Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at adding another knife to my survival/camping gear. One that can serve both camp and if necessary, weapon functions. Over the years I have acquired a pile of knives, some of them decent a lot of them junk.

I was checking out the SOG Specialty Knives & Tools S37-K Seal Team Knife with Kydex Sheath. It is a nice looking blade and according to the manufacturer it was ruthlessly tested by the U.S. Military for all kinds of things as tip and blade breakage, and a bunch of other stuff and came out on top, but let's face it they also have plenty of reasons to "embellish" the truth a bit.

If you own this knife what are your opinions of it and its performance?

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
I dont have one of them, but SOG in general is getting worse.Most of there knives I have handled or looked at were made in china and IMO if your going to buy a china knife dont pay for name.

My brother just bought a Scrapyard kinfe for 100 bucks and im so amazed I want one, the thing is ruthless twice as thick as anything I have seen, made in the usa , and very sharp!
http://www.scrapyardknives.com/knives.htm

Reactions: radiobirdman

·
Leave Me Alone !
907 Posts
I have numerous SOG Knives in my collection of stuff. One of my favorite everyday carry knives in my briefcase or concealed is the Pentagon fixed blade. Also the Northwest Ranger is a top notch survival knife.

·
- Celer Silens Mortalis-
31 Posts
SOG is nice if you want a cheap knife that you can throw away when damaged. They are made to chinese specs so the steel they say is not what it actually is. My SOG lost its edge on the first camping trip I took it on. Personally if you want a knife made for the military then check out Zero Tolerance, made by americans in america and the steel is the first of its kind made specifically for knifes. everything else uses a steel originally made for a different application like 440 or surgical steel. Any who the SOG is a toy that looks cool. I would spend the extra $100 and get something backed by a lifetime guarantee and always try to buy AMERICAN.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have a SOG 5thSpecial Forces Bowie, SOG Tech Bowie and SOG Trident folder. I am extremely happy with them. They are wicked sharp. I was recently talked out of my SOG Seal Pup , a good light duty field knife.

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Opinions seem mixed. I love the way this particular knife looks, but I am disappointed that the actual functionality seems to be lacking based on what some of you are saying.

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
Opinions seem mixed. I love the way this particular knife looks, but I am disappointed that the actual functionality seems to be lacking based on what some of you are saying.
I don't think anyone is saying its total junk,just saying its not worth the cost. A bushman knife is cheaper and every bit as useful if not more so.

There are better options in the same price range, heck a KaBar can be had at the same price and is great steel and a proven blade.

I used a glock knife recently and was very impressed, the blade shape was not for me but it was quality and very comfortable.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
ive got a seal pup that i modded the sheath and edc this blade in my front pocket. I forget it is their most of the time it is so comfey.

·
- Celer Silens Mortalis-
31 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying its total junk,just saying its not worth the cost. A bushman knife is cheaper and every bit as useful if not more so.

There are better options in the same price range, heck a KaBar can be had at the same price and is great steel and a proven blade.

I used a glock knife recently and was very impressed, the blade shape was not for me but it was quality and very comfortable.
I believe KaBar to be much stronger steel than the SOG brand knives.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Mic,

I just purchased a SOG Gov Tac as my CQB/field knife for my reserve training. I am very impressed with this knife and it is a great all-rounder. This knife has a solid feel to it and has a good sized handle even for those with larger hands, full tang with a flat pommel (with lanyard hole) for hammering, glass breaking or striking. This is my first AUS8 steel blade and it was considerably easier to bring to a razor edge on a stone than my 440c blades, and has held it well while doing some light duty carving. I handled the seal elite and the seal pup at our local surplus store and ruled them out for CQB due to the lack of a cross guard/quillion and the potential to ride up the blade if your thrust hits bone etc. not sure how the seal models would go as general duty field knives, but I would highly recommend handling the seal and the gov tac and you will feel the difference. Nutnfancy has done some great reviews on a lot of knives, including the gov tac and the seal pup elite

Blade Steel = AUS8
Blade = 6.1"L x .2"thick
OAL = 11.4"
Wt = 9.6oz
handle is kraton and sheath is Kydex (the sheath is excellent quality and fit so no rattle when u run which is good)

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/c/83B876B578DFBC78/0/Ek1sE5sd7Gg

Attachments

·
Deplorable bitter clinger
964 Posts
My son has a Seal Pup I bought for him about five years ago. I thought it was made in the USA. After reading this thread, I asked if I could see his. Sure enough, the blade says "Seki-Japan" in VERY FINE print (My eyes needed a magnifying glass to read it, but it was there).

Anyway, he loves the knife and it has never let him down. I am sure that if anything happened to his, he would not waste a second in buying another.

·
Registered
906 Posts
From an earlier post: Re: SOG Kinvies - Opinions
I have a SOG 5thSpecial Forces Bowie, SOG Tech Bowie and SOG Trident folder. I am extremely happy with them. They are wicked sharp. I was recently talked out of my SOG Seal Pup , a good light duty field knife.

I also have the SOG Seal 2000. This is a strong knife and was heavily tested by the military and passed extremely well.
Regardless of brand name, I am suspicious of Chinese made knives. I can't help it.

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just purchased a SOG Gov Tac as my CQB/field knife for my reserve training.
You are right, that is a nice looking blade. I am going to add this to my list of knives to check out.

the blade says "Seki-Japan" in VERY FINE print
Well, they did make the katana so maybe some of that fine blade making made its way into this blade.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts