Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experiences/opinions about the newer style SOG tomahawk- newer being the one with the nylon/fiberglass handle.
I've seen older reviews for the original that came with the wood handle and it didn't look good.
I'd like to get one for my camping gear + it's just mean looking and I'm sure no one wants to F around with a man holding a tomahawk!:thumb:
I've looked at the Cold Steel hawks but they don't resolve the head retention issues that the SOG does. If I could afford a $300+ "tactical" hawk I wouldn't even be posting - I've seen them, envy the people that have them but I can'
t afford one- and please I'm asking about Tomahawks not ax's or hatchets. thank you.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
SOG Fusion Tomahawk

ive had mine for almost a year now. gave it to my teen son to destroy and abuse at will. thing sailed through it, no problem. did my own torture test, still, no prob. now it resides on my SHTF gear pack. buy it, you'll love it.

:thumb::thumb: two thumbs up --- Eric

·
Take the red pill!!!!
1,301 Posts
Wasn't Haji Indian? Anyone got experience with it on splitting wood, probably the minor stuff. I couldnt justify having it for just a defensive tool. How does it with breaking barriers like doors for example?

·
day late & a dollar short
196 Posts
I had one and had high hopes for it. It failed. The first time I took it out (which was a few months after I bought it) I was chopping through a three inch green maple log with it the handle broke inside the metal sleeve. Tried to get up with SOGs warrenty dept. via e-mail and my e-mails were never returned. A year and a half later it sits on by brother in laws workbench buried under car parts and such and I use my Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri for all the tasks I had hoped to use my SOG tomahawk for. Lots of other people seem satisfied with both the product and SOGS customer services maybe I got a dud in the hawk and maybe both times (on unrelated issues, two years apart) I've tried to contact SOG for warrenty issues I've had bad luck.
Thats my experience, like I said, most folks seems to be otherwise.
Peace
John

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wasn't Haji Indian? Anyone got experience with it on splitting wood, probably the minor stuff. I couldnt justify having it for just a defensive tool. How does it with breaking barriers like doors for example?
i guess thats sthe lingo they use over there....i thought the same thing myself. but i used his words there. lol nice catch though

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
I own one have never split any skulls with it but it would do fine for that. Not my favorite sheath design but it works. chops wood great and its in my BOG.

Thumbs way up its a winner

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I had one and had high hopes for it. It failed. The first time I took it out (which was a few months after I bought it) I was chopping through a three inch green maple log with it the handle broke inside the metal sleeve. Tried to get up with SOGs warrenty dept. via e-mail and my e-mails were never returned. A year and a half later it sits on by brother in laws workbench buried under car parts and such and I use my Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri for all the tasks I had hoped to use my SOG tomahawk for. Lots of other people seem satisfied with both the product and SOGS customer services maybe I got a dud in the hawk and maybe both times (on unrelated issues, two years apart) I've tried to contact SOG for warrenty issues I've had bad luck.
Thats my experience, like I said, most folks seems to be otherwise.
Peace
John
Then I'd suggest you contact them again as I've had many responses from them within hours of sending my request.

Copied directly from their website

Web site
http://www.sogknives.com/

General Information
[email protected]
For general communication relative to product information or if you don't find an email address below to suit your needs, use this one (in which case your email will be correctly routed to the correct department).

Warranty Information
[email protected]
You may find many of your question answered by first viewing our
Warranty Information page.

Just so you know, your ""hawk" is covered for breakage to the handle and they will replace it, entirely, immediately and at no cost...My neighbour destroyed his--handle burnt and he send a photo to SOG asking what he should do and a few days later a courier truck comes to his place and he gets handed a package from SOG with a brand new hawk and sheath just like they said in their response...He re-handled the old one with a really long wooden handle--sort of like a Norse axe...The extra length (leverage) makes chopping and splitting easier.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
mousepad -- I'd be very suspect of your friend's statement and just consider it hyperbole!

Hajj would be added to the name of any Muslim, from anywhere, who made pilgrimage to Mecca and circled the stone and also visited a number of other holy sites…It is a sign that they are devout...Instead of calling them Mr/Mrs Al Baba it would be Hajj Al Baba or it would be added after their name like you do with B.A., M.A. as a symbol of completion.

Haji, sand n***er, ************, ********, Kida arseholes (for al Qaeda) have and are being used by the troops over there as well as other expletives,

·
Registered
136 Posts
Whoops!

mousepad -- I'd be very suspect of your friend's statement and just consider it hyperbole!

Hajj would be added to the name of any Muslim, from anywhere, who made pilgrimage to Mecca and circled the stone and also visited a number of other holy sites…It is a sign that they are devout...Instead of calling them Mr/Mrs Al Baba it would be Hajj Al Baba or it would be added after their name like you do with B.A., M.A. as a symbol of completion.

Haji, sand n***er, ************, ********, Kida arseholes (for al Qaeda) have and are being used by the troops over there as well as other expletives,
eh....guess you're right. although he does have it set up so that its on his right shoulder upside down and all he has to do is tug on it and ot pops out. i dont know if this rig is standard or if he modified the sheath or what. i can try to find out if you guys are interested.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Not the rig, the running away to the hills comment.

The nylon sheath that comes with it has pop rivets as closure but a few companies make kydex sheaths for it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hadji was Indian if your talking about Johnny Quests friend. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Had mine for a couple of years now. Like it quite a bit. It's pretty light and the head is kinda narrow, so it's not the best splitter or chopper.

Here it is next to my CS Riflemans hawk, (a real beast of a hawk BTW!).
The SOG hawk is a pretty good thrower and seems fairly durable. I do notice the head loosening up from the handle just a smidge, not a huge deal though, still works just fine.
I got mine from Midway USA for about $25 on sale...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts