Take the Highway- Marshall Tucker
Honeysuckle Blue- Drivin N Cryin
The Flame- Cheap Trick
Heaven in my woman's eyes- Tracy Byrd
Canon in D- Pachelbel

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
1,980 Posts
Lots, and lots, of songs move me. Like, so many we don't have time to list them.

But "Tears in Heaven" by Clapton moves me so much I can't even listen to it.
That's the same way I am with Travelin Soldier by the Dixie Chicks...

Then there's George Jones's He stopped lovin her today..

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
13,377 Posts
Pretty much anything from the following bands, from their 1980s-1990s collections, from my high school and college years. The human brain has a way of fixating on adolescent time and place. I have such great, and heartbreaking, memories from that era.

U2, Pearljam, Metallica, Motley Crue, Ozzy Osborne, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Megadeth, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, White Zombie, Ratt, Poison, Van Halen, Bob Seagar, Elvis Presley (yeah, he was before my time but was an influence) and similar bands.

I listen to these bands a lot still, from that era, more than modern stuff. Seems they were more real than the stuff today. I think MTV and music videos made it more real too. I remember being with friends or girlfriends and watching MTV for hours. I know I'm biased.

Youtube has been a blessing in that so much old videos and concert videos have been shared. I've been saving them on a 3rd party download software called "4K video download" so that if they are ever pulled or YT ends, or whatever, I'll have them....

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Looking forward to the replies.

...a song that has some hard lessons for the military industrial complex.

...I’m not Irish, none of my ancestors are, nobody in my family is and yet I have an odd attraction to the stuff. But I suppose I like folk music in general.

...and a couple from my high school years

And a few favorite chants

Increasingly, as I survey the moral and philosophical bankruptcy of the present and future I turn to the distant past for inspiration.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
A few of many....

Canon in D- Pachelbel (and Christmas Canon Rock - TSO)
Like a Rock - Bob Seger
Christ the Lord Is Risen Today - hymn (played really loud on a pipe organ)
Lyin' Eyes - Eagles
Foolish Pride - Travis Tritt
Take It on the Run - REO Speedwagon
Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin

·
Registered
10,818 Posts
Good song, but then I am partial to Marine songs. My wife used that song as her song for her final ride in a Mustang event. She named the horse SGT Reckless after a horse that served with Marines in the Korean War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergeant_Reckless

Staff Sergeant Reckless (c. 1948 – May 13, 1968), a decorated war horse who held official rank in the United States military,[1] was a mare of Mongolian horse breeding. Out of a race horse dam, she was purchased in October 1952 for $250 from a Korean stableboy at the Seoul racetrack who needed money to buy an artificial leg for his sister[citation needed]. Reckless was bought by members of the United States Marine Corps and trained to be a pack horse for the Recoilless Rifle Platoon, Anti-Tank Company, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division.[1] She quickly became part of the unit and was allowed to roam freely through camp, entering the Marines' tents, where she would sleep on cold nights, and was known for her willingness to eat nearly anything, including scrambled eggs, beer, Coca-Cola and, once, about $30 worth of poker chips.

She served in numerous combat actions during the Korean War, carrying supplies and ammunition, and was also used to evacuate wounded. Learning each supply route after only a couple of trips, she often traveled to deliver supplies to the troops on her own, without benefit of a handler. The highlight of her nine-month military career came in late March 1953 during the Battle for Outpost Vegas when, in a single day, she made 51 solo trips to resupply multiple front line units. She was wounded in combat twice, given the battlefield rank of corporal in 1953, and then a battlefield promotion to sergeant in 1954, several months after the war ended. She also became the first horse in the Marine Corps known to have participated in an amphibious landing, and following the war was awarded two Purple Hearts, a Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, was included in her unit's Presidential Unit Citations from two countries, as well as other military honors.

Her wartime service record was featured in The Saturday Evening Post, and LIFE magazine recognized her as one of America's 100 all-time heroes. She was retired and brought to the United States after the war, where she made appearances on television and participated in the United States Marine Corps birthday ball. She was officially promoted to staff sergeant in 1959 by the Commandant of the Marine Corps.[2] She gave birth to four foals in America and died in May 1968. A plaque and photo were dedicated in her honor at the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton stables and a statue of her was dedicated on July 26, 2013 at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico, Virginia. On May 12, 2018, a bronze statue of Sergeant Reckless was placed and dedicated in the Kentucky Horse Park, Lexington Kentucky...

Cool story about a great horse. Every time I hear the song I'm reminded of that horse. The woman that adopted the Mustang kept the name. The horse is no ways Reckless; she is a kid's riding horse now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
(1) "Mansions Of The Lord." music from: We Were Soldiers Once And Young. As an Army Aviator, I was quite familiar with the "Idrang Valley. That was part of the 4th Inf. Div's. A/O. (2) "Now We Are Free" from Gladiator. (3) Hymn To The Fallen." (4) "I Had A Dream" sung by Susan Boyle.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts