Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As women, we strive for survival for our family. As preppers, we prepare a little more than most other women. Part of that is to be able to handle problems and catastrophes as they happen and keep on moving.

I haven't cried, I haven't yelled, and from the outside I have it all together. But inside I am angry, mourning the loss of our livestock, and fearful of the kind of world that is coming and the s hasn't even hit the f yet! A young cow, a bull, and two steer calves can create a lot of meals for many years. Those meals will now not be had by my family.

I feel guilty that I can't just shake this off and move along. Is it wrong to need to vent a little? Am I right to be angry and hurt? Is paranoid taking it a little too far? If they came that far into our property to get to the cattle, they must have seen what else we've got going on.

I have to consider the "big name" delivery truck drivers that have been making regular deliveries to my "off the beaten path" home. Yesterday, one admired something in our yard and asked if it was for sale. Who does that?

I will wait until tomorrow to call the sheriff, if we call them at all. I'd rather maintain our privacy. At the same time, I feel like I should report the theft. I am just on the fence about it. I don't think there's much of a chance of recovering them, and having the locals out in our business isn't too appealing either.

The main thing is I feel that I need to handle this as I would any other bad situation in a SHTF scenario. If I get rattled about this, how am I going to keep calm about looters a year from now?

Perhaps I am too worried about being too worried. Does that make sense? I was just hopng someone would have something smarter to say than I can currently come up with.

At the very least, I wanted to warn others out there that this kind of crud is going on. I guess it's back to prepping, and determining better security.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Sorry for the intrude into your private domain ladies. Report the theft, as there may have been others in your area and your local law enforcement may have information that could be beneficial to you. if nothing else, if they find cattle matching what you lost, even though it's a remote chance if they were actually stolen, you could possibly get them back. Are you sure they didn't bust down a fence and wander off?

·
Registered
784 Posts
well with out any form of permanent ID that cant be removed then your right there is little chance of getting them back. im sure that you have already done it but have you checked your fences n asked your neighbors, they may have crawled through the fence in a spot where the fence is down. but i would call the sheriffs office.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We checked the fences. I'll call the sheriff tomorrow to see if anyone has reported found cows though. And I WILL be at the local livestock auction this weekend. Even though I can prove nothing, they weren't branded.

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Very sorry to read. If you do get more livestock I hope you will brand or tattoo it so you can make sure that the rustlers are brought to justice. I understand wanting to keep private what you have but you also have to protect your holdings.

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
433 Posts
Call the Sheriff, use him cause you paid for him. So far the advice is all excellent and actionable. But to answer the one question - yeah go ahead and rant. Once you have cooled off you will have a clearer mind and be better able to take command of the situation, any situation

One reason I don't have mail sent to my home address but to a private mail service. Costs a little more but I don't get the wandering hands and eyes. I ave had stuff go missing and UPS or FedEx can't find it, all those computers and scanners and the stuff just disappears.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We checked the fences. I'll call the sheriff tomorrow to see if anyone has reported found cows though. And I WILL be at the local livestock auction this weekend. Even though I can prove nothing, they weren't branded.
And it wouldn't hurt to contact any local meat processors as well--some here buy cattle to process and sell to the public, rather than just processing for the producer.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
On the bright side, you will never have to serve on a jury. Just let them know how mad you were and that you are still vengful.

I agree with branding.
What about any type of camera. Even if all you could pick up was the color/type of vehicle, that would help the Sheriff. (and set your mind at ease that it was not the UPS guy)

Sorry for your loss.

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
I agree with the others - let the sheriff know - if you wait, he may wonder why you waited.

Over here some people put i.d. chips in their animals and put up signs that the animals are chipped.

I'm sorry you lost this stock, not only do you have the loss of valuable animals but also the sense of the violation of your boundaries.

Rant or cry away, I think it is a perfectly normal reaction.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the cattle or family pictures with the cattle in the background?
Something that would show you had them and what they looked like. It would be kind of hard to say they were not yours if you have pictures of your kids sitting on top of them.

·
All over Europe
3,360 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the cattle or family pictures with the cattle in the background?
Something that would show you had them and what they looked like. It would be kind of hard to say they were not yours if you have pictures of your kids sitting on top of them.
Now THAT'S a good idea! Nice one!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sorry for your loss. But was just wondering if inserting a chip, like they do for dogs & cats, would be beneficial? Don't know, just a thought that come to mind. If your herd is not too many, it's just a thought. Yes, by all means, notify LEO. I'm not too far east of ya'll, and it has happened in this area, as well.

·
Bushwacker
1,479 Posts
Consider whoever it was to either live nearby or work nearby. I'd keep my eyes out for suspecious passerbys. If you haven't done it already, I'd set boobytraps such as tire holes, or a hidden motion camera. I'm sorry for your lose, but the satisfaction of catching them even if 2 years down the road can be extreamly satisfactory.

·
Banned
12,043 Posts
Of all the things you don't expect to hear about in this day and age it's cattle rustlers lol. Seriously I am really sorry to hear this happened. I imagine those animals cost a lot of money.

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Sorry about your loss.

Walk the fences again.

Check the neighboring pastures. Two or three propertys in all directions. Last winter we had a cow get on our land and stay a few weeks. She came thru, under, or over five fences to get there.

Creek thru the property? Sometimes they will squeeze thru there and out.

Theft is very common. Someone liberated six cords of stacked firewood from our land last year. Had to cut it again for the winter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We found them! I am so glad it wasn't that there are terrible people out there stealing our cows. The sheriff deputy found them about half of a mile away behind a church grazing. They're not responding to feed, so we're going to have to try to usher them back here down the road. It's not going to be easy getting them home, but at least they're okay. Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I really appreciate it.

And if I hadn't called the sheriff, we may never have found them before they were hurt. So thanks for that recommendation.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts