Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Preparation job #1
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Over the past 5 years I have found the the solar path lights to be an invaluable source, first I bought the Malibu lights at home depot, after 6 months they wouldn't stay lit for more than a couple of hours. In talking to Malibu they said the batteries, needed to be changed about every 6 months, this is contrary to what I have read about rechargeable batteries so I started shopping around. Of all places to find great solar lights I found them at Family Dollar, at the time you got 6 for $18.00, now you get 5 for $20.00 after using them for 4 years they stay lit all night and have never changed the batteries. One of the cool features of them is there is an on-off switch when there on they automatically come on in the off position your in control and they will still charge the batteries......More Later

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do you have shade in your yard or full sun? I had a set ( make that 2--one from HD and one from Sam's) neither would work due to having two shade trees.

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,584 Posts
at this point u should just make us a map to your retreat....cause we all know u have one....so why not share lol
IF any have read many of my posts and looked at the pics such as the first one where I tell where it is located then you would not ask.

I was simply telling highdeserthawk about my retreat etc. and the link he Might be interested in looking at, since he just joined Yesterday. I lately have only been posting the link to newbies. Some places where I think it is relevant also.

I was thinking about making just One more thread showing a few more New pics of my mtn retreat since quite a few seem interested. But maybe I will not for I sure don't want to upset any who think I am bragging or telling tooo much about my mtn retreat. I really am not bragging, just sharing, which few do. Even to tell if they have retreats etc. It is not like my mtn retreat is fancy or something to brag or showoff. I do think it is a great place to survive and Live. It has an abundance of trees, water, wildlife etc.

I also am interested in others retreats, bols etc. but most will not share. Which I can understand why many will not for security etc. If very many even have a retreat or BOL. I know what I have and how secure it is. This is one of a very few groups that have ever been really interested in what I have told about my retreat. I simply wanted to tell much for no one in Real life is too interested and I don't tell anyone who could drive up easily either.

I know I have probably gotten carried away telling about it although I Could say Much more. Most will never know how awful much work and sacrifice has been put into this retreat. If I seem sensitive it is because this is More than simply a retreat or BOL - this is my Life!!

I know there are old timers who have seen me post even in other groups over the past few years but there are many many new people who have never seen my pics or even never think that someone can build a retreat for so little money. $10 to $12,000 including the price of the land. After mid June possilby no one will ever hear from me since this year I plan to move to my retreat Permanently. Just sharing while I am able to...

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
Mike, don't have to lose all your com options when you're off the grid. I'm presently using a hot spot across the valley about 4 miles away, through an active repeater we put on a friend's house about a mile away, line of sight. Never know what you'll find out there in space, if you experiment a little...

http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,584 Posts
Mike, don't have to lose all your com options when you're off the grid.

http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/
Thanks for the link SnakeRanch. I will look over that site but I am not buying much anymore. Just a few more supplies. I have to use the large amount that I have been stocking for the past few years.

And when I go off the grid I am going off society also which means No tv, no computer, No internet etc...

People 50, 100 and even many more years ago did without these things and so shall I. I have went without electricity even for a month straight. I will have electricity as long as my solar panels and small generator keep working. I should get a couple more solar path lights as highdeserthawk told about for harborfreight has them on sale for $4.99 each.

When on my mtn place it is a completely different world - the opposite of cities and I don't like to contaminate it or myself with internet etc. Up there I am not even interested in all that. I do listen some to the radio but that is my main connection to society up there.

I also make little money up there unless a neighbor or two hires me for odd jobs or getting them more firewood. So I do not spend money for internet or satellite. One neighbor a 1/2 mile downhill does have a satellite dish. I don't think anyone gets internet up there - it is very remote.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts