Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got ma own, what's yours? Got some cider yeast in mine along with some happy bacteria. Do you keep it in the frig? Have you seen some of the involved sourdough vidoes on You Tube. They make it sound impossible to make. They say that in San Francisco the original sourdough bakers slapped the dough against their sweathy chests to get the right bacteria for that city's famous sourdough.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've used a no-yeast starter also. Works well for me. I don't have a starter going right now; living in Florida, you have to use it about every other day or it molds, and with just 2 of us in the house, I wasn't using it that often.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i use a standard no yeast starter for my sour dough..I keep one of mine in the fridge and one not in the fridge(crock), for experimental purposes rather than any real reasoning for it. I also have a starter frozen just in case i ever kill off mine(i think its near impossible) or someone needs a starter.

Like many things in life, reading or watching a video on it makes it seem much harder to do than it actually is. If we all read animal raising books or gardening books and followed them completely no one would ever raise a silly chicken or grow a tomato for fear of all the disease and petulance that could be had from doing so;)...
A yeast starter... isn't that cheating? And I didn't know you could freeze starters.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used a no-yeast starter also. Works well for me. I don't have a starter going right now; living in Florida, you have to use it about every other day or it molds, and with just 2 of us in the house, I wasn't using it that often.
I'm in Florida, too. Just scape the mold off.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yes i consider it cheating as well as slightly silly:)..would be just another thing i had to prep for and yeast aint that cheap when you figure in a couple years supply for simple bread making ;)
Now I see what you are talking about... a starter culture. I did mine the old fashion way, no culture, got ma bacteria and yeast from the wild. After all, that was the point of sourdough originally, to make rising bread without adding yeast per se. I could buy a starter and freeze it, assuming one keeps having electricity... or lives north of Atlanta ...:D

·
Unlocked and loaded
1,161 Posts
Some how to?

I read all the articals and not one told me what I wanted to know. How do you make sourdough bread? Simple ? everyone is doing it but no one tells how. Dua!:mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts