Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Academy Monday and with the exception of some shotshells and exotic ammo it was a ghost town, same deal at Walmart when I stopped for milk on the way home today. I've got more .22LR than I'll ever need and a couple extra boxes of .380, 9mm and .45 ACP and was thinking maybe it would be a good time to "Buy low and sell high" and buy again when the price drops. I've also got a few handguns I'd like to get rid of that I could never get my money back on a normal day. Anybody else done this?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have sold a couple rifles I had. I gave one guy a 20 round box of ammo, but I don't intend to sell any ammo at the moment, I have a few other guns that I am prepping to sell, but those came to me in a fixer upper windfall and I intended to sell most of them anyway. I just have to get to the range to run a mag through each before I sell them.

If you feel you have enough to sell of either ammo or guns, it is a good time to make a buck. Still there seem to be some things that are slow to move. You just have to look around at sales ads in your area to gauge.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
13,322 Posts
It's certainly a sellers market. But with the pending crush of inflation, hard goods will be valuable. So I would not sell for cash, I'd sell to put that cash to use on other preps.

And I would only sell knowing that the item being sold is irreplaceable and not going to be needed any time in the future.

If Biden wins, albeit unlikely, we'll see prices of guns/ammo/parts/accessories skyrocket b/c of his open agenda on gun control. Even if Trump wins, we are still dealing with two issues - the lawlessness on the left and the results of the CV19 scare that has taken ahold of people and has resulted in the release of inmates and less crime prevention.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I am waiting till prices reach a dollar a round for 9mm and 7.62x39 fmj. At that point I would probably sell 2000 rounds. Then reinvest the money in other preps. Probably solar.

I figure post election would be about right time.

·
Super Moderator
65,771 Posts
I went to Academy Monday and with the exception of some shotshells and exotic ammo it was a ghost town, same deal at Walmart when I stopped for milk on the way home today. I've got more .22LR than I'll ever need and a couple extra boxes of .380, 9mm and .45 ACP and was thinking maybe it would be a good time to "Buy low and sell high" and buy again when the price drops. I've also got a few handguns I'd like to get rid of that I could never get my money back on a normal day. Anybody else done this?
I do gun shows for a living. I normally sell accessories and optics rather than guns and ammo. But I do sell my spare guns and a lot of ammo I've collected between buying rushes. When the rush dies down, I wait for sales and start stocking back up for the next buying frenzy. There's definitely big money in it.

You can usually triple or quadruple your money if you're patient enough to wait a few years till the next rush. Mass shootings always cause them. Talk of new gun laws does to. And of course election years.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I do gun shows for a living. I normally sell accessories and optics rather than guns and ammo. But I do sell my spare guns and a lot of ammo I've collected between buying rushes. When the rush dies down, I wait for sales and start stocking back up for the next buying frenzy. There's definitely big money in it.

You can usually triple or quadruple your money if you're patient enough to wait a few years till the next rush. Mass shootings always cause them. Talk of new gun laws does to. And of course election years.
Do you ever make it to Virginia, before the c19 messed things up I would never miss a Roanoke or Richmond show- just wandering If I've ever crossed paths with you

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Personally I'm waiting until after the election.
I would not sell a thing until past the end of next January (think the 20th...) but I would expect things to generally quiet down in the colder months.

Back in April I sold some ammo to guys at work who had nothing, but didn't make a killing. Some local stores are gouging and some online sources are out to make a mega-buck.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
can't see why not. you'll be doing whomever buys it a favor, even at the higher prices. the other end of the spectrum is, prices are high for a reason - so, what you have is valuable to people for a reason, so that might be reason enough to hold.

·
Midwest Born
824 Posts
as previously discussed in Nomad's thread......i have enough ammo, for what firearms i own, to shoot for the rest of my life and the lives of my children. I wont sell either. What i will sell is the odd ball calibers I have from previously owned firearms or boxes i picked up in auction lots etc.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
I was thinking about selling. I have a few buckets of golden bullets that I think I can sell for .10/round. have about 1000 rounds of .380 that I can sell for about $500. Lots of 223/556

I want to raise about 2500 to get a thermal scope for hog hunting.

·
2nd Amendment zealot
747 Posts
I made it a rule to never sell my ammo or guns in uncertain times. I did however sell 2K primers recently to a friend of a friend. The friend turned out to be a retired sheriff who still has connections so I thought two birds with one stone. A nice profit for me and I would be helping him out and maybe he could help me out in the future if ever needed. I think I made a friend for life though.

·
What would Mal do
4,565 Posts
sold a long gun I didn't much care for anyway...had $700 in it...walked out the door well used for $1k..nice guy, friend of a friend so I tossed in a few rounds..

that was back in April I believe.

Took that money straight to the depressed music production side of the market and bought a digital console I had been wanting that had been selling for $1200-$1400...offered the guy $500 for it..super clean..he was happy for the $.. I got a great deal...still sitting on the other $500 from the gun sale.

other than that, no..not a gun trader..only a couple things here and well stocked for me,but not looking to profit off my earlier good decisions to buy plenty.

·
Adventurer
803 Posts
I have sold 6 guns since the Plandemic started. I turned a profit on each of them (Except for one AR15)

I am currently trading gold and silver for ammunition. In an hour and 20 mins I am trading 5 grams of gold (that I paid around 250 dollars for some time ago) for 500 9mm HST and 200 federal 5.56 green tip....... So I am still getting ammo at acceptable prices IMO.

That being said, I did manage to score a mint condition FNS-9 for 330 dollars in the thick of the Covid scam.

As is always the case, if you take the time to shop around and barter your preps wisely......... Good deals can still be had.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts