Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a couple of cheap solar LED lights meant to be staked out on the lawn to mark paths, etc. it looks like the units can be removed from the stakes. Could be cleaner and safer than candles and other sorts of fire based lights in case of emergency, and the lights come in different sizes so different light intensities. I thought maybe i could keep a couple on the window sills of the house during the day and place them in strategic locations after dark in SHTF. How long do the little buggers last, anybody know? the ones I found were $2 each. If they last longer than a few days they would be way cheaper than candles and the not needing fuel except solar could be very beneficial. brainstorm away... I'm curious to find out what everybody comes up with.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I bought 10 from Walmart. I brought 6 back they didnt work. 3 of the other 4 failed within the first 30 days. I have ONE left in my yard.

I bought a better grade, box of 6 dual LED lights. They have replaceable rechargeable batteries. All 6 still work/ $16 for a set of 6. They even come with light defusing covers (makes the light not so bright).

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
solar lights

Sword, I'm ignorant I guess, how do I find Kev's videos?? (still learning my way around here) thanks :D:

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
i have some of the small ones from waldo world............most of them work great, some will be duds. if they sit out in the sun all day, they will still be lit in the morning, using them in the house they throw off a surprising amount of light. like you wouldnt be able to sleep with one in your room.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Harbour freight sale some for shed lighting and the good thing is it has a pretty long set of wires so stick the panal on the roof and run the wire inside, JMO

·
100% Full Battle Rattle
550 Posts
My girls mom owns a farm completely off the grid. She uses solar for her electricity and uses the solar garden lights as her light source in some areas. They dont put off a hell of alot of light, but they are more than useful in the dark walking up the path or going to the bathroom int he middle of the night.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,674 Posts
I have 4 that I picked up from Harbor Freight almost 20 years ago. They were a little pricier but they have a large solar panel and gel cell batteries. I had to change the batteries a few years ago, but they hold a good amount of current. The lamps are flourescent. I figure they'd be good small power sources. I wonder if they still make them?

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Sword, I'm ignorant I guess, how do I find Kev's videos?? (still learning my way around here) thanks :D:
If I might answer in Sword's place: I think Kev's original video is in the VIP section. But there's this...

Look through the comments on YouTube, some of the posters had useful things to say.

As to the original question: I bought some solar yard lights a while back, although they were a bit more expensive. Several years later, one has failed, the other three are going strong. They give out about a candle's worth of light (you can see by it, but that's about it) for three to four hours after dusk. That's assuming a long, sunny day; short, dark, winter days, they hardly charge at all. Of course you can keep some charged batteries in reserve, and switch those into the lights if you need them to glow after the original batteries' charge is depleted. Or charge bastteries during the day, then take them out and keep them or use them in other appliances at night...

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
If I might answer in Sword's place: I think Kev's original video is in the VIP section. But there's this...

YouTube- Solar powered lights instead of candles
Thank you for posting the video, I was just about to post it myself.

Solar powered lights can be used for a lot of stuff, security, use them instead of candles, recharge AA batteries,,,,,.

Some of the solar lights use a non-standard AA battery. If you want them for charging AA batteries, be sure to check them out before you buy a bunch of the same type.

One thing I thought about doing, is to buy a 12 volt solar cell, an inverter, and then run those low voltage lights off of a battery system.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
Used one for kids night light, so yes you can sleep with it on.
Not a reading light.
Takes forever to charge up with inside lights.
No sunlight, SOL.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Teri and I pick them up when they're on sale for less than a couple of bucks each. Some are good, some not so good. We like to use them around the camp site at night. Strategically placed they work great to: Help find tent entrances, cook stoves, coolers, food tubs, etc. It's surprising how much one can do without firing up the lanterns using the solar garden lights....

If push come to shove, I can see someone using them to use as substitute lighting in tough times.

Reactions: tmootu

·
workin on it
1,392 Posts
Three years and lasting in South Louisiana

I bought about 5 of these three years ago, adding them in my raised beds to sex up the view at night a little.

They have held up well and are cheap. Great idea to use instead of candles. Can be moved easily with the stake, just to try to stomp them in hard clay.
I think I'm going to pick some up this weekend when prepping for the spring garden.

·
King of Nido
2,013 Posts
Has anyone clustered a series of these into a lamp that could be read by, or used as a primary tent light during travel to a BOL?

·
Trouble following rules
2,201 Posts
I've played around with these a bit, using them instead of candles. I let them charge outside during the day, then put the top part of the light on a mason jar in a few rooms in the evening. I lined the inside of the jars with cut-up aluminum cans, about 2/3 around, as a reflector to increase the amount of light. It will work pretty well as a nightlight in the bathroom or wherever you want. I'm going to go camping for a few days soon. I think I'll bring one or 2 small ones with me.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was at Sam's club and they have solar powered LED flood lights. you can set it to be motion activated and it even has an on/off switch. The one I saw had a 15' chord. So attached the floodlight in you house where you want, and run the 15' chord out the window and attach the solar panel outside. Then it'll stay charged, you dont have to worry about forgeting to put it in the window and you can either turn it on and off as needed or leave it montion activated for when you walk into a room.

·
great survivalist *****
1,258 Posts
:thumb:
I have 4 that I picked up from Harbor Freight almost 20 years ago. They were a little pricier but they have a large solar panel and gel cell batteries. I had to change the batteries a few years ago, but they hold a good amount of current. The lamps are flourescent. I figure they'd be good small power sources. I wonder if they still make them?
i can't get somthing from harbor freight to last more than one use. you got 20 years out of their product! your setting records

1 - 20 of 21 Posts