Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a good bit discussion on the web site about backyard gardens and orchards; so I thought this would fit right in if you live in the Houston Area.

This is an annual Fruit Tree Sale sponsored by the local Master Gardener's association. I understand this is one of the best places to find dwarf size fruit trees in this area.

http://harris-tx.tamu.edu/hort/event/jan2009.htm#fruitsale

January 10
Master Gardener Fruit Tree Sale & Symposia
SALE: 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
SALE PREVIEW: at 8 a.m.
SYMPOSIUM: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m
Free and open to the public. No RSVP.
Texas AgriLife Extension Service
3033 Bear Creek Dr, Houston, TX 77084
Printable flyer with map
Printable sale catalog

·
Registered
28 Posts
Another tree sale

There is also another fruit tree sale at
Rice University Football Stadium Concourse, Greenbriar between Rice and University Blvd

9th Annual Fruit Tree Sale

Saturday January 17, 2009

9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

There is more info and a price list at the site.

http://www.urbanharvest.org/classesevents/calendar/tree_sale_2009.html

Those Meyer Lemons and Marrs orange do really well here in Montgomery county, just north of Houston! My Mother in laws' trees produced really well, we are still eating fresh oranges and lemons.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks! We're planning on getting two dwarf orange trees, two dwarf lemon trees and two of whatever my boys pick out.

I hope you will get great results with your trees. My MIL's lemon tree is something else. I am shocked how many lemons she gets from that little tree and they are big, nothing like the store bought and sweet too! And the oranges, wow, they are so good. :thumb:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, we go two Meyer's Lemons, and two Cara Cara Oranges, which together will eventually provide fruit (and vitamin C) September through May, if the books are right. And one son picked up a (self-pollinating) plum tree, that starts producing in June, so we'll have something coming ripe nearly all year long. My other son was disappointed, because he wanted an apple tree, and they were all snatched up quickly. There were several hundred folks there--and the good trees went fast. So I'll hit the show Cheryl indicated and get the apple tree. The trees are little buggers--in three gallon pots--so it'll be a few years before they are up and running for good, although the lemons are already budding (I'll snip any fruit buds this year).

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
My mother is a master gardener living in Houston,. She and my dad have two Meyer Lemon trees. Bumper crop this year. They were busy recently juicing and freezing. I wish I could grow one in North Georgia. The flavour is superior to anything from the store.

You all in Houston might also consider joining the Herb Society of America. They have a very vibrant and busy chapter in Houston and throughout Texas. Many seminars, gatherings and events and plant trading/sales.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Meyer's Lemon and a Republic of Texas Orange.:D:

Will also try to get to the Urban Harvest this coming Saturday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts