Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in solar and hydroelectric powering my home. I would like to make a closed loop hydroelectric generating Station. Using a storage tank and recirculating the water used by the generator. I want to use solar power for the pump and charge batteries so the system can run 24hrs a day. I don't have access to a creek or river to run the hydroelectric generator. Has anyone tried this before, is it feasible on a small scale? I need about 10 or 12kw a day. Any advice would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I don't know what happened, you had several answers to your question an hour or so ago.

To recap my post - power companies do this all the time.
Your "storage tank" will need to be large lakes, and you'll need 2, one at least 10 to 30' higher than the other. Higher is better.

Even if you only want 1,500 watts, you'll need 356 gallons of water per minute to spin the generator. For 12kw, you'd need around 4,000,000 gallons per day. That's why you need lakes, not tanks. And all that water has to be stored and pumped back uphill during the six hours or so that you have good sunshine. So you'd need a solar powered pump that can move about 680,000 gallons per hour. You won't find this at your local hardware store.

So, you need non-flat land, lots of it, money, lots of it, and some luck with the EPA and local agencies, just to get permission to build those lakes... at least here, I got a firm "no way" when I wanted a little fishing pond.

My previous reply had links to all this info, sorry that it all went away.

·
reluctant sinner
21,860 Posts
Still my same answer. Not sure but I think the post got moved to nmi

·
Registered
641 Posts
As post #2 said, forget hydro, unless you have access to a decently sized stream (and even then it takes quite a bit to produce enough power to run a house).

Solar + batteries is what you want. But you're going to need lots of both of those as well.

What's your budget? Let's start with that. Second, where are you located? Do you even get a decent amount of solar energy? What about wind?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts