Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I never buy used firearms (i'm not a collector), I never sell firearms I own.
Today was an exception - sold a stripped ar lower to a friend. at 0 profit. I didn't intend to sell it, he knew I had one and I couldn't refuse. What makes me feel somewhat better is that now he has a rifle. gave him few loaded mags to store for me until he gets his own, those I want back.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I will NEVER sale my guns. I will pass them on to my family and kids before I ever sale them. Events like what is happening in 2020 have more then proved the police will NEVER be there to help you in times of unrest.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've sold 2 and traded 2 in the last couple of weeks. I wasn't emotionally attached to them and made a nice profit. Also like the 2 that I traded for. Really liking the savage weather warrior 7mm08. Lots of movement in the local market. Thinking about using some the money on took a t3x superlite or Christensen carbon fiber.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I went to Academy Monday and with the exception of some shotshells and exotic ammo it was a ghost town, same deal at Walmart when I stopped for milk on the way home today. I've got more .22LR than I'll ever need and a couple extra boxes of .380, 9mm and .45 ACP and was thinking maybe it would be a good time to "Buy low and sell high" and buy again when the price drops. I've also got a few handguns I'd like to get rid of that I could never get my money back on a normal day. Anybody else done this?

Just make sure you are selling stuff you can afford to part with without constraining your ability to go to the range etc.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Now is a good time to sell any excess firearms you may have acquired over the last several years. I've sold a few and am holding onto a few others for later. It may not be a great time, that may come after the election, or Trump may get re-elected and we may see a glut of firearms again. If I knew for sure, I'd be typing this post from my villa on my Caribbean island.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I narrowed down all my safe queens and odd ball caliber guns back before hussein was elected. I don't really have anything that would be considered extra at this point. I'm low on all ammo and don't really have anything anyone would want. Most of my crap is 40 caliber and a little 22lr on hand. I can do a little but not much about whatever happens during the rest of the plandemic and next coup attempt.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Depends on 2 things.

1) Do you expect prices to go down before the next time you are going to want to buy?

2) Do you expect to need those guns/ammo before prices return to normal?

To know for sure you'd need a crystal ball.

I did offload some guns into the panic, based on this criteria:

1) Keep enough handguns for every adult to have one, and enough long-guns for every adult or capable child to have one, and

2) Selling primarily "fun" or impractical firearms, or ones of which I have unnecessary duplicates, except for the primary fighting long gun patterns which is allowed extra duplicates

I sold NO ammo and do not intend to sell any ammo. Because IMO, I am not convinced that I will not need it before the market settles back down. I may be walking away from the opportunity to double my money on a lot of this stuff, but I don't feel like rolling the dice.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,559 Posts
Same here with the.22. Trying to trade rather than sell. So far doing well. I picked up 2000 berry's 9mm fmj for 9 cents apiece. Now trying to trade off some for small pistol primers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thank you all for the input. So, I've decided to keep the ammo and offload the guns, none of which are safe queens by anybody's definition, LOL! I'm embarrassed to say, on the list is a Hi-Point in 45 and 9mm, a Chiappa 1873 SAA and 1911 in .22 - I bought them quite a while back and replaced them with several Rugers, a Shield and a Sig among others. Thanks again! - Tracy

·
Registered
862 Posts
I do gun shows for a living. I normally sell accessories and optics rather than guns and ammo. But I do sell my spare guns and a lot of ammo I've collected between buying rushes. When the rush dies down, I wait for sales and start stocking back up for the next buying frenzy. There's definitely big money in it.

You can usually triple or quadruple your money if you're patient enough to wait a few years till the next rush. Mass shootings always cause them. Talk of new gun laws does to. And of course election years.
Whats crazy is the Federal 420 round cans XM855 on stripper clips were selling for .29cpr and I bought 15 cases. I could just imagine what those things would sell for now.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Now is a good time to sell any excess firearms you may have acquired over the last several years. I've sold a few and am holding onto a few others for later. It may not be a great time, that may come after the election, or Trump may get re-elected and we may see a glut of firearms again. If I knew for sure, I'd be typing this post from my villa on my Caribbean island.
I dont see Trump being re-elected so expect further price increases.

·
Registered
208 Posts
When we are in the mist of a panic high priced market we feel like this is the new permanent normal and as often as that has proven false it still seems this time it is true

Likewise when prices fall to historic lows we are so sure they will never rise again we ignore stocking up to sell for profit when the unthinkable stupid returns to our amazement

Since the 1986 spike I have rarely got it right.
I did OK with the 08 election and did so well after Sandyhook I bought a house with my ammo fort

This time I am embarrassed by my not seeing what now looks so obvious. I could have dumped $100K++ into ammo in Jan-Feb and easily tripled my money

I will sell off some extra and make a few bucks but I missed a real opportunity for lawful gain
I will not sell off to have less than 50K rounds that being my base line

This will pass. prices will come down and availability will return.
Maybe not quite like it was but there will be a new Salad Day and most of us will miss that chance to cash in when the next panic and there will be one, occurs

·
Registered
78 Posts
For whatever reason, Brownell's had 5500 count cases of 62 grain Hornady .224 bullets in stock earlier this week at about 8.5 cents a pop delivered. I really don't shoot all that much .223 although I have dies, brass, powder and primers for it. Couldn't resist. I guess if worse comes to worst I will just flip them a bit at a time ads this nasty mess of a shortage grinds on and reloaders run out of projos.

I was trying to remember earlier today: how long did the Sandy Hook and '09 Obummer shortages last? The Sandy Hook mess was moderating by '16 and prices started getting really slack by the second half of '17. Anyone remember the '09 shortage?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts