Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the Seal Pup? I've had my eye on it for a while. I'm just looking for a general survival knife, I think it fits the bill?

·
Wild Wild... East
3,014 Posts
I don't try one, but it looks OK. Looks to be solid and trustefull.
Even i don't like the knives with teeth on the sharpen blade.

Bogdan

·
Registered
647 Posts
The Seal Pup looks to be a nice knife. Like Bogdan said I'm not a big fan of the serrated blades, although they do have their place and uses. Go for it if that's what you like. don't forget to snap some pics and give us a review!

Tbull:cool:

·
Saper Aude
652 Posts
I have this one.

http://sogknives.com/store/S37.html

I was able to scratch the finish off of it spitting some wood but the blade itself wasn't effected. i like it, it's large though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dang i want that S37 Seal Knife :) but cant probably find those from Finland, Seal Knife has been my wet dream for while, its just full of potential! :p
Also i have been thinking about Finnish Commando Knife but you get them only from army if i remember right, and my army starts maybe 2009 so i would have to wait for while:mad:

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
I had one, it was a decent knife...but

For one the false edge on the rear doesn't lend itself to pounding on it with a stick, I often do that to split wood. Its quality was OK, but you could very well find the same quality in a knife with a much cheaper cost but you wont get the fancy name.

I would look at the higher end cold steel knives as they are one hell of a durable knife at a decent price. Ontario knives are very good generally using high carbon steel such as 1095.

The knife I am most impressed with so far but lack the funds to buy it myself is the British survival knife.

Reactions: AncientBrit

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've used a lot of different knives in my time and and found that one knife will not serve every purpose and different people like different things so when looking at a knife to buy make sure it feels comfortable in your hand and feels balanced. Buy a good quality one that is suited to what you will use it for.
A good survival knife to me is small and sharp but I can't split wood with it so I carry a camp hatchet that is razor sharp and a USMC ka-bar that I use as a work tool. I've found these things work for me but others may find them ackward to use.

·
Banned
171 Posts
I carry this knife - and it is excellent. My area is often wet for long periods of time so of course a knife used by the SEALS would be a good bet in these conditions. It is a good size and relatively light. The serrations do come in handy for cutting manmade items though of course they are more difficult to sharpen.

I also carry a tomahawk, so splitting wood and other heavy duty work is no problem.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I had one, it was a decent knife...but

For one the false edge on the rear doesn't lend itself to pounding on it with a stick, I often do that to split wood. Its quality was OK, but you could very well find the same quality in a knife with a much cheaper cost but you wont get the fancy name.

I would look at the higher end cold steel knives as they are one hell of a durable knife at a decent price. Ontario knives are very good generally using high carbon steel such as 1095.

The knife I am most impressed with so far but lack the funds to buy it myself is the British survival knife.
I had a British survival knife. I gave it to my brother.
It's very heavy! The handle is uncomfortable and in prolonged use it would give you nasty blisters.I had the wood work technician in a school I worked in file the handle down. In my opinion it would benefit from a full re-handle job.
But it's a very rugged knife and can be made quite sharp.
YB.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Dang i want that S37 Seal Knife :) but cant probably find those from Finland, Seal Knife has been my wet dream for while, its just full of potential! :p
Also i have been thinking about Finnish Commando Knife but you get them only from army if i remember right, and my army starts maybe 2009 so i would have to wait for while:mad:
Ville try BRISA.COM for the Finnish commando knife.

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
I had a British survival knife. I gave it to my brother.
It's very heavy! The handle is uncomfortable and in prolonged use it would give you nasty blisters.I had the wood work technician in a school I worked in file the handle down. In my opinion it would benefit from a full re-handle job.
But it's a very rugged knife and can be made quite sharp.
YB.
As I said I lack the funds at this time to buy it, or its not at the top of my priority list. The first thing I do with full tang knives is wrap the handle in para cord, it supplies decent grip and you have cord when you need it. No matter what I learn the absolute most difficult thing I tried to do in the field is make suitable cord, I made about a foot out of vine but it took several hours to braid it in a way that would give it the strength to actually hold anything and I had no way to attach more rope to it but a knot and that would take up at least 6 inches of the vine. When ever possible I will insure I have plenty of cord.

Thanks you for your review of the knife it looks like a heck of a tool

1 - 13 of 13 Posts