Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the survival prep attitude. But have came a long way in a short few weeks.
I went to the store and started paying attention to dates, and other things in our food chain.

On this forum someone said he/she would rather die than eat spam!:xeye:
I do not understand why anyone would say such things. There are places on this earth where wars could happen over food like spam! Or food in general!

Its been ten or maybe twenty years since I have eaten spam, tonight I made spam(bacon) fried BLT's On toast with some cheese wow! has it came a long way, and will keep this on my list for sure! I would rather Live than starve! and my Family Loved the taste of the new stuff!:thumb:

Just Think after the shtf, Spam could be: the new steak for the future! :D:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love spam and even the knock off brands of spam. I eat it out of the can with mustard. Then again I eat the duck hearts , livers, Caktails, snapping turtle eggs, sun fish, cray fish from my pond, deer, deer heart, deer liver,so spam is not a big deal for me. Whats nice is the shelf life of the stuff. I only buy things I would eat so i can rotate them.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I am new to the survival prep attitude. But have came a long way in a short few weeks.
I went to the store and started paying attention to dates, and other things in our food chain.

I do not understand why anyone would say such things. There are places on this earth where wars could happen over food like spam! Or food in general!

Its been ten or maybe twenty years since I have eaten spam, tonight I made spam(bacon) fried BLT's On toast with some cheese wow! has it came a long way, and will keep this on my list for sure! I would rather Live than starve! and my Family Loved the taste of the new stuff!:thumb:

Just Think after the shtf, Spam could be: the new steak for the future! :D:
No only for a coupla years, then it'll be real steak and real ham.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love spam and even the knock off brands of spam. I eat it out of the can with mustard. Then again I eat the duck hearts , livers, Caktails, snapping turtle eggs, sun fish, cray fish from my pond, deer, deer heart, deer liver,so spam is not a big deal for me. Whats nice is the shelf life of the stuff. I only buy things I would eat so i can rotate them.
Have you tried Prairie Oysters?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,414 Posts
On this forum someone said he/she would rather die than eat spam!
I'm sure that was in reference to a really long, somewhat comical thread we had on Spam a while back. Some people like it and some hate it. But a lot of us store it. It makes a good long term storage food though.

If you can choke it down! :D:

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
I hate Spam. Don't know if I'd die before I ate it, though. It's palletable. I've said it before here. There are just too many other nutritious foods to prep other than Spam. I had to eat too much of it growing up. I've said befopre here, I'd rather eat dirt...and hope I got an earthworm to eat...:eek: But Hey! I undestand that some people love it...and if you do, then great! I just don't care for it. For those of you that like it....here ya go.................

Oh SPAM! Oh SPAM! Gourmet delight!
My food by day, my dreams by night.
To carve, to slice, to dice you up -
pureed in a blender and sipped from a cup.

What shining deity from Olympus knelt
down to the earth and hog butt smelt?
Creating then man's eternal desire
for swine entrails congealed by fire.

On some corporate farm, a pig has died.
Eyes, tongue, and snout end up inside
that cube of SPAM hidden in the can
I now hold in my trembling hand.

More than mere food, SPAM is for me
a hedonistic expression of gluttonous glee.
Mottled with pork fat, the pink cube engrosses.
My mouth takes it in, my intestine disposes.

Long have my arteries clogged to the sound
of sizzling SPAM when there's no one around -
furtively chewing or swallowing whole.
Triple bypass by forty, my medical goal.

Other processed meat products I've tried or declined
Vienna Sausages, Treet, even pig's feet in brine.
Though each may be tasty in different ways,
none matches SPAM for gelatinous glaze.

That glistening pinkness beckons me
with gristle, fat, and BHT.
Oh Spam, my Spam - the taste, the smell -
The sacred meat product from Hormel.

:xeye:

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I can't say I love SPAM, but I really like it cubed and put in mac and cheese; I'm not sure why. I really like it fried up in a pan. They now have bacon SPAM.

Anyone who says they would rather die than eat SPAM is a fool. I don't care much for okra, but I would rather LIVE and eat okra than die not eating anything.

There are people who dies in Germany of hunger because they wouldn't rather die than eat cattle feed, which I believe was turnips or something like that.

Fools die of hunger. Intelligent people eat what they can to survive!

·
Most Thankful Guy here
38,966 Posts
Spam over the years seems to taste better - then again maybe it's just me.
I'll always have some on hand - as some have posted it's a good addition to other foods.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
I stock it and like it. Wouldnt say I love it, but I do like it. My youngest daughter, now she loves it. I make on the weekends on occasion, fried up with eggs. Ill eat it. I prefer DAK canned ham, now thats good.

Reactions: survivalone

·
Cranky Old Guy
433 Posts
Just ran across this thread.

Tonight I had span fried, scrambled eggs, and hash browns for dinner. I don't "love" spam, but I like it and we enjoy rotating our store of spam. One of these days I am going to see how it works in navy beans! We keep at least a case at all times. Now working off my regular spam, and going to the low sodium spam.

I have a can of turkey, but have not tried it yet. That will come next week.

We have been snowed in for five days now, and more storms coming. Great time to test run your preps.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,888 Posts

It wasn't me that said it, but I'm sure it was just a figure of speech.

Chill, fellow prepper, and welcome.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,888 Posts
To me, the beauty of SPAM is twofold:

1. It lasts indefinitely. Yes, that's true.

2. It's a way to store fat long-term due to #1.

It can be eaten uncooked, fried, cubed up in bean soup, as an addition to mac 'n' cheese, and probably 1000 other ways.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,806 Posts
I had Spam and pirogies for breakfast (Low sodium Spam is what I prefer.)
It was tasty. I pulled them out of my rotation, it was about a year old and still good until 4/13. It was pink, fresh and tasty.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts