Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ordinary Average Guy
970 Posts
We have 5 cases left after Harvey. I'll keep an eye out for the ravioli and be sure that I don't grab that one... Appreciate you taking one for the team, Kev!

Just remember, there are starving people who would gladly eat it....

·
Para Bellum
3,855 Posts
The chili mac is good.
We get cases of sopakco reduced sodium (14 meals) for $27 or individual meals for $2.50 quite often in town.
My son likes the ravioli, my wife likes the tortellini, and I prefer the chili mac.
I'll eat any of it if need be :) it's cheap and filling.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,593 Posts
I bought a case of SOPAKCO (SoCrapCo) about 6 yrs ago and was not happy with them.
Bought a few cases of real MREs and they were better. It was fun to try them out anyway. I finally decided it would be better to just buy a can of ravioli and some M&Ms and a few other odds and ends. And the van of ravioli would be larger than the MRE portion.

Who ever heard of putting soy in ravioli?

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
MRE's aren't for flavor. Always remember that. They're for calories to keep you going toting a pack and a rifle. The key to eating MRE's and C-rats etc is to not look at the supposed flavor and to dump a bunch of hot sauce into it to hide the flavor. It's crap, plain and simple. The last MRE that was actually worth a damn was the old "ham slice". It was possibly the best damned piece of cooked ham you'd ever hope to eat. Yeah, it was that good. All else is crap. Hot sauce it, mash it up, choke it down, and crap it out 12 hours later if you're not ****ing constipated from the damned things. If you want passable ravioli, toss a can of Chef into your bag. Much better, much more, much cheaper, and you won't be ****ting rocks.

Yeah, I have a couple of cases here or there still. I still carry two or three entrees in my woods survival kit bag. I don't pretend they're anything they aren't, though. It's last ditch stuff. Anyone that *plans* to use MRE's if they don't have to is fooling themselves. ;)

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
MRE's aren't for flavor. Always remember that. They're for calories to keep you going toting a pack and a rifle. The key to eating MRE's and C-rats etc is to not look at the supposed flavor and to dump a bunch of hot sauce into it to hide the flavor. It's crap, plain and simple. The last MRE that was actually worth a damn was the old "ham slice". It was possibly the best damned piece of cooked ham you'd ever hope to eat. Yeah, it was that good. All else is crap. Hot sauce it, mash it up, choke it down, and crap it out 12 hours later if you're not ****ing constipated from the damned things. If you want passable ravioli, toss a can of Chef into your bag. Much better, much more, much cheaper, and you won't be ****ting rocks.

Yeah, I have a couple of cases here or there still. I still carry two or three entrees in my woods survival kit bag. I don't pretend they're anything they aren't, though. It's last ditch stuff. Anyone that *plans* to use MRE's if they don't have to is fooling themselves. ;)
+1

I tried the MRE thing years ago and was sorely disappointed. Canned food lasts far longer and tastes far better. If weight is a premium, then get freeze dried food.

This probably doesn't apply to any posters on this thread, but I wonder if some people gravitate toward MREs just because of the military association.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bought a case of SOPAKCO (SoCrapCo) about 6 yrs ago and was not happy with them.
Bought a few cases of real MREs and they were better. It was fun to try them out anyway. I finally decided it would be better to just buy a can of ravioli and some M&Ms and a few other odds and ends. And the van of ravioli would be larger than the MRE portion.

Even a mini van full of ravioli would be larger! :D:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Everybody with a box of Hamburger Helper in the kitchen cabinet.

As to the rest, precooked pasta in sauce is always going to become soft goo. Some people like to eat tomato-flavored goo, and some don't. For those who do, there are things like cans of Boyardee and pasta MREs.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
Well, ok then. I can cross that off my list of potentials.

FWIW, I've eaten canned Chef Boyardee ravioli and beefaroni that were, if I recall correctly, four years out of date and they were fine. Maybe a little tinny tasting, but nothing really objectionable or that made me sick. No problems.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
You say tomato flavored goo like it's a bad thing. :)
Ah, another Chef Boyardee fan. ;)
Yah, to me tomato-flavored goo is disgusting, and I see little point in comparing the exact depth of disgustingness for the various forms. (Precooked ravioli stored sitting in sauce was disgusting? Well, duh...) However, chacun à son goût.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,593 Posts
Ah, another Chef Boyardee fan. ;)
Yah, to me tomato-flavored goo is disgusting, and I see little point in comparing the exact depth of disgustingness for the various forms. (Precooked ravioli stored sitting in sauce was disgusting? Well, duh...) However, chacun à son goût.
I am Groot!

Actually spaghettios are my secret vice. Grew up on them as a kid.

de gustibus non disputandum est

·
Made In Detroit
1,731 Posts
I am Groot!

Actually spaghettios are my secret vice. Grew up on them as a kid.

de gustibus non disputandum est
My secret vice is Spaghettios with the 'Soylent Green Meat Orbs' (meatballs). I have some squirreled away for the post-apocalypse feasts.

Having several cases of MREs that I slowly rotate thru. When finding one I really don't care for - I remind myself that my Mom used to say that there were starving kids in China, Europe, etc., and I am thankful I don't have to rely on them as much as when I was active duty in the Marines long ago when MREs had replaced C-Rats.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,593 Posts
When I bought the MREs, I figured, well, they may taste like crap, but are probably hightly engineered by the best dieticians to optimize the physical performance of our soldiers. Could these be the highly engineered "Human Chow" that I had been searching for?

Then I realized they are complete junk food. If you took out all the wheat and sugar from an MRE, what remains would barely fill a thimble. :)

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Then I realized they are complete junk food. If you took out all the wheat and sugar from an MRE, what remains would barely fill a thimble. :)
Agribusiness spends a lot of lobbying money on the Army (and USDA's school lunch program). The result is that the crappy food is everywhere these days.

·
Semper Fi
8,924 Posts
+1

I tried the MRE thing years ago and was sorely disappointed. Canned food lasts far longer and tastes far better. If weight is a premium, then get freeze dried food.

This probably doesn't apply to any posters on this thread, but I wonder if some people gravitate toward MREs just because of the military association.
They do, figuring the military must know something and that the meals will last a long time. Without realizing the military cycles through their stocks of MREs on a fairly rapid basis and that the shelf life drops RAPIDLY when stored other then in a temp-controlled warehouse.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts