Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed lot of frozen and canned foods & grains (rice & pasta) gone.

BUT i noticed no one is buying chocolates, candies and sugary products?
Maybe its just one random store but at this time its worth getting high calorie density foods. Theres only so much food humans can eat out of cans and bland pasta before you get sick of it.

Chocolate also improves mood in case you get sick or bored of isolation etc...which is key for mental stability in such times.

Any other food items you noticed people are unknowingly not buying?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I bot lots of candy to make myself feel better if I stuck inside. But am thinking about passing on supermarket sushi and cheeses wrapped up in the store.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I noticed the cheese shelves were full, along with the lunchmeat and lots of hot dogs and no one is buying the sardines.. I did buy one of the Jenni-O frozen turkey meat dinners with gravy. That is 2 to three meals.

My plan is if we are ordered to lock down and shelter in place, just before I get home I'm loading up on fresh vegetables like heads of broccoli, cauliflower, celery, head lettuce (as that lasts longer than chopped bag salad), carrots, and 3 to 4 dozen eggs. Most of everything fresh will last at least 3 weeks. By the time that runs out, if I have to hit the canned preps, I won't need to live on those long.

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,720 Posts
I noticed lot of frozen and canned foods & grains (rice & pasta) gone.

BUT i noticed no one is buying chocolates, candies and sugary products?
Maybe its just one random store but at this time its worth getting high calorie density foods. Theres only so much food humans can eat out of cans and bland pasta before you get sick of it.

Chocolate also improves mood in case you get sick or bored of isolation etc...which is key for mental stability in such times.

Any other food items you noticed people are unknowingly not buying?
Your observations are a match for what I see in Scotland and the internet virus narratives seem focused on toilet roll, disinfectant soaps / sanitiser gels and pasta.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Haven't seen much of anything sold out over the last few weeks that hasn't been replenished, other than hand sanitizer. People are definitely panic buying but we don't have actual shortages of anything major, just supply delays.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I noticed the cheese shelves were full, along with the lunchmeat and lots of hot dogs and no one is buying the sardines.. I did buy one of the Jenni-O frozen turkey meat dinners with gravy. That is 2 to three meals.

My plan is if we are ordered to lock down and shelter in place, just before I get home I'm loading up on fresh vegetables like heads of broccoli, cauliflower, celery, head lettuce (as that lasts longer than chopped bag salad), carrots, and 3 to 4 dozen eggs. Most of everything fresh will last at least 3 weeks. By the time that runs out, if I have to hit the canned preps, I won't need to live on those long.
Yes, I am leaving fresh produce till the end as they will perish much quickly so no point stocking up on them now.

I bought some long-life prepackaged cheese & kraft cheese which last much longer...might be worth getting canned mozzarella..my uncle in air force used to buy those.
canned pineapple + canned cheese on a toothpick is a good snack..maybe add some canned ham to it.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I was at the market a couple of hours ago in CT. A large market. Parking lot packed. Lines at every cashier. Carts stuffed full of stuff. (Isn't what OTHER PEOPLE choose to eat just disgusting? How do they make THOSE choices. My cart, of course, has the good stuff.)

Anyway, nothing was really all the way out though. True, there's no hand sanitizer or certain types of disinfectant wipes. But as to general foodstuffs, it seems they were well stocked. Cold cuts were gettable, and so on. Plenty of eggs, juice, etc.

Still.. I'd never seen it like that. I did feel a little pathetic with my tiny little cart though. I only went to pick up a couple minor things we wanted. So I'm in the express lane with a handful of items and in the next lane were folks that had carts stacked so high they looked like they were playing a game to see how high they could stack their stuff.

This was not wholly irrational behavior though. While anyone could argue folks should have been better prepped earlier, the reality some local school systems are shutting down in school classes and more are signaling they might soon. So people are getting ready to have kids home for several weeks. No one was freaking out. But maybe not terribly far from the edge of that. If things were running low, maybe would have been a different scene.

·
Registered
31 Posts
One of the things that I just re-stocked is tapioca. Might sound odd, but tapioca pudding has been one of my comfort foods when I'm sick since I was a small child. I will never forget my parents making me homemade tapioca pudding when I was sick as a kid. It's mildly flavored, easy on the stomach, and is great when you're sick unless you're avoiding dairy due to phlegm production.

Shelf stable UHT milk from Dollar Tree is my other 'restock if able right before an emergency' items. When everyone else is going cuckoo for TP, I'm casually swinging by the local Dollar Tree and picking up the 2 cases of UHT shelf stable whole milk I ordered online.

I have dry milk in my preps, but prefer the UHT for ease of use and taste. It's in that category of 'nice to have' things that I go restock when I see the writing on the wall that something's going to happen in the near-term.

Ric

·
Registered
228 Posts
Garlic, Ginger, Horseradish, Onions, Hot Peppers, Cayenne powder, Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes. All those things are very effective for the immune system, illness, respiratory issues, imho.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I noticed that the powdered cocoa seemed untouched at our stores.

Cocoa goes perfect with longer term preps like sugar and flour. If you have chickens/fresh eggs, you can whip up a nice chocolate cake. I will have to use powdered milk /Nido milk... but still, hard to beat a fresh chocolate cake during a quarantine or survival situation.

Also at Walmart all of the spam except Turkey Spam was gone. What's the matter with Turkey Spam? I like it anyways, but I guess no-one else does.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
I've noticed nobody is buying instant mash potatoes and powdered milk, whats weird is at our store nobody is buying SPAM (Shelf space is always full) either.

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
You can prolly git tha diabeetus just looking at my preps. I'm so ashamed.

Not.

I can probably trade a hershey bar for a Glock.:)

It's in the freezer in mylar, for inaccessability.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I just got back from the local neighborhood WM and stuff like Clorox Bleach and Lysol spray were gone. So was rubbing alcohol. But I have plenty of that already.

As far as food goes the shelves were packed up pretty good. Lots of canned vegetables, canned meat like spam and Dak hams, bread shelf full and no one buying huge carts full of food or supplies.

I will still pick up a few more supplies but I'm not buying myself in to the poor house to over stock. A buddy and his mom bought $4,000 worth of food for the Y2K panic. He said it took them a couple of years to eat it all before it went bad.

·
Indefatigable
20,145 Posts
We are stocked up, but I don't want to start pulling out preps until I need to. I have a BD cake to bake and so I went to the closest $ store this morning. All the usual - gone. I bought a little extra, just because. I bought an extra 20lbs sugar and flour, 5lbs of cornmeal, 3 bags of coconut, 3 XL bags of choc chips, 4 cake mixes, 4 containers of frosting, 4 boxes of jello pudding, 4 boxes of graham crackers, 4 cans of pie filling, 2 large containers of PB and 4 jars of jelly.
The world may go to hell, but we are going to eat cake (pies, cookies) LOL

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
I can go months at a time without chocolate so its not something I prep.

Spam on the other hand.....nectar of the gods. Its a struggle to keep stocked and not just eat it all.

Reactions: Cornly2

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
I noticed that the powdered cocoa seemed untouched at our stores.

Cocoa goes perfect with longer term preps like sugar and flour. If you have chickens/fresh eggs, you can whip up a nice chocolate cake. .
Mayo works fine in place of eggs when baking.

I stocked a lot of mayo so I don't need to get into my (more expensive) LTS canned eggs.

Eggs in the freezer are reserved for eating.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts