Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever made one? What have you been able to power off it? I live in Hurricane country and need something in case i run out of gas on the generator. I see them on TV advertising them all the time. I know i need solar panel and some Batteries but i have no idea what size for the batteries nor do i know the size for the Panel.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need something which will run my Frege,freezer,lights,and if some one can give me an advice on which 6 or 12 v batteries are better for stoking energy and how many i need

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Two 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries in series (=12 volt), will give you more run time than one 12 volt RV/Marine battery.
Also, you can do much better dollar for dollar, than the 45 watt Habour Freight panels.

here is a good example of a good value panel, good warranty, great supplier:
http://www.solar-electric.com/kykd140wasom.html

They also carry good value charge controllers.

check for their links to battery information. I'm sure you will find it quite helpfull.
They also host a web forum which I participate in:
http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/forum.php

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was going to start building a solar panel system for my aquaponics green house, but first i have to build the greenhouse, which will be started and completed in about a month. I was going to use this guys instructions on building my own
http://www.mdpub.com/solar/index.html
he also has plans to build a wind turbine, figured that might be a good idea to put on the boat to keep the batteries charged up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We power our aquaponics with solar too, FYI, we are using a livewell pump so that there is no need for an inverter. Wasn't sure if you thought of that, so I figured I'd throw my two cents in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks solar1,how many 6v batteries i need fore my home(fridge,frizzer,lights+extra in case)and were i can by them and maybe some one can advice a frizzer and a fridge which will consume less power and voltage i was thinking maybe a mobile home appliances.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
it depends on the watthours consumed by day and your avaliable pv watts per (panel size, quanity, etc.), it's all relative to each other. 6 volt T-105 golf cart batteries...Sam's Club, Costco, golf cart dealer, industrial batteries dealers to name a few

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it depends on the watthours consumed by day and your avaliable pv watts per (panel size, quanity, etc.), it's all relative to each other. 6 volt T-105 golf cart batteries...Sam's Club, Costco, golf cart dealer, industrial batteries dealers to name a few
Thanks for your input...
Frank

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
6 Volt golf cart batteries at Sam's Club with a old battery is $88. If you don't have an old battery the core charge is $9.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If looking to run pumps or light it would be good into looking into 12 volt pumps and lights (led are best). Invest in these and you will not need as much battery storage or solar panel. This will allow you also to get a smaller inverter. Issue is hen you convert from dc power to AC power you always loose some.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If looking to run pumps or light it would be good into looking into 12 volt pumps and lights (led are best). Invest in these and you will not need as much battery storage or solar panel. This will allow you also to get a smaller inverter. Issue is hen you convert from dc power to AC power you always loose some.
True, that's why I've been looking at everything in 12V versions. Anything that has electronics is low voltage DC, so you'd be changing 12V DC to 120V AC then back to low voltage DC again with an inverter. Less efficiency and reliability.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also think that there should be a technology for solar cells which can charge our mobiles from solar energy. Most of the time I read about it in articles and business websites about solar panel progress in technology but they have discovered only solar batteries. I just want that every person on earth should use solar panel; it’s so cool and wiser.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Powersource 1800 Solar Generator

The Power Source 1800 is the world’s first solar powered generator that is portable, powerful and can charge many important home appliances. The Powersource 1800 Solar Generator comes with a compact solar generator that fits anywhere in your home or truck and includes 4 plug outlets so you can charge more than one device at the same time for your convenience.

Solar Generator

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
$1797. for a 90 watt solar cell and a charge controler and a battery and inverter and a nice case. You have to be kidding. There is a sucker born every minute. Pops

The Power Source 1800 is the world’s first solar powered generator that is portable, powerful and can charge many important home appliances. The Powersource 1800 Solar Generator comes with a compact solar generator that fits anywhere in your home or truck and includes 4 plug outlets so you can charge more than one device at the same time for your convenience.

Solar Generator

·
Registered
177 Posts
Only way to get any large amounts of power (say enough to run refridge) is to spend large amounts of $$$. 4x8 feet of panels (32 sq ft) cost a fair amount and provide very little power. Cover you roof with $100,000 worth of solar cells and now you are talking getting off the grid.

But $100 worth of power a month for $100,000 invested is not a good deal.

It all boils down to how much having electrical power while off the grid is worth to you and how much cash your have.

Hear stories about off the grid for $500 worth of solar. It can be done, but they live like Abe Lincoln using very little electrical power.

People have no idea how great a deal $0.10 per KWH is until they try to make it themselves.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts