Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
You looking at me!
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive just purchased the SOG Seal Elite knife with the kydex sheath...VERY nice knife but im seeing people like the nylon sheaths as you can store a few small survival items.
So whats the real benefit of using a Kydex sheath? Im pretty new to the survival knife market and curious as hell.....cheers.
Happy 4th july to all you yanks!

·
Proud American
533 Posts
so ive just purchased the SOG Seal Elite knife with the kydex sheath...VERY nice knife but im seeing people like the nylon sheaths as you can store a few small survival items.
So whats the real benefit of using a Kydex sheath? Im pretty new to the survival knife market and curious as hell.....cheers.
Happy 4th july to all you yanks!
the kydex sheath that sog uses doesnt retain water it drains out. also the knife will stay in so no falling out. so you can hang the knife upside down onto a tact vest.

other than that i dont know.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
The SOG sheaths are junk. Have someone make you one a kydex for up side down carry if you are serious about holding on to your knife. Should only run $30 or so. Tape it to your harness. I have been carrying my Tanto's like that for 20 years now and up to 200 days a year in the field.

Don't trust a fixed blade in kydex on your belt under harsh conditions. Tweak them around while hiking, climbing, sleeping or other activity and they crack and then break and then you have lost your knife. Try this sheath for your belt but not upside down on your harness:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Airborne-Deluxe-Knife-Sheath,821,1376.htm

·
169 Posts
Well the benefit of the sog sheath is that you can store many items like you said. There is also molle attachments on the back. The knife is sure not to fall out because there is a velcro snap to hold it in and then a flap that comes over the sheath. It is a wonderful sheath. If you are looking at buying one, i would be willing to trade you mine for your kydex, just shoot me a pm if your interested

heres a review that briefly touches on the sheath:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts