Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/world/europe/hunger-on-the-rise-in-spain.html

Sorry if this article was posted or being discussed elsewhere. Looks like Spain's people are becoming more desperate as no end in joblessness is in sight.....:(

"The woman, 33, said that she had once worked at the post office but that her unemployment benefits had run out and she was living now on 400 euros a month, about $520. She was squatting with some friends in a building that still had water and electricity, while collecting “a little of everything” from the garbage after stores closed and the streets were dark and quiet.

Such survival tactics are becoming increasingly commonplace here, with an unemployment rate over 50 percent among young people and more and more households having adults without jobs."

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Lord...food and water should be a right!

They're paying a HUGE price for allowing all those North African illegals to come in and get on their welfare system...it ironically burned out their unemployment for those who actually worked for a living and hit hard times.

Thank Goodness we have Obama.

Obama will save us!

Uh, yeah...

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
It's time for Spain's people to learn legitimate survival tactics, as opposed to bare bones - dumpster-diving to make it until tomorrow's dumpster dive. A story like this making the NYT is mildly alarming. There are probably other similar situations across Europe right now that are going unreported...
Obama will save them too!

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
You don't need to read stories about Spain to learn about this level of desperation.

There is plenty of this ongoing in the USA. Just take a drive around your own town. You will see people foraging thru dumpsters and digging around in trash cans......looking for something to eat. (I live in an apartment building. I've seen people rummaging thru the dumpster, looking for discarded food.........and then standing next to that dumpster, eating whatever they found in there.) This isn't just individual male panhandlers. It's often parents with children.

While you're out there, driving around, look for signs of people living in their cars, or tent cities. I guarantee you will find signs of this.

Next, phone your local food bank. Ask them how close they are to running out of food items to distribute.

Next, phone your local churches. Ask them about the increased need for help from desperate people living on the street. Then, ask the person on the phone with you how many people show up for the free meals provided by local churches.

We aren't in a "recovery" in the U.S. We're well into a New Depression.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Dumpster diving - because growing a garden is just so not cool.

I would imagine community gardens are being hit hard by these parasites, too. So sad.
If they're squatting, they probably don't own a home or have had it forclosed on. Where are they going to grow it without running water? Even if they planted one, it's still going to be 30-60 days before anything eatable comes up, eh?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Can you imagine if we actually had food lines instead of food stamps? That would bring back reality to voters.

http://www.theobamafile.com/_image2/FoodStampsChart.jpg
We have both. Have you worked a food pantry or soup kitchen? Believe me, charities are doing what they can, as well as taxpayers doing what they're obliged to do. It's still not enough. We have more dependents than people to support them. Let's not point at Spain, our country is nearly just as bad. The media covers it up by reporting fluff instead of reality. :(

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
I have seen that kind of poverty 20 years ago working in a thrift store /food bank.
At that time probibly 30% were actually poor and the rest were simply suplimenting their income.
in certain parts of the country it is not easy to have a garden ,in the mountains for instance the pine trees are so acidic not much else grows .
The soil on my property is all clay ,and almost no rock very hard soil when dry .
If I had the money I would have some top soil hauled in like they do for the wineries.
And not having a well is a whole nuther issue .
so you can't just grow food any where, I tried bringing avacado trees here and they die with in days . I am told the water has too much iron in it .
I have been growing potatoes in a raised pot , but typiclly they turn out small even with mirical grow potting soil and all that jazz .

·
Banned
480 Posts
I'm afraid this is going to become common place in America soon. Everyon I try to talk economic reason to just doesn't get it. They think the government can just print more money to prop up our economy and don't get it even when I explain it to them. They will say "Yeah, but..." and say the government can't just stop giving out money to everyone. They don't understand the consequences, they don't have systemic thinking at all.

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
Lord...food and water should be a right!

They're paying a HUGE price for allowing all those North African illegals to come in and get on their welfare system...it ironically burned out their unemployment for those who actually worked for a living and hit hard times.

Thank Goodness we have Obama.

Obama will save us!

Uh, yeah...
IMO food, water and shelter should be a basic privilege that we guarantee for one another ... But it most certainly is not a Right.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
its so sad to see the people have to resort to dumpster diving when the answer is right before them...
Young Americans will soon learn what their forefathers learnt, only they will learn it the hard way..like in Spain... like in Greece...

you must work to put food on the table.. rather than giving money to the govt for distribution..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.