Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call yesterday from BOA stating my card #'s were manually punched in in Cali. for $300+ for shoes. They tried it again yesterday in Maryland (?) for another $400 for Pumas. They caught it, but HOW did they get it. Some friends suggested they guess at #s til one hits , then sells it. I don't do advances, so the camera thingie isn't it. I've bought off Amazon and Patriot supply recently, but was told they don't even see the entire #. Any clues????

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
By "skimming" your card number from a gas pump or ATM. They place a card reader on the gas pump or ATM, and almost all folks would have NO CLUE. It happened to me with my debit card. And they emptied my bank account!

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I had the same problem with my BOA card. I suspect it was while ordering from Amazon also. I was told that the scumbags guess at the numbers and then get lucky. BOA did not charge me for the purchases that were made by the theives.

Some people set up a second card/account for online purches.

Good Luck

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen the skimming thing on TV. I've got gas a bunch at one place, but it's the correct "slot" so to speak. At least I'm not on the hook for it, but who buys $800 worth of SHOES?!?!?!?!:xeye:

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
I've seen the skimming thing on TV. I've got gas a bunch at one place, but it's the correct "slot" so to speak. At least I'm not on the hook for it, but who buys $800 worth of SHOES?!?!?!?!:xeye:
There doesn't have to be a slot. They can attach a card reader any where fairly close to the slot, and disguise it. Good point though, who in the hell DOES buy $800 worth of shoes?? I hope you catch 'em so you can prosecute!

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Same here , some one that we trust stole the CC# and payed their cable bill of 100 dollars. Luckily the wife caught it since they seen that it worked they tried to pay their house note, but the card was cancelled by then. It was a local store or day care that took the number.
I also think that the cable company is just as criminal as the lady that stole the number but they know that no one is going to pay 500-1000 dollars on court and legal cost to get their 100 dollars back. If the lady could not supply the security code on the back of the card the cable company should not of accepted payment, hell they never do for me anyways unless I have the 3 digits on the back of the card.:mad:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
yep, happened to me too. A charge of $197 was attempted on my business card for magazines from Australia. They used the incorrect 3 digit code so the sale was a no-go. But it really messed me up when I attempted to make a big purchase from one of my manufacturers and my card was declined. I was on the road, so didn't realize that my cc had been compromised. Big pain in the butt.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I have my Boa Debit Card set up where I get an email after each purchase. It saves a lot of worrying. Last year some Pizzeria in Brooklyn tried to charge $$$ to my account, I immediately stopped it by calling BOA. Funny thing, I haven't been to Brooklyn since I spent time there with my aunt as a kid. I wish my folks had kept up my my cousins there, it would have been a great opportunity to have them break someone's leg for family far away. :)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Yay an area I know something about!

1. Never pay with a credit card/debit card at the following.
restaurants, gas stations, any place were people have acess to tamper with a credit card reader or walk away with your card.
2. Have a dirty card. I have a rechargeable debit card I use for my weekly dirty risky transactions such as gas stations.
3.get your banks mobile app and check your stuff weekly.
4. have a quick call out list.
All, your credit/ debit information along with phone numbers at your house so you can quickly call,out to recover your cards
5. If you have rfid touch credit cards buy a rfid blocking wallet.

Get your states identification card and keep it at home. So id your wallet gets stolen you can prove who you are.
nothing better than telling a cop why yes sir I have TWO forms of identification!

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Got a call yesterday from BOA stating my card #'s were manually punched in in Cali. for $300+ for shoes. They tried it again yesterday in Maryland (?) for another $400 for Pumas. They caught it, but HOW did they get it. Some friends suggested they guess at #s til one hits , then sells it. I don't do advances, so the camera thingie isn't it. I've bought off Amazon and Patriot supply recently, but was told they don't even see the entire #. Any clues????
Ohh man there are tons of ways to get your credit card numbers.

Emails, hacking, going through your trash (statements have the entire account number), receipts, keystroke logger on your computer, tampering with readers, phishing scams, RFID readers.

"guessing" I do not buy since they also have to guess the exp date also and in some cases the 3-digit verification code.

If there is a "good thing" out of it is that credit card frauds are easy to take care of. Debit card transactions can be a LOT harder to get back. I never use these online anymore.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Had this happen to me with my debit card. Someone tried to buy some shoes. I called the store where the shoes were bought and they canceled the transaction. Then I called my bank and they said they would go ahead and put the money back in my account until the transaction had cleared, and issued me a new card. It was a hassle, but the whole thing took less than ten minutes to clear up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts