Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
watching t.v. I saw preppers loading rice into 2 liter soda bottles. They stated FEMA gives it's blessing to this type of storage.

Will packing a 2 lt bottle with rice and an O2 absorber maintain the rice??:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
All ive heard here is that people are storing thier rice in Mylar bags with O2 absorbers sealed airtight and then sealed again in food grade buckets....I wouldn't trust anything FEMA says!!

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Before mylar bags and O2 absorbers, rice and dry goods were stored in plain plastic pails with locking lids and still kept for years. Anything airtight and safe for storing edibles (food grade) should work fine.

Good idea actually. Toss in an o2 absorber for good measure and you're set!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
watching t.v. I saw preppers loading rice into 2 liter soda bottles. They stated FEMA gives it's blessing to this type of storage.

Will packing a 2 lt bottle with rice and an O2 absorber maintain the rice??:confused::confused::confused:
It'll work, but not as a long term storage solution. The plastic the bottles are made from will allow O2 infiltration over time. More so than mylar will. That's why mylar is more popular. But a lot of folks use the soda bottles. I use the 3 liter ones myself because of the larger mouth. But only for short-medium term storage of things that I rotate regularly. It's mylar for everything else.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Read this thread and you'll see that people have posted about leaving rice in its original packaging for years without issue.
I'm in a dry climate and I often have rice, beans, pasta and stuff sitting around for years. It degrades in time though, but it lasts long enough to rotate.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
Been doing that since 1998. As long as you clean them thoroughly, and dry them, they are good for quite a few items, and inexpensive...you've already paid for them ! I store rice, salt, sugar, pepper corns, spices/seasonings,Ibuprofen, aspirin,dried beans,ect,. One 2 litre bottle holds about 4 pounds of rice. Not only are they effective , they can be stored just about anywhere, and are great for barter. TP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts