Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Hurricane Rita hit this area last year, it was interesting to see the variety of relief meal that were being brought into the area. The very first meals handed out in our town was real MREs (yes yes yes!!). MRE's were only handed out for 2 days, then packaged meals where brought in. I must have counted at least 5 different types of packages by that many different companies. This is one of the food boxes, still un opened from September of last year. Notice the tape on the box was still sealed. This box was supposed to be enough food for a family of 4 for a full day. You could probably live off this type of food for a few weeks, but expect to lose some weight.

Wornick company huh? Notice something here??

This box is still sealed, I opened it just to show you what is inside.

My knife, there are many like it, but this one is MINE!!!

Just opened, nothing has been touched. Notice the packing slip inside the box.

Four of everything, plus some extra spoons and forks. Those hooah bars have 272 calories per bar, with a variety of vitamins & minerals, and 15g of sugars. Each hooah bar has a total of 48g of carbs, Vitamin D - 20%, vitamin B12- 20%, vitamin E - 50%, vitamin k - 8%, plus a lot of other stuff.

This turkey and dressing is pretty good. I eat it at lunch, and I must say it is good. The slices of turkey are sitting on a bed of dressing, its good to. So there, this is an example of what kind of food you might see after a disaster. The national gaurd was throwing these boxes into people car trucks and truck beds. Only one box per car or truck. So if you have more then 4 people in your home, expect to have to drive 2 or more cars or trucks through the line. Ice was also being handed out, with two - three bags per car or truck.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Wornick company is a large supplier of food to the military - but I did not know they were suppling the relief meals. The HDR and the relief meals were both packaged by the Wornick company.

Reactions: joes

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
this makes me wish i had money to blow on more of my homemade MREs

Reactions: joes

·
Registered
345 Posts
It looks pretty much like what many of us have put together on our own using items from the local store. I have never heard of “Snack Toast” but I have seen everything else locally.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
It looks pretty much like what many of us have put together on our own using items from the local store. I have never heard of “Snack Toast” but I have seen everything else locally.
Snack toast is an overgrown version of a babies teething cookie more or less.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
the thing i dont like about them is you need power for a microwave to cook them.
if it was me i'd make my own that i could cook on a camp stove.

or this:
http://www.getreadygear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=100

peace
al
Actually, these little beauts can be heated in a pot of boiling water. Says so in small lettering on the box. Tried it on my last deer hunt and it worked like a charm. Just throw the unopened plastic container into a pot of boiling water for around 5 minutes. They can actually be eaten cold but taste like shiznet.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks Truth I myself was wondering how in the world you would heat that up. I knew that could be eaten cold, but didnt have to try it to know it would taste like crap. lol

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
wow... How about adding this to the list of things to show people who are not prep friendly. It took me a bit to realise that humanitarian daily ration did not come from the box. What an incredible waste! The box is half empty.

Please correct me if I have this wrong. The National Guard is trucking half empty boxes all over the place and people can drive through a disaster zone to pick this stuff up daily. That sounds really very efficient.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.