Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,683 Posts
Lowes and wallymart also have panels ; I mostly buy from Amazon (easier returns) or Fleabay often cheapest (especially for used panels) but needs the most caution used to avoid ripoffs/fraud..
I just ordered a 50 AH Ampere Time LiFePo4 battery, ~$200 (with coupon) and a, hopefully, window sized 25 Watt panel from amazon.
I rapidly got tired of paying Renogy's extra high prices (they are often OK when on sale) If considering Renogy check out HQST as they often seem identical at lower prices.
BTW; I just got a "thank you" email from Renogy for ordering a HQST solar controler (looks and specs the same as the one with Renogy stenciled on it).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Wow, for a meer $800 dollar investment you can power 4 CFL or 5 LED bulbs for 36 hours.
Yep.
Or you can do the same with a $200 investment, just have to learn something about solar.
Everything but the battery will last 20 or 30 years.
How much gas will your generator use in 20 years?
There's a place for solar, just as there's a place for generators and, if you choose your location carefully, a place for water or wind power for long-term survival.

·
Banned
869 Posts
You can get 100w panels on ebay and amazon for around 90 shipped any time. They were down to 60ish a few days ago for a sale.
As survivalists you want to stick with an off grid solar power system, and the most expensive parts of such a system is the battery bank power storage. 400 watt monocrystalline solar panels
by REC, Canadian Solar, Mission Solar....made in the USA and Canada can be bought for 50 cents/watt. I recommend 5 panels, 2000 watts for $1,000. Then you need 200 AmpHour deep cycle flooded lead acid batteries...10 of them for your battery bank...$1500. Then you need a Charge Controller....I favor the Schneider Electric 80-160 models $500. Then you need a 2000 watt inverter for each 120 VAC circuit you wish to run.....$50 each on sale at Harbor Freight.

So, for about $3500 you can have a solid 2000 watt/2000 Amp Hour off grid solar power supply.
My farm home system is 3 times bigger capacity but has paid itself off in 3 years because I bought a pallet load (33) of 400 watt solar panels, two Schneider charge controllers, and
200 amp hour deep cycle storage batteries we use on the oil drilling rigs....and I built the solar
panel racks and did all the wiring myself. But, I live on a paid for farm out in the middle of
nowhere in west Texas. You may not need such a large off grid system.

WestTxDesertRat

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Finch, I bought mine from HD. I keep an eye on their daily deals, around once a month they have solar panels up on sale. First order the panels came, but missing the cheap charge controller and inverter. Funny thing, I left a negative review, and it never showed up. Guessing it's a home depot company, and they moderate the reviews.

Otherwise I have no complaints, the panels produce power. I've replaced the inverter (bigger/better), but the cheap charge controller working fine a year later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts