Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
V
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I was reading http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=5366 earlier today and it got me thinking, raised some questions, thought I'd ask so here goes...........

1. How do you guys plan on living through your favourite SHTF scenario?
  2. How many people not involved know about your preps?
  3. How long do you think it'll be before people start to notice your not exactly wasting away standing in FEMA lines the same as everyone else?
  4. How do you plan on explaining the smell of your cooking to the passing starving masses?
  5. Those of you in appartments, with people noticing your commings and going alot closer than those in houses what are your plans?
  6. How many of you see thieving/ looting taking a place in your plans as a necessity?

For myself,
  1. I dont see TEOTWAWKI happening anytime soon I do foresee economic hard times ahead, Hell its already started people stealing food raiding gardens and cases of people starving right here in the UK
  2. Noone knows about my food stores, nieghbours know about our veg patch and chickens, should things get really bad then the chucks get moved inside and we'll work on the garden security its not too bad as is I know of only 1 weak spot
  3. If foods being given away I intend to be there in the queue like everyone else,
  4. As above, plus I intend on being seen with the odd rabbit squirrel or bird not enough to make it seem I'm a overly effective hunter/trapper just enough to alleviate suspicion, I'd rather get jumped for small game something I can drop and run than have my house raided.
  5. Doesnt effect me I'm in a house in the suburbs
  6. Yes BUT ONLY last resort depending how bad things got

Your Thoughts? plz share...........:thumb:

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Smudge;254709]Ok I was reading http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=5366 earlier today and it got me thinking, raised some questions, thought I'd ask so here goes...........

3. How long do you think it'll be before people start to notice your not exactly wasting away standing in FEMA lines the same as everyone else?
  4. How do you plan on explaining the smell of your cooking to the passing starving masses?
  5. Those of you in appartments, with people noticing your commings and going alot closer than those in houses what are your plans?
  6. How many of you see thieving/ looting taking a place in your plans as a necessity?
My basic plan is to have enough food, water, and basic necessities of life to hunker down right where I am. I have one very well stocked BOB in case I have to head for the mountains of Colorado which is a 5 minute drive from where I live. Since my BOB is now nearly 50 lbs., I have two more packs coming. One for my wife and one for my stepson. I will be able to add more stuff and distribute the weight. I'm 48 years old and I don't really think I could go very far with a 50lb pack on my back (not to mention my ammo belt with canteen, knife, compass, etc.)

I won't be standing in a FEMA line so I won't have to worry about that. If for some insane reason I feel there might be a need to stand in a FEMA line, I will send my extremely skinny, 20 year old stepson to stand in the line.

I manage an apartment complex and I know all the people in my close proximity. Some of them know that I am prepping. It's hard to hide that fact when you're carrying in cases and cases of food from Costco or coming home with a 5000 Watt generator or filling a 100 gallon water container outside your door. They also know that I have plenty of home protection. Some know that I'm no pushover considering the fact that they witnessed me punching a local drug dealer smack in his face a couple of months ago. There's really only one that I believe would or could become a threat. I'll cross that bridge should I ever come to it. I have the advantage. I'm looking ahead and I know what he's all about. He's not looking ahead and he doesn't know that I know.

Since I'm the manager here, I have access to a small storage room in a basement under the complex. I'm currently storing various odds and ends (some survival stuff like portable toilets, etc.) My next major investment will be a bunch of Earth Boxes (grow boxes), some full spectrum lighting, potting soil, and fertilizer. I will start a garden in this locked storage room for year around crops. The door leading into the basement is locked and the door leading to the storage room is locked. The door leading to the basement is just outside of the door to my residence.

What I'm also hoping to do is get other preppers to move to the complex to set up a sort of survivalist community. That's easier said than done.

·
Registered
958 Posts

1) Work through the stash of food and water. a few guns and a little bit of brain power.

2) Only a few people 'not involved' know that I am a survivalist... none have seen my stuff other than my guns, I dont fit society's stereotype of a survivalist, so I imagine those that I have discussed it with think Im full of ****... and the non-involved people all pretty much live 35 miles away.

3) I think people will be so caught up in their own issues that they wont notice who is where. And those that do notice will either be 'friendlies' or they will be non-friendly in which case they will be dealt with immediately, and quietly.

4) While Im not out in the boonies, Im in a smaller town outside of a major population center... far enough away from them to worry, and the locals wont be wandering down the street much either I dont think. Besides they wont smell the food, since my preps are modest staples, the aroma of beans and rice probably wont fill the air too much, but should the situation arise... I would explain it with a couple warning shots into the crowd, nobody wants to get shot.

5) N/A

6) If you mean ME stealing to supplement my own preps, then I have considered it. I dont forsee any situation outlasting my current supply. Thats not to say that I am sitting on an infinite supply of goods, just that I dont think anything SHTF around here will last that long.
But I would steal if I had to, anything from gas out of parked cars for the generator, to food or other supplies from stores, etc. It would have to be a life and death situation before I would steal from another person.

·
Banned
404 Posts
How do you guys plan on living through your favourite SHTF scenario
haveing been through one , i have not thought of any that sound like they would be my favorite..or the least bit fun!

well except that one,,where my plane crashes on an island inhabitited by semi naked Asian girls, that make the best margaritas ever and always seem to have a plate of hot wings on hand..:thumb:

1- one day at a time
2- 4 total- family- and they really dont know the extent
3- cant say they are already in some sort of assitance line , so maybe seeing me well off, is the norm for them:eek:
4- i had to cook that cat of mine
5- if the event is that bad i wont be here. If im stuck my ROE will be very aggressive in nature and i will attempt to relocate.
6- wont need to unless, all else fails, im stripped naked and all my stuff burned up,if not walk to point B,if thats burned,,point C...etc etc

·
Registered
497 Posts
How do you guys plan on living through your favourite SHTF scenario?
Right now staying as long as I can in my house making sure i have a full tank of gas after the supplies run out here or neighbours get wise leaving. Heading north to my wifes family's land. We would be able to stay with her family and we wouldn't be the only ones in the family leaving our city. She has a cousin here, he runs a Dojo and I have guns. His are up north.
How many people not involved know about your preps?
None not even the cousin knows if something happens in the city he can bring his family while we are planing to have enough for both we aren't telling him that:) we just started out and plan on using this place only until the roads are clear enough to move hopefully that will happen.
How long do you think it'll be before people start to notice your not exactly wasting away standing in FEMA lines the same as everyone else?
I'll be cutting down enough just to cut the hunger and keep energy up while the wife and kids eat normally. So I should lose some weight during the process. But hopefully I wont be here long enough for people to notice course this plan is like less then two months old at this point I'll see what happens in the coming months. I am thinking also of getting shirts that are too large for me now and wearing them so it looks like I am losing weight or at least my cloths hang off me a bit
How do you plan on explaining the smell of your cooking to the passing starving masses?
That I have no idea we are working with the idea of cooking as little as possible or at least not using much spice in our food we currently aren't eating meat so no tasty meat smells coming from here just rice and beans
Spices added after they are brought inside Soya sauce and Hot sauce.
Those of you in appartments, with people noticing your commings and going alot closer than those in houses what are your plans?
This is why as soon as my dd is done high school in a couple of years we are moving away from here this place is not a good location from which to see the end. We are stockpiling stuff but it's a slow process we have a family of 5 so it's pretty easy to pad our food supply no body really notices use bringing in extra. But we can't just pretended we aren't here.
How many of you see thieving/ looting taking a place in your plans as a necessity?
Hard for me to say we are Canadian in most of the situations around here the stuff happens and we all just chill and have a beer and a Bar-B-Que. However I am concerned about a long term situation coming apart at the seams after it all happens hence the plan to leave the city after the first few weeks.
Edit: Whoops misread that question I don't plan on looting if the people are home, if they have left as in headed out not coming back welllll I might borrow a cup of sugar if you get me meaning from the people in my building.

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Ok I was reading http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=5366 earlier today and it got me thinking, raised some questions, thought I'd ask so here goes...........

1. 1. Well I don't think I really have a "favorite" SHTF scenario except maybe mutant green alien squirrels attacking. But in the case of any SHTF I plan to stay as calm and open minded as possible. Work out a good strategy for everything I do and make sure I have a backup plan on top of my plans for plans. Basically I don't wanna screw up so I'll take give a lot of thought to situations as they come.

2. Two, but they won't be a problem.

3. Hopefully I stay out of sight enough that people won't notice me. If I have to go any place where people would recognize me I plan on looking as dirty and nasty and sick as possible. This is if I go anywhere, I still plan to stay low and travel out of sight.

4. I havn't given much thought to this. One thing I played aroudn with was hiding the smoke from my own fire by burning tires at different locations around. maybe possibly I could burn enough crap that it would block small. Of course this isn't very eco friendly but hey it could work. Other than that I would probably give the passerby's a load of crap like "That there is the smell of the bodies burning in the back, we lost two more last night." Would be kind of hard to explain If I'm cought licking my fingers after downing a bowl of stew on my front porch. Then again I'm laying low and outta sight. The smell of food would have to be highly investigated to find it's coming from me.

5. Does not apply to me.

6. I really wouldn't do any theiving or looting unless I absolutely had to. And since I prepare I woudln't need to loot for supplies except when it would be considered "scavenging" and the stuff I'm taking is long abandoned. Liek and materialist I do think about ways to acquire things I couldn't before any significant SHTF or collapse. But I keep my safety in mind and will only pickup that can of beans off that store floor when I know it belongs to none and I am not in danger.

-Cade

·
V
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
115 hits and only 5 replies, either y'all country folk OR I should have thrown in some random comment deriding some political or ethnic group :confused:

I have more questions but I wanted to field the first ones that spring to mind. :thumb:

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts

I hope my year's worth of preps and hunting/fishing skills will do as I live in the country.

2 nephews and (1 sister doesn't know but i expect her). I am planning on the 5 of them and maybe my 84 year old mom to show up...just in case. i know the nephews will come, and they are both state champs in marksmanship with 4-H. (BB, Rifle and shotgun)
    about 2 months. but iff they have lines, will send G/F and nephew's wife to stand in line (and sis if she shows)
    I am far enough out it shouldn't be a problem. Last 2 times G/F grilled burgers/sausage and i was smokin a boston butt at the same time, i walked the 4 minutes to the mail box and walked to end of the street and then North and south on main road...not alot to smell. if someone shows up, the dogs will alert first as always and I will meet them down by the road. If early on in a SHTF/EOTW situation I can explain it as emptying the freezer before it spoils...later on, i will have to turn them away...by force if needed.
    --N/A...live on 6plus acres at end of the road. next neighbor has 40 acres behind me...never seen them.
  6. How many of you see thieving/ looting taking a place in your plans as a necessity? I don't see it...unless my mom was to show up (84) and I needed some insulin for her or something. Right now she is iffy as i have 2 other brothers...one in a small town close to her and one 2 counties away from me in a simliar rural situation that she would be able to get to first.

No squirrels here...oddly enough, even tho I have 14 pecan trees scattered over my property...tons of rabbits...some deer...I have 6 rows that run crossways across property that are blueberries (4 varieties) I have 3 pear trees and only 2 apple trees right now.

Of course I have enough guns/ammo to hunt and defend with.
Sorry for the long post. Only my 500th.

73. :)

Reactions: Smudge

·
Preserve Protect & Defend
1,112 Posts
1. I plan to bug in to my home and stay put to defend my goods. I expect some major economic collapse along with severe politically based civil unrest and possible food riots. There fore I expect the government to declare martial law and attempt a gun round up and trouble destruction sweep. At that point I may be forced to bug out into the woods around my house and hope that at least some of my stuff is there when I return to it.

2. Maybe 3 or four know of my plans, only one is invited and that is not guaranteed depending on the scenario, the rest will be met as looters.

3. I plan to avoid Fema lines for as long as possible, when I am forced to go I will be wasting away. I fear major trouble and scrutiny in those lines.

4. I will not explain the smell of food, not many people get close enough to my house to smell it, if they are close enough then we have an issue.

5. Not in an apartment

6. Thieving and looting are certainly not in my plans, I am more worried about it being in other plans who reside near me. However if I run out of resources I will not avoid such actions at the cost of death, I will do what I need to do to survive and care for my clan.

Cool thread thanks for giving me an opportunity to write out my daydreams. I hope none of this ever happens but I think the economic collapse is unavoidable unless we start holding politicians accountable and forcing them to uphold the constitution.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
1. Day by day.
2. zero.
3. I plan to rabbit hole unless my building catches on fire, so little chance for people to notice.
4. I hadn't considered that one. Most of my 'cooking' would be reheating canned food on a 12v hotplate, I don't know how much smell would carry.
5. See #3.
6. Not as it stands, but I can't rule anything out.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No6 was primarily with people with special needs in mind meds and such ( i've heard a few people mention they couldnt stockpile meds) I didnt word it that way because I wanted to see what came up, not disapointed so far no Rambo's as yet. :upsidedown:

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
1 don't know what it will be yet so I guess day by day.
2 There are 4, all family, 2 are farming prepers better prepared than myself and we are working on the other 2.
3 I plan on staying out of sight as best I can, I've got supplies enough to last quite a while.
4 most of my cooking will be inside and contained, quick heating for a thermos or enclosed solar baking.
5 I live in the basement of a house with an entrance that isn't really noticeable. I'm not a social butterfly when it comes to the neighbors, I work 2nd shift and have very little contact with them, out of sight out of mind.
6 I figure I may have to go scavenging for some material items, wood, cloth, pvc pipe, things I may need in the future but this will be long after the owners are gone.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
My plan is to come round your place and have a chicken curry or two!

:D:

Sorry,
we live near a few nice woody areas, newly redesignated nature areas actually. I have been scoping these out for rabbit , squirrel and fish, duck, swan etc for a while now. There are also wild mushrooms and nettles and berries that will make good supplements. As well as this there are large quantities of trees etc that have been cleared to make room for new growth, so a good wood supply too.
This will all nicely supplement the stock we are working on, some grains pulses, rice pasta etc.
Failing that, a couple of hours away and there is some venison on the hoof and cows, horses and sheep if it gets really desperate.

Course if it goes nuclear it was nice knowing you.

·
Registered
122 Posts

1. As safely and quietly as possible...
2. I know *of* a couple other preppers, and they know *of* me...Nothing is said out loud...
3. I think most people don't really take notice of anything, at least that's what I'm counting on...Plus, my wife and I are skinny and pale already...
4. Most of my preps so far can be eaten without cooking...
5. I can't wait for my lease to expire...We have very little privacy here...
6. Not necessarily in those words, but salvaging and dumpster-diving may come in handy...:thumb:

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
favorite SHTF scenario? How about 'the most likely' SHTF scenarios?

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
3,425 Posts

1. You don’t get to choose. Stuff happens and that’s that. Best thing to do is analyze what’s more likely to happen, choose maybe the top 3 most likely situations and prepare for those.
    Many are related to one another. For example in my case.
    Economic collapse->inflation -> food shortages->high crime->totalitarian/dictatorial gov.
    And that’s just to mention a few.

[*]How many people not involved know about your preps?
    All of them? None. Some guys on the internet know most, but they are at the other end of the continent :D

[*]How long do you think it'll be before people start to notice your not exactly wasting away standing in FEMA lines the same as everyone else?
    People notice that you are in a better position, but you just lie, pretend to be in the same situation as they are. Play poor, broke, etc.
    It’s important to keep your mouth shut, that’s for sure.
    [*]How do you plan on explaining the smell of your cooking to the passing starving masses?
    You don’t. I don’t even answer the door if I don’t recognize the person. If I gave charity to every person that comes by almost everyday begging for food or money, I’d had a line of people waiting everyday, and a reputation I really don’t want to have (rich).
    [*]How many of you see thieving/ looting taking a place in your plans as a necessity?
    Real serious problem and one that if you don’t understand it, can get you killed. It’s not one with simple answers. Just shooting people isn’t an answer of any kind.

You need to avoid dangerous situations, be VERY aware of your surroundings. Specially when going in and out of your home. Your home must be VERY hard to brake into. Have an alarm system, preferably one that calls you on your cell when you are gone. Have a dog ( make that dogs) motion sensor lights. It’s important to have some kind of fence or wall (at least 7’ high) between your home and the outside.

FerFAL

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
my favroite SHTF is nothing bad happens, the economy explodes all the preps are for not. that is my hope/favorite SHTF

but most likely is a GREAT depression:

1. im to old to bug out with a pack on my back, drive out and set up a camp, yea i do that when i hunt.i'll try to hold on to what i got, and hopefully keep working. and try to avoid the food riots to come. hopefully will beable to hunt for food to supliment stocks

2. 3 ppl know a little but they dont even know where i live, but no 1 knows it all but me, not even my wife knows totally how much we got.

3. i hope to not stand in line.wear cloths x3 your size it will hide you some. dont go out in daylight unless you have to. you could act sickly if ppl are looking (cough, hack,cough,weezz)

4.dont cook for long periods of time there will not be hords of ppl where i am but neighbors can always be a problem. probbly cook in the garage. if i get lucky at hunting share with neighbors with just what i have killed. we can help protect each other if im bring in food they dont want me to stop.

5. depending on the SHTF looting = survival, if 10% of the ppl are gone(die) no i will not loot, but if 90% of the ppl are gone then i will be surviveing (looting)

·
American fearmaker
14,243 Posts
Having survived 19 months in Viet Nam and decades in law enforcement, all of my relatives sort of expect, almost demand, that if things get real bad that I will help them through the tough times. Since my cracker box house sets on top of a small hill, my relatives teasingly call it "The Headquarters" and they all say among themselves, "If things go bad, I'm heading to The Headquarters." Some of us have not volunteered for the role of survivor. Fate, circumstance or whatever has FORCED some of us to actually BE survivalists. When I was a kid all I wanted out of life was to make tractor parts, have a nice white house with a picket fence, marry my high school sweetheart and have the proverbial 2.4 kids but NOOOOOOO. Fate thrusts me, at bayonet point, in a totally different direction than I wanted to go. I can't walk the way I want to go. I get poked, prodded and frogmarched down that dirty, dusty road that turns into mud and fecal matter depending on what's happening in the world.Things get to the point that it finally becomes second nature and automatic for me to do "those extra little things" that the average citizen doesn't do. Joe Citizen buys six cans of food while I buy two cases. I store the extra and use a small portion. Joe buys candles for that nice romantic dinner with his significant other. I buy the same candles in case the power goes out. Joe buys a tarp to cover his expensive foreign car from small sticks falling off of a tree. I buy a tarp for an emergency shelter or in case I need to patch the roof of my house if it gets damaged. Joe buys traps because he has a small field mouse running around in his basement. I buy them in case I need to trap squirrels or rabbits for food. Joe has 3 gentlemen knives. I have all sorts of sheath knives, "just in case." Joe buys a hammer to drive nails. I buy a war-hammer to augment my hatchet. So, who in MY family knows about my abilities? ALL OF THEM. Who in my family EXPECTS me to help take care of them? ALL OF THEM. My wife actually ENCOURAGES me to buy ammo, rifles and handguns. I mention, in passing, that if gasoline prices keep going up it might not be a bad thing to have a motorcycle to ride around. Six months later my wife buys me a brand new, red, black and chrome Honda Nighthawk 750 cc motorcycle. My mouth dropped open when the guy delivered it. I couldn't believe it! It doesn't even phase my wife, sons or relatives a little bit when I store stuff in the garage for when SHTF. Everybody actually expects things like this out of me. Neighbors, co-workers, friends and just about everybody else expects me to help them out. What's funny is that I do NOT advertise. For some of us, like me, it just happens..... Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go out to my garage and talk to myself. I can't wait to see what I have to say about... Oh, never mind.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts