Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Retreat hell!!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont want to get into a massive flaming contest here , I just want to point out some things that are obvious to any of us who think we are "preparing".

If you have a family ,say a wife and 2 kids for example , if your the only one that preparing , then when SHTF YOU will be the only one surviving! I know it sounds harsh , we love our families but if they arent getting involved , then either you will end surviving alone or your will perish with your family!

I tried this on another forum and they trashed me and condemned me to hell ! Im not trying to **** anyone off , but in the end if I prepared myself for what may come , I am going to make it , my wife may not make it, I will try to save her ,but its like learning to swim , you practice until you can , if you want to learn to fly you practice until you can , if you dont practice survival , prepping , how to make fire ,how to cleanse water , you wont be able to do it when the time comes , that means YOU will have to do it all and if you live in the city you might as well times that by the neighborhood , because no one else will be ready except you !

Have the family practice the little things , at least be aware ! Im not saying ditch the family but if your hurt , you might as well call it a day cause theres gonna be no one else to help you! My wife doesnt know anything and will tell you repeatedly if SHTF **** it Ill just die cause I wont eat that crap you eat , and I dont drink water anyway , you might be able to survive for awhile (doing all the work) , but psychologically it will come to a boiling point , and love or now love its gonna end !

Now children are different story altogether ,you will do whatever it takes because they cant , but having them prepared is a good thing because they will want to contribute!

Like I said Im not trying to flame anyone here , Im trying to make it known that everyone needs to help out or its gonna be a long hard survival!

PS . I love my wife , I try ona daily basis to keep the plan alive about survival, probably sounds like a broken record to her, but she might actually get something from what I say , who knows ,I will help her if the time comes , but like I said you cant do it alone for 2 !

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
My wife is my partner. We're a team, and regardless of whether she's "on board" or not, she's part of the team. And, I love her.

All you can do is enhance your odds for survival, you can't guarantee it. If you love your family, enhance their odds!

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
The most important thing in surviving anything, at any level, is attitude. Being prepared is as much about attitude as it is about having stuff and learning skills. If someone is going to give up at the first little bump in the road, then yes, someone else trying to help them along won't necessarily mean they will survive.

That said, if a person is living in comfort then it is easy for them to say they won't do whatever it takes to survive - but, most people, when faced with going hungry, much less being faced with death, will do whatever it takes to stay fed. I remember when I was working in logging - sometimes I didn't have enough water and I would get really thirsty running up and down those mountainsides (I was a choker setter) - there were a few times I would drink out of a puddle because I knew there was no other water around.

However, if you have to chose between your reluctant wife and your children, then I agree, the children come first.

Finally, nobody here is going to survive forever. We all die eventually. Most people here will probably never need their preps - not in a survival scenario anyway. Most of us will die of cancer, heart problems, stroke, etc., when we get old and pass our preps on to somebody else. I am prepping as much for my daughter and her husband as I am anybody else. I may live another 20 to 30 years at most and I don't see the world collapsing overnight in that time - I see it slowly but surely degrading with increasingly scarce natural resources, including food and clean water.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have no doubt there will be major problems in my family unit when the time comes that we need to survive.

My mom is an RN, but with her failing eyesight, it is getting harder for her to do things that require precision or attention to detail. So she has the knowledge to administer first aid and give medications and all the stuff that her occupation requires, but her physical ailments are making it harder for her to actually do them.

My sisters on the other hand are complete ditzes, and laugh at everything I do to learn how to survive. Both of them are apprehensive to guns and one of them is apprehensive to knives, water, tea, and a laundry list of other phobias that she seems to make up every other week. They are also very lazy and halfass as much as they can. A few years ago, I was offering to pay my sister $20 dollars to water my "garden" (then just a few carrots and a couple of sunflowers) everyday for a week while I was gone. I came back and everything was dead. I have since learned not to trust them with anything too important that it requires constant alertness or actually doing work. My one hope is that a SHTF event will shock them so much that they finally get out of this stage and finally learn that work is needed to survive.

So in response to your question, I realize that I will either die with my family, or survive alone. I am not sure which path I would choose, so I am hoping events will choose for me.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hunger, fear and deprivation are great motivators. One might be surprised who comes around when the situation requires.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
I dont want to get into a massive flaming contest here , I just want to point out some things that are obvious to any of us who think we are "preparing".
When people start a thread with those words..........:rolleyes::rolleyes:
If you have a family ,say a wife and 2 kids for example , if your the only one that preparing , then when SHTF YOU will be the only one surviving! I know it sounds harsh , we love our families but if they arent getting involved , then either you will end surviving alone or your will perish with your family!
What kind of flawed logic is it to have a family and only prepare for yourself? Whether the wife's onboard or not. ......oh there's the word....love......
I tried this on another forum and they trashed me and condemned me to hell ! Im not trying to **** anyone off , but in the end if I prepared myself for what may come , I am going to make it , my wife may not make it, I will try to save her ,but its like learning to swim , you practice until you can , if you want to learn to fly you practice until you can , if you dont practice survival , prepping , how to make fire ,how to cleanse water , you wont be able to do it when the time comes , that means YOU will have to do it all and if you live in the city you might as well times that by the neighborhood , because no one else will be ready except you !
You can hit some people in the head with a 2x4....others need hit twice...........:rolleyes::xeye:

Have the family practice the little things , at least be aware ! Im not saying ditch the family but if your hurt , you might as well call it a day cause theres gonna be no one else to help you! My wife doesnt know anything and will tell you repeatedly if SHTF **** it Ill just die cause I wont eat that crap you eat , and I dont drink water anyway , you might be able to survive for awhile (doing all the work) , but psychologically it will come to a boiling point , and love or now love its gonna end !
Come now....you're typing gibberish here..........

Now children are different story altogether ,you will do whatever it takes because they cant , but having them prepared is a good thing because they will want to contribute!
Didn't you just say this above...........
"If you have a family ,say a wife and 2 kids for example , if your the only one that preparing , then when SHTF YOU will be the only one surviving! "
:confused::confused:

Like I said Im not trying to flame anyone here , Im trying to make it known that everyone needs to help out or its gonna be a long hard survival!

PS . I love my wife , I try ona daily basis to keep the plan alive about survival, probably sounds like a broken record to her, but she might actually get something from what I say , who knows ,I will help her if the time comes , but like I said you cant do it alone for 2 !
Phhhttt!

How many responses did you get where you posted this before? Post up a linky so we can go look at the ashes...........or is it still on fire?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,539 Posts
Just because the family doesn't share your interest in prepping, doesn't automatically doom them to death. That's flawed logic.

They would have a big adaptation to make. But humans are surprisingly flexible. Especially when the lives of their children are in danger. The wife may not have any survival skills right now. But I bet she'd be by your side working with you for the good of the family. If she wouldn't, then she isn't much of a wife and mother to begin with.

·
Great White Hunter
33 Posts
Horse-****. All of it. My wife isn't a prepper and she doesn't really know how much I am. She thinks I'm kinda silly when I talk about it. But that's ok, you know why?

When SHTF she'll say "You were right!" And in that glorious moment where a spouse admits that they were wrong, I won't open my mouth to say "I told you so" instead, I'll wait just a little longer and her next words will be "What do we do next, what do you want me to do."

And unless you're a pathetic creep who would rather let their spouse die because she didn't agree, you'll have a partner who will work with you to make it safely out the other side.

I guarantee it.

·
Banned
647 Posts
When shes starving and your kids think its cool to eat from bags of dried food that turned into full blown "yummy" with a little boiled water from your sterno stove or your jet boil, I have a feeling she will start eating. Eventually she will be pooping in the woods or in a bag lined bucket in a closet somewhere while reading the latest Lymans reloading manual.

·
Registered
560 Posts

I prep for three and I also add a little extra to give to the community effort if there is one. I would help out the good guys and defend myself against the bad guys. After Katrina people lost trust for the authorities and first responders because they pretty much only helped disarm law abiding citizens and did nothing to improve the situation. Now that it is federal law that authorities cannot confiscate your firearm I will consider anyone trying to take my property (such as my firearms) by force to be a criminal and I will shoot them no matter what uniform they have on, but if the authorities are doing the right thing and going after the true bad guys and are not trying to confiscate my firearms and need help, I am willing to supply them, provide ammo and some firearms if necessary. In order to survive you will need to be able to adapt and have the willingness to work with others.

·
Banned
807 Posts
My wife thought it was stupid at first.(and so did I befor I woke up to what is around me) but after a while i pointed things out on tv and it made sence to her but she was still a bit against it. so i sat her down and said "babe i love you and i know you will not like it when SHTF and neither will i but i love you. and i want you to be with me until the day i die'' and ever since then she has been on board. infact she has even contributed to some items in the BOB

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts

That is why it is important to prepare for your loved ones.

Never trust them for a second! Even the little ones will try to sneak your food away from you why you are busy fighting the Zombies. The Wife will probably take the opportunity to go with that strapping big Raider after she rats out where you hid the PM's. Though it will be hard, you will have to learn to move fast and never sleep as long as one of them are about.

Now some will say that preparing for the family makes sense because it is a large source of meat for after SHTF. Just be sure to stock plenty of Tabasco, salt and other condiments.

Judging from all the literature and the fact based disaster movies, even if you lose your family, that it will not take too many scenes of hardship before finding the perfect mate. Sometimes, plucky children will be included! :cool:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts