·
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of now I have 3 cooking systems.
1. Fireplace, wood burning
2. Coleman stove, one burner
3. Volcano stove, small but usefull

I dont have alot of money but, here are my cooking systems. I continue to stock the propane and wood. also some candles and fatwood for the volcano stove. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I'd add a trangea; burns fine indoors unless you use isopropyl or booze. I keep one in the hurricane kit with a gal of denatured. 1oz will boil 4 cups of water; stove holds 3oz as well, and has a simmering lid so it'll stay burning on low for a very long time to heat up a pan. $20 for the stove with pot stand and windscreen on ebay, free shipping. $13 for gallon of denatured at Lowe's.

Do you have the converter to connect your coleman to one of the big grill sized propane tanks? Where I live people often throw their big tanks out because the movers won't ship them, or they're going overseas, so its easy to scrounge up a handful of the big tanks and keep them full. Or instead of the converter, there's a brass attachment to fill the small green tanks off the big tanks. I think the converter is like $15 and you'd be able to scrounge off grill tanks in a pinch.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts

·
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something else that is overlooked is a crawfish cooker.
OMG I love crawfish. My family calls um "mud bugs". I miss being able to just buy um on the side of the road. I can still round up some when i'm near the creeks, not nearly as big as down south though.:cool:

·
Registered
33,255 Posts
Don't forget your solar cookers, I've been practicing baking bread in mine. They are great if you don't mind the extra time it takes. Even works in the winter time for you cold weather folks and NO FUEL is needed.

The more 'cooking" options we have the better off we'll be

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Don't forget your solar cookers, I've been practicing baking bread in mine. They are great if you don't mind the extra time it takes. Even works in the winter time for you cold weather folks and NO FUEL is needed.

The more 'cooking" options we have the better off we'll be
That looks like one of those solar ovens from emergency essentials

·
Registered
33,255 Posts
That looks like one of those solar ovens from emergency essentials
yeah, this one is not mine, I don't have a picture of mine yet ready to post. I'm getting together a 5-10 picture thread to post soon of me baking some bread and a few other things....all in the snow :)

I would have never believed that a solar cooker would work this well...I'm very impressed and really like the fact that it runs on sunshine!

options, options and more options!!!

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I would have never believed that a solar cooker would work this well...I'm very impressed and really like the fact that it runs on sunshine!

This summer, I might try to use my pit as a dehydrator. Sitting in direct sunlight, the pit gets in the 130 degree range.

I thought about using a rack inside the pit, cut up some apples, put the apple slices on the rack and let them sit in the pit all day long.

·
Registered
33,255 Posts
This summer, I might try to use my pit as a dehydrator. Sitting in direct sunlight, the pit gets in the 130 degree range.

I thought about using a rack inside the pit, cut up some apples, put the apple slices on the rack and let them sit in the pit all day long.
I would bet that would work, from what I've heard you need three to four sunny days of at least 100 degrees in a row. It might take a little longer here in Ohio but your Texas heat should dehydrate pretty quickly.

I look forward to seeing your video/pictures of that!

·
Registered
33,255 Posts
I bought an adaptor for my 2 burner/over combo, I can use the large 20lb tanks or the little 1 lb tanks.

I was suprised how much cooking time I could get out of 1 lb LP tank. I turned on both burners on high and set the oven at 375 and it ran for a little over 3 hours.

·
Heart of Darkness
539 Posts
yeah, this one is not mine, I don't have a picture of mine yet ready to post. I'm getting together a 5-10 picture thread to post soon of me baking some bread and a few other things....all in the snow :)

I'm intrigued by this solar cooker idea. I'd like to try it out. Well, that is another thing to add to my list :)

I look forward to seeing your picture post regarding this.

·
Registered
33,255 Posts
I'm intrigued by this solar cooker idea. I'd like to try it out. Well, that is another thing to add to my list :)

I look forward to seeing your picture post regarding this.
You'll love it, the biggest plus (and it's all plus btw) is that it will stretch out your wood or LP gas supply or what ever your planning to cook or bake with. I currently have 5 cooking options and just like everything else survival wise, the more the better!!

·
Registered
33,255 Posts
Hell yeah!!!
I love me some meat!!! ;)
That's great, most women these days won't eat a good steak for some reason.

I'm a T-bone man myself, I love a good quality steak with a sweet potato and maybe a bunch of asparagus dripping with butter.

it's what's for dinner!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts