Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone sock away Sorghum Syrup. I wonder what the shelf life is ?

Is it as long as honey...forever?

I've grown a fondness for it . Its less surgery than honey and looks to be far more nutritious.

Regular artificial syrup gives me a head ache as well as pure maple syrup.

Honey doesn't bother me and Sorghum either, Sorghum has less suger than honey.

Mennonites seem to be the only ones that bother making it.
I had some Mennonite friends I lost touch with when they moved states away or I'd ask them.

You'll get a deer in the headlight look if you ask for it in the stores around here.

Whats your favorite source , I've ordered some from Muddy pond in Tennessee in the past.

I plan on spending a week in Tennessee this fall (to dam hot for this Yankee in summer months down there..tried it twice) I'll time it so I can get some hot off the mill.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I never had sorghum syrup or Barbados molasses go bad. I have molasses that are 30 years stored. I bought a 5 gallon bucket at Zook Molasses and poured them up into quart jars.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
But not in a plastic drum ? I just dug out a 15 gal. plastic (food grade) barrel of feed grade molasses that I has set aside 1/2 full about 6 years ago, no longer a liquid, the molasses is now a solid mass. I know plastic is porous to some extent, the cap may not have been real tight, assume the water evaporated out. I have stored both sorghum and black strap in glass for humans for years with no issues.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
In Costa Rica molasses is used to stabilize dirt roads. I recall a Popular Science article years ago where a molasses product was used for paving driveways. I don't recall what was used to stabilize it.

·
Banned
514 Posts
It was about the only sweetener we used on my grandparent's farm when I was growing up. A local guy made it. Our treat was molasses poured over cornbread sitting on a slice of home cured ham. My grandma used it to make pumpkin bread that would melt in your mouth. It's also good in coffee and oatmeal. It's about the only sweetener I use and it lasts much longer than honey.

·
Banned
30,720 Posts

·
Banned
30,720 Posts
I "may" have "some" right next to my red feather butter...
No maybe about it. I have a whole case flat of it in my storage.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
https://www.americansorghum.com/7-surprising-benefits-of-sorghum/

The above link explains why my gut likes this better than sugar syrup.
Take a look at the nutritional value also ...WOW.

Molasses is a little harsh for this Yankee ..never warmed up to it.
It has a lot of food value to it also unlike sugar which has none.
It has 3 minerals I'm always a little shy on.

It seems that term Molasses is used interchangeably to describe a cane sugar product or a sorghum product.

I believe steens is a sugar cane product which I don't want ..but i might try a can.

If you guys ever had buckwheat pancakes with sorghum, you'll know you ate something that will stick to your ribs.
Wife and kid won't touch buckwheat , rather have swedish pancakes or buttermilk..there good also but your hungry a couple hrs later.

·
COF
382 Posts
Awhile back I found a 1# jar of Waconia Sorghum from Cedar Rapids, IA in the canning storage area that was purchased by my Mother probably in the 60's. Price was 55 cents. Unopened but somewhat crystallized from the outside but I'm not sure I would want to eat it.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I missed out on a real deal. I purchased a ½ gallon jug of Tennessee Sorghum at the the United Grocers Outlet planning to purchase more if it was the real deal. It was a few days before I tasted it and when I went back it was all gone. I think it was $3.79, Muddy Pond Sorghum in the same area sells ½ gallon shipped for 10x that price.

Locally we call it molasses.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awhile back I found a 1# jar of Waconia Sorghum from Cedar Rapids, IA in the canning storage area that was purchased by my Mother probably in the 60's. Price was 55 cents. Unopened but somewhat crystallized from the outside but I'm not sure I would want to eat it.
That can may be worth some money ..Waconia has been out of business for a long time now. It was a big operation at one time there in Iowa .
Do some digging on the internet ...seems I ran across them worth some money.

I bought my first jar ever at the big steam show in central Iowa(12 yrs ago).
You'll never find it for sale in Illinois ..at least where I'm at.
After some digging I found there operation

http://www.maasdamsorghum.com/sorghum-products.html

They sell in Iowa and Wis. I border hop a lot to Wis. I got a message to them about which stores carry it otherwise can order direct but shipping is a killer.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AHAH found a somewhat local source (Sunrise Orchard)....well north of the cheddar curtain .
Grown in Elkhart area (mid east Wis.) and sold in the Kickapoo area (mid west part of Wis.).
If you ever get a chance Kickapoo area on motorcycle is hard to beat you'll be grinning like a mule eating thistles.

I got a 1/2 gal ordered and cheaper than what amazon has to offer.

·
Banned
30,720 Posts
Steen's at a price close to our local retail, if you live outside the south central US.

https://www.amazon.com/Steens-100-Pure-Cane-Syrup/dp/B00G8OGJWU

12oz is a good size for regular use. Buying syrups in those big jugs can be a bit of a pain to use.

No reason an unopen can wouldn't last a couple decades if you don't let it rust.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts