Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ugh! I can't for the life of me get the nozzle sealer to get a suction going at all. I have the food close to the nozzle as per instructions. I've had the food 1/2 inch away, 1 inch away...everything. I'm worried that if I send it back they won't reimburse the $17.82 shipping even though I'm doing everything exactly as the instructions direct.

·
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush
10,176 Posts
Ugh! I can't for the life of me get the nozzle sealer to get a suction going at all. I have the food close to the nozzle as per instructions. I've had the food 1/2 inch away, 1 inch away...everything. I'm worried that if I send it back they won't reimburse the $17.82 shipping even though I'm doing everything exactly as the instructions direct.
In the back of the machine, there's a white plastic cover. Under that is a black plug that holds a little steel wool kind of filter. If that black plug comes out, it won't vacuum. Make sure it's on. Every 20 or so bags, mine just pops off. No big deal, I pop it back on and I'm fine.

Let us know if that solves your problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
sorbent Systems

I tried to return a food sealer I received a few days ago. The company wants to charge me $25 and only refund $74 for their $99 machine. The web site states that a 20% restocking fee could be charged but $25 is more like 25%. Plus the machine doesn't work! I am so disappointed in Sorbent Systems and hope no one tries to order any of their products, EVER.:mad:

·
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush
10,176 Posts
I tried to return a food sealer I received a few days ago. The company wants to charge me $25 and only refund $74 for their $99 machine. The web site states that a 20% restocking fee could be charged but $25 is more like 25%. Plus the machine doesn't work! I am so disappointed in Sorbent Systems and hope no one tries to order any of their products, EVER.:mad:
They are an odd company and I don't really understand their business model. They have products that just aren't available elsewhere (or at least I can't find elsewhere) so I have to take them at their word that they are manufacturing a lot of these products themselves. Then, a few of the bags I have bought from them are obviously, from the markings on the bags, products made 10 years previous by someone besides SorbentSystems.

I don't see anything in their marketing material that implies they make the Mylar sheeting from which their bags are made but, try as I might, I cannot find anyone else on the Internet that sells just the FDA approved metallized Mylar in 7 mil sheets or rolls.

They show pictures of products that, I assume, they have made for companies we all know and yet there are no indication that they do more than 50K or so bags a month for any customer. Not that 50K is a small number but it seems not to be a huge number of bags.

Their salesman called me after I placed my first order to confirm some information and treated me like I was his best customer. In our conversation he mentioned that the order was a day late shipping because, he said, that whenever any kind of disaster happens they get bogged down with orders from "the end of the world people." I guess by my second or third order, he figured out I was one of those people and not a commercial packaging customer. When I call now for sales, I get the same guy but he acts like I am on of his smallest customers - which I am sure we all, individually, are.

Their 4.5 and 7 mil bags are excellent. Their prices are much better than any of the survivalist suppliers - who are probably reselling SorbentSystems.com bags marked up.

Their oxygen absorbers are, their website claims, made in the United States of America. I don't know about the rest of you, I don't relish the idea of putting something like that from China in my food. I can only imagine what kinds of bad-for-you fillers might be in such a product from China.

They don't manufacture, or have manufactured, any of the sealers they sell, including the 99 dollar VS280. Any of them can be bought from dozens of online sites. Their price for the VS280 is about 20 to 50 dollars less than anywhere else I could find the sealer. They don't have a retail shop, as far as I can see from their website, so what are they going to do with the returned unit? They're going to lose a lot more than 25 dollars on it. If it doesn't work, return it to the maker and get warranty repair. Even better, spend some time with it; it might just be operator error. On the other hand, if you were close to me, I'd be more than willing to give you the 75 dollars they're going to give you for it. I have a dozen ideas of what I might do with a second VS280.

While I don't like the idea of any company thinking that my business is so certain that they don't have to offer good service or quality products, you should keep in mind that, as individuals, we are nuisance size customers to them. Their real business is in commercial packaging customers.

I had one order that was short 10 large 7 mil bags for buckets. Ten was all I ordered of that product so that meant the entire line item was missed - even though it was on the packing slip. I got busy and was out of town for work a lot over the next several weeks and didn't get to call them. It had finally been so long that I didn't even try. I don't know what they would have done had I called them but after over a month, it wouldn't have been their fault if they didn't replace the bags.

I am just glad that they have been smart enough, and willing enough, to allow us to order their excess product capacity for private use. Now, if all, or even a large number, of us "the end of the world people" could get together and create a co-op, then we would probably represent a very large customer in the scale of customers for SorbentSystems.

If anyone knows of a better stocked online supplier, with as good of quality or better quality, with even reasonably close prices, I'd love to hear it. I'm even willing to buy the 7 mil Mylar in large sheets or rolls and make my own bags. As it is, though, SorbentSystems seems to own the market.

For variety of products and quality of products, I don't think you'll find a better place to buy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to write me back. I will continue to try to make this work. I'm thinking some of the problem might be the purple mylar bags they had on sale. Every one I seal before work is "undone" when I get home. Can I ask you another question? Is it OK for some things to be sealed not so tightly if I'm just trying to protect it from bugs and such. For instance, granulated sugar? Thanks again for taking the time to "speak" with me.

·
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush
10,176 Posts
Make sure that you're not over doing the seal. If I am not mistaken, their colored mylar bags are 3.5 mil. I set the seal number to 3 or 4 for those. Let up on the seal bar as soon as the machine beeps. After doing a few bags, I move the seal timer down a notch until the machine gets too hot again (as determined by more melting or distortion of the two seal lines). Then take a long break - perhaps 20 to 30 minutes. You should clearly see the two seal lines. The biggest risks to maintaining the seal is either too long of a seal time or too short of a seal time.

The light-weight bags always end up with just a little bit of a kink where the nozzle had bulged the bag but it will seal just fine. The light weight (like the ones you're using) and the really heavy weight work best. I have more problem with the medium. The light weight seal over that little bump better; the heavy weight are too stiff to get the little bump. The middle-weight show the most distortion along the seal from where the nozzle was during the vacuum process.

Next, make sure you don't press the seal bar down too quickly or too slowly. You shouldn't lose more than a tiny bit of vacuum as you close it and the nozzle retracts. It definitely should not be loose when you vacuum sugar; it should be tightly packed. With the unit unplugged, you can practice pressing the seal bar (one hand at each end) until you are pressing it as fast as possible without interrupting the return of the nozzle. The nozzle needs to fully retract in order to get a good seal.

I know that sealer can be difficult to master. My wife won't mess with it. I'm just anal enough about my packed food to master the darn thing. Don't let it beat you. If it is sealing and vacuuming what you do before work, you only need to master the thing to get it to work so they're still sealed when you get home or still sealed next year.

Keep in mind, though, that the thin colored bags are pretty and colorful, you should stick with the PAK4V series or the PAKDRY1500 series bags for long-term storage (like 20 to 30 years). I'd say that the thinner ones have to be good for 5+ years, though.

Oh, make sure you're not sealing wet stuff in the Mylar bags with that machine. Freeze meats, etc. before vacuuming them. For foods that are going in the freezer, I use the Seal-a-Meal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for posting this!
Why the bay leaves?
Can you prevent nuts and whole wheat flour from going rancid by vacuum-packing them?
Will it prevent pantry moths and other bugs from hatching or thriving in the flour or beans?
Thanks for your trouble,
Maryfrances

·
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush
10,176 Posts
Thank you for posting this!
Why the bay leaves?
Can you prevent nuts and whole wheat flour from going rancid by vacuum-packing them?
Will it prevent pantry moths and other bugs from hatching or thriving in the flour or beans?
Thanks for your trouble,
Maryfrances
Removing the oxygen should prevent any bugs from living. If you don't get a good vacuum, some may hatch. The egg doesn't require the same amount of oxygen that the bug does but generally I never see a bug at all in my vacuumed products.

Nuts and whole wheat flour are high in oils that go rancid. Oxygen is a key cause (but not the only cause) of oils going rancid. Therefore, removing the oxygen slows down the process. I generally estimate an additional 50% in the shelf life of freshly-packed nuts or other products with oils in them - such as cake mixes, seeds, flour, etc.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
"
You mention above zippered vacuum bags. I am going to guess that you are using the hand held vacuum sealer that Ziploc has put out. If so I haven't heard anything but bad reviews from family members that have tried these for dry storage. I believe they might be good for freezing meat and vegetables.

Semper Fi !
Chris
I tried using the Ziploc vacuum seal bags on ammo boxes and the vacuum seals let go after a week. Not recommended!

But they work great for sealing fruit or chicken that I then freeze.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
The sealers you can buy at Wal-Mart or similar places will not vacuum Mylar bags or any other bags except what are called "channel bags". The term channel refers to the ridges which make an air channel. That allows the air to evacuate the bag under suction even though the rubber seal is pressing on the bag. Non-channel bags press completely closed under the seal. That's the purpose of the nozzle, to extend beyond the machines seal during the vacuum time and then to retract out of the way during the heat seal time.

To get a nozzle sealer that can vacuum Mylar and other non-channel bags, check out Sorbent Systems at http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html.

Just don't order any bags from them. I don't want them to be out of stock when I order more :D::D::D:
I use Ziploc freezer bags (non-channel) bags with no problems. If you cut right under the ziploc loc then fold about 1/4 of the bag back over itself (this keeps the bag open to suck all the air out-slower but it works) and insert into the machine it will vacuum seal the bag. I got tired of using the exspensive bags and set out to find a way to use regular bags-it worked.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I just ordered the SnorkelVac VS-280 and a bunch of mylar and plastic bags. Going to get to work sealing up my stuff when it comes in.
Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wife got me the SorbentSystems sealer and some bags for my birthday. Hopefully will be here soon and then off to pick up bulk rice, sugar, flour and other goodies for storage.

Vino

·
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush
10,176 Posts
If you have trouble with the dry powders, like sugar and flower, make sure you take out the wire mesh filter from the back every few bags and clean it. That makes the sealer work better and last longer.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts