Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll Got a question. I've found SOG knives on 40% off. Worth it? I'm looking at the NW Ranger or the Tsunami, fixed blade, sheath knives. I have a flash 2 and its ok, prefer my CS ti-lite or voyager... Any advise would be good! Thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
:thumb: I have a sog seal pup, seal team leader II with the sawback and an old school N.W Ranger which is partially serrated in a satin finish. If I was you, I would get a N.W Ranger w/40% discount. In the near future I am going to get a N.W ranger in black tini.:thumb:

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
I bought one havnt really done much with it to say it's uber or the best of the best. They are made in china though

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I like the look of the Ranger better than the tanto Tsunami. More functional. How well to they hold an edge? Is it a decent sheath???

·
Registered
224 Posts
I got a seal pup, Trident tanto (EDC) w/ auto assist open, also a commemorative SF bowie ( which is a saf queen. Never been sharpened. Just sits on display.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The best knives...no, but for the money you cant beat many of SoGs blades. I believe those are discountinued, which is probably why they 40% off. If you like em and they a good price then I guess go for it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Was checking out some other SoGs, they coming out with a bunch of new stuff very soon. But I wanna check out some of their arc lock knives. Most have a vg10 blade and thay smooth locking design like benchmades axis lock. Looking at the Sog visionary, looks like a hot blade and I like the blade shape and extra belly. The flash ii is a freat edc blade, but it has no belly whatsoever.

·
Barbaric and dishonorable
747 Posts
I would have to say that anyone who says they are junk probably can afford
to spend their money on more expensive knives. SOG knive are not considered to be the best, but are regarded to be solid knives for the price. One can buy a Mora and someone else can buy a RAT. Is the RAT better yes but is the Mora junk? No. Is SOG the best at retail? Prolly not. But at a good discount they are good knives. At least IMO

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
I have a SOG Jungle Primitive and it has done everything i have wanted...A decent edge keeper...I'm happy with it...There are some counterfeits out there....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the earlier SOG NW Ranger made in Seiki Japan and love it. They changed the knives recently and where the are manufactured, but the quality seems to be good. If you ask a lot of people some will love them some will not so pick the knife that you like with a good warranty. Their Tsunami series is comparable to the NW Ranger but with a tanto blade.

·
El Cazador
389 Posts
I have a SOG Jungle Primitive and it has done everything i have wanted...A decent edge keeper...I'm happy with it...There are some counterfeits out there....
You must not do a whole lot with it. Lot trying to be mean but I bought one of those too and it shortly made its way into the trash can. Horrible steel, looses its edge just by looking at it and the teeth on the back are absolutely useless. IMO, the worst knife SOG has ever made.:(

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
I suggest staying away from their fusion line of junk i.e. the tomahawk, jungle primitive etc. which are all made of 420 crap steel and are gimmicky mall ninja toys rather than actual tools.

I have a SOG Tech Bowie which has the look and feel of a high quality knife ,but the mirror polished titanium nitride finish is so beautiful, it will probably just be a pristine safe queen for me.

I also have an Aegis assisted opener in digi camo which I like a lot.

I don't have any experience with either knife in the OP .

·
Formerly Known as GOFO
2,872 Posts
I just got a Seal Pup Elite - I am tickled pink with it though I was disappointed to see it was made in Taiwan... I thought they were US produced. I am not sure if it would have swayed my decision to want one though as the steel is good to go (AUS8 I believe).

We'll see how I feel about it after it spends some time with me at camp this summer.

·
Stop YOLOing
3,324 Posts
I'm happy with my seal pup elite. I've dug up roots and batonned stumps with it and it still cuts what I need it to. Only thing I don't really like is it's stainless steel, and it was hard to find one w/o the serrated edge so I settled for the serrated version.

As above, it's not the best knife out there...but I'm not spending $800 on a knife, either. For the size, weight and price, it's a solid product.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts