Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've seen that some people list slingshots in their BOB as an alternative to guns. What is your opinion on them? Could you actually kill small game like squirrels and rabbits to eat with a slingshot, or would it be strictly for defense? Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
A small crowbar around 40 cm is good additional weapon. It can also be used as opening jammed door or locked door in some cases. I got 2. One in my window and the other behind the main door, hidden discreetly.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've seen that some people list slingshots in their BOB as an alternative to guns. What is your opinion on them? Could you actually kill small game like squirrels and rabbits to eat with a slingshot, or would it be strictly for defense? Thanks.
Alternative ? NO It is how erver a nice tool if mastered and can provide small game for the table though.

Another nice tool would be 68cal paintball gun or 68cal delivery system, with the right kind of ammo that is, Have a peak

The MB68P rubber coater glass bullet that works in all paintball guns. Review? well see for yourself.

[/
Find them here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260776695372[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think it would suck in both cases. Using slingshots is not something you learn in a few hours.
I imagine it *would* take a while to get really accurate with it for hunting. I was just looking for an alternative ranged weapon that could deter people from coming close to you. Looking at it from a potential attacker's point of view, I would have no idea whether my intended victim was skilled with a slingshot or not, but I certainly wouldn't want them pointing a drawn slingshot at me. I guess what I'm looking for is a deterrent to keep someone away more than anything, and since firearms are just not something I want to carry, this crossed my mind.

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
To hunting if you are willing to put in the time they are better than throwing rocks or trying to run down a rabbit to choke.

To self defense it' would be a nuisance item more than a real deterrent to a man willing to harm you to get what he wants. A sling bullet would have to be in just the right place to be effective and considering most gunshot wounds are survivable your slingshot fades way back into the back ground as an effective tool.

A trip to the local sporting goods store to the baseball bat section would serve you better.

·
Registered
303 Posts
A trip to the local sporting goods store to the baseball bat section would serve you better.
If I'm going to let someone get that close, I already have pepper spray, a tactical flashlight, and a knife. I guess there isn't much else to keep people at range other than firearms, which I am not willing to carry.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
I got kids, I need extreme efficiency that I can control. I spent many hours on training and education long before I procured weapons. It all depends on what you consider self defense. Me personally, I am looking to defend a wife and two munchkins not just this beaten up old body I reside in.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A small crowbar around 40 cm is good additional weapon. It can also be used as opening jammed door or locked door in some cases. I got 2. One in my window and the other behind the main door, hidden discreetly.
Ah that is a good idea, and has multiple uses! :thumb:

·
Registered
113 Posts
That was a really duff video. Best to asked the experianced and not the learned. Walking to and from work and shops I don't normally have a bat or big spanner on me. What are good options 1. Be aware 2. Keep a low profile 3. Do not provoke others 4. Walk or run away at the first signs of violence. These things don't make for an exciting movie but they do keep you alive, thats the number 1 objective. I live in South London with rioting outside my door I monitored without being seen and sat it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts