliced scallions or chives. If using dehydrated, you may choose to mix the garnish into the rice mixture.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts