Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, while mowing, I noticed that the raised Strawberry bed I planted last year was finally producing a few red berries. There were lots of green berries and about half a dozen red berries. I also noticed that my “hen of the woods” mushroom that grows in the crotch of my maple tree every year had reached about 10” in diameter. Typically, it grows to around 4 or 5 pounds every year.
This morning, I decided I would go pick those red berries for my lunch. Unfortunately, every berry in the entire bed was gone, including all the green ones. Not only that, my prize mushroom was gone from the maple tree as well.
Now one might consider an opossum or raccoon as the culprit, but I have 5 dogs out back that kill every ‘possum or ‘**** that ever ventures onto the property. They absolutely go nuts if any animal comes into their yard. In fact, they have developed a habit of standing on their back legs on top of their dog houses just so they can see further across the meadow, field and woods that is adjacent to our property. Barking at the wildlife is their favorite pastime.
Now for the really weird part: Not only did all my berries and my prize mushroom disappear last night, but my water faucet on the backside of the house was turned on and left on as well. And it’s not the first time that this has happened. In fact, because this has happened before, I always make a point of turning the faucet off very tightly to rule out vibrations or some other natural occurrence.
The dogs did not make a sound last night, which is very unusual in of itself. Usually they are barking at this or that or whatever but they were quiet from about 11pm to daybreak. I didn’t think much about it until finding the thievery this morning.
As I mentioned, this not the first time strange things have happened here. In the last 3 years, the faucet has been turned on, and left on, 10 to 12 times during the overnight hours. Stranger yet, it always occurs between early June and early December.
Last year, my pear tree was stripped completely clean in one night. There were pears in the top of that tree that were 12 feet off the ground but every last one of them was gone! There was well over a bushel of pears in that tree and even if a deer could avoid the attention of my dogs, there is no evidence that they can climb trees!
Two years ago, every cantaloupe in my garden disappeared in a single night. I had my favorite dog, Duke, tied out on a running cable next to the garden to keep the wildlife in check. He would typically kill several ‘possums or ‘***** every summer. He made no noise that night. I would have awoken if he had because my bedroom window is nearby. Duke was the best dog I’ve ever owned.
The weirdest part of that whole incident is this: There were no tracks of any kind in the garden the next morning. That garden measures 25 feet by 100 feet and I scoured it for any signs of prints and found nothing. I remember having to wear overshoes because parts of the garden were still wet from the rain we received 2 days earlier.
Late last summer, Duke was killed while on guard duty next to that same garden. I found his 90 pound body laying half way into his doghouse with a broken neck. I know his neck was broken because his head was twisted back beneath his body as though his body was shoved into the doghouse.
I have never told the wife and kids the details of our beloved pet’s demise because, frankly, I can’t bear the thought of moving back into the city.
There is also a woods across the street from our home. It drops down into a draw just 30 feet from the road. On more than one occasion in the evening hours, I have had the sensation that I was being watched. On a couple of occasions, my son and I have heard heavy footsteps coming from that draw during the dusk to dark part of the day. I used to think it might be a hunter or hiker or something, but whenever I have looked down into the draw from above, I’ve never seen anyone or anything. To tell you the truth, since our dog was killed, I don’t look anymore… I just go inside…
Obviously, night vision and trail cams might be helpful but they are price prohibitive for me at this juncture in life.
BTW, we live in the northern third of Indiana which hasn’t had any bears in 200 years.
So, has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? If so, what was the cause?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Do you have no trespassing signs or a fence up on your property? Sounds to me like someone has gotten in good with your dogs (throwing them meat or something until they get friendly). You ever leave the place unattended?

We have squirrels that get into our fruit trees and eat the fruit. Not sure what kind of tree cover you have, or how vigilant your dogs are at night.

Whatever is coming through your property at evening, you need to nip it in the bud post-haste. If you can't afford fencing, put up fluorescent line on posts and hang no trespassing signs. Make up a sign that alerts people to the fact that you notice what is going on. Something like:
"No trespassing. If you trespass between dusk and dawn, you will be considered a threat to my safety and will be shot. Vandalism and theft is noticed and will not be tolerated."

I'm not advocating that you actually shoot someone. Stay up one night, armed of course, and see if you hear anyone outside. I'd recommend being inside with a top window open, or second story if you have one. If you hear something outside, fire off a round into a safe backstop (dirt/wood/whatever) and see if you can make out the scrambling as a human or animal.

Have you called the police about what you hear in the draw? Have you called the police about the other things? Something's gotta give. It ain't ghosts.

Don't jump at shadows. Keep cool, stay armed, stay safe. You will figure it out sooner or later.

·
Super Moderator
20,670 Posts
That is just creepy.

Are the dogs "normal" in the morning? (Could the thief be giving them drugged meat?)

Because you can't afford the cameras, I'd try what Eugene said with the string and cans and also call the police and let them know what is going on.

Good luck (and sorry I couldn't be more helpful)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yesterday, while mowing, I noticed that the raised Strawberry bed I planted last year was finally producing a few red berries. There were lots of green berries and about half a dozen red berries. I also noticed that my “hen of the woods” mushroom that grows in the crotch of my maple tree every year had reached about 10” in diameter. Typically, it grows to around 4 or 5 pounds every year.
This morning, I decided I would go pick those red berries for my lunch. Unfortunately, every berry in the entire bed was gone, including all the green ones. Not only that, my prize mushroom was gone from the maple tree as well.
Now one might consider an opossum or raccoon as the culprit, but I have 5 dogs out back that kill every ‘possum or ‘**** that ever ventures onto the property. They absolutely go nuts if any animal comes into their yard. In fact, they have developed a habit of standing on their back legs on top of their dog houses just so they can see further across the meadow, field and woods that is adjacent to our property. Barking at the wildlife is their favorite pastime.
Now for the really weird part: Not only did all my berries and my prize mushroom disappear last night, but my water faucet on the backside of the house was turned on and left on as well. And it’s not the first time that this has happened. In fact, because this has happened before, I always make a point of turning the faucet off very tightly to rule out vibrations or some other natural occurrence.
The dogs did not make a sound last night, which is very unusual in of itself. Usually they are barking at this or that or whatever but they were quiet from about 11pm to daybreak. I didn’t think much about it until finding the thievery this morning.
As I mentioned, this not the first time strange things have happened here. In the last 3 years, the faucet has been turned on, and left on, 10 to 12 times during the overnight hours. Stranger yet, it always occurs between early June and early December.
Last year, my pear tree was stripped completely clean in one night. There were pears in the top of that tree that were 12 feet off the ground but every last one of them was gone! There was well over a bushel of pears in that tree and even if a deer could avoid the attention of my dogs, there is no evidence that they can climb trees!
Two years ago, every cantaloupe in my garden disappeared in a single night. I had my favorite dog, Duke, tied out on a running cable next to the garden to keep the wildlife in check. He would typically kill several ‘possums or ‘***** every summer. He made no noise that night. I would have awoken if he had because my bedroom window is nearby. Duke was the best dog I’ve ever owned.
The weirdest part of that whole incident is this: There were no tracks of any kind in the garden the next morning. That garden measures 25 feet by 100 feet and I scoured it for any signs of prints and found nothing. I remember having to wear overshoes because parts of the garden were still wet from the rain we received 2 days earlier.
Late last summer, Duke was killed while on guard duty next to that same garden. I found his 90 pound body laying half way into his doghouse with a broken neck. I know his neck was broken because his head was twisted back beneath his body as though his body was shoved into the doghouse.
I have never told the wife and kids the details of our beloved pet’s demise because, frankly, I can’t bear the thought of moving back into the city.
There is also a woods across the street from our home. It drops down into a draw just 30 feet from the road. On more than one occasion in the evening hours, I have had the sensation that I was being watched. On a couple of occasions, my son and I have heard heavy footsteps coming from that draw during the dusk to dark part of the day. I used to think it might be a hunter or hiker or something, but whenever I have looked down into the draw from above, I’ve never seen anyone or anything. To tell you the truth, since our dog was killed, I don’t look anymore… I just go inside…
Obviously, night vision and trail cams might be helpful but they are price prohibitive for me at this juncture in life.
BTW, we live in the northern third of Indiana which hasn’t had any bears in 200 years.
So, has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? If so, what was the cause?
Are you trying to yank our collective chains here or what?
If not I'm calling bigfoot on this one.

There.. I said it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Go into the woods and confront your fear. Go armed, but do not engage your target unless it is a direct threat to your life. It will help you get past your fear of the unknown, and maybe you will find bear sign or see some critters to explain the missing fruit. Sometimes even very good dogs sleep like logs. You could set off a fire cracker next to my dog when he is snoring and he would not twitch. Racoons are ninja's. They also love mushrooms. :thumb:

Are you trying to yank our collective chains here or what?
If not I'm calling bigfoot on this one.

There.. I said it.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Seeing as you are in the northern 1/3 of Indiana I'd say someone has found a way to feed the dogs to shut them up while they robbed you. Your dog that was killed was probally growling and wouldn't be quiet so he was killed to silence him. There are no large animals in that area or places that could support one (sorry big foot fans). I know, I grew up there. This is the work of humans. Get a game camera or two and set them up. Also at night put some large, dark painted boards with nails sticking up around randomly where they're stealing. Not lethal but will definitely discourage a prowler when he steps on it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That's just too scary and very dangerous. As someone suggested, call the police and let them know what's going on in case (God forbid) something happens to you or someone else in your family. If the guy killed your dog, it is probably not beyond him to kill any human (you) who threatens his way of life.

This may even be someone who is wanted by the police for murder or who knows what else.

Call before he gets into your house during the night and harms or abducts someone.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know you say that trail cams and night vision are cost-prohibitive, but try looking on Craigslist. There might be something decent and cheap there. You could also try making your own, though I can't vouch for how well the things work: http://www.instructables.com/id/Infrared-Webcam/?ALLSTEPS A really cheap webcam costs $15-20.

I also agree with contacting the authorities. If it was just one time or even two times, I'd say it's probably some hoodlums playing pranks (even if you're out in the middle of nowhere). But this sounds like it's probably the same person. Someone who is even taking the time to erase their tracks from wet ground. Why? Most people probably wouldn't even think of that. What are they hiding from (aside from your wrath at the fruit-stealing)?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do you live near farmlands, could it be migrant workers? Are you near heavily used railroad tracks? It could be homeless or people trying to feed their families. In other words you could very well become a threat if you try to confront them without protection. Run some halogen lamps out to your garden, stake your dogs up and keep watch with your rifle. Forewarn the police what has been going on and what you are going to do. Talk with neighbors and see if they have been having problems with theft also. If they haven't, or if they are the culprit, this will let them know that you know about it and are taking steps to guard your property to warn them off.

·
Logic is my Super Power
1,057 Posts
Just because you haven't had bears in the last 200 years, doesn't mean you don't have bears. They are migrating into civilization, especially brown and black bears. We have black bears here and at least once or twice a year, we have a car vs. bear strike.

Bears do leave tracks though they can be hard to see. They will kill dogs and I've seen bears walk through without alerting the dogs...weird, I know, but the dogs won't bark at them...unless they get really close; not sure why. We don't have a big problem with bears getting into our gardens here because we have so many "loose" dogs running around, I guess, and a pack of coyotes in the woods. (the farmers are getting rid of those, however).

If it were me, I'd set up some trip wires and noise alerts out there, and do a night watch for a few nights, see what's out there. You don't have to have fancy gadgets to protect your place, just some common sense and safety. I'd guess at bears or people, but most likely bears. They are pretty easy to scare away, at least the ones down here are...hogs...not so much but hogs don't climb trees...yet. ; )

·
VERITAS AEQUITAS
451 Posts
Talk to your neighbors. Talk to county police. Set out some goodies and pull a all nighter. And arm yourself everywhere you go. Sorry bout your dog.

·
Thinker
973 Posts
I once came home to find my shed door ripped in half and a few of the boxes in the yard. I called the sheriff, thinking I was robbed, maybe by some neighborhood kid or vagrant When he got there, he chuckled a little as he showed me the proof that I wasn't robbed... 2 sets of claw marks on the top of the door where a bear had apparently grabbed it and tore it open.

To make a long story short, I repaired the door, only to find it broken into another night. Then, I ended up leaving the door open for about a week, which I guess was long enough to satisfy my nit visitor that there was nothing of interest (aka food) in the shed, and his visits stopped after that.

The moral to the story is.. don't lay in wait unless you are ready to confront whatever it is that is haunting you. Ghosts maybe?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Go into the woods and confront your fear. Go armed, but do not engage your target unless it is a direct threat to your life. It will help you get past your fear of the unknown, and maybe you will find bear sign or see some critters to explain the missing fruit. Sometimes even very good dogs sleep like logs. You could set off a fire cracker next to my dog when he is snoring and he would not twitch. Racoons are ninja's. They also love mushrooms. :thumb:

I thought the picture was my neighbor's brother in law.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts