Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted a hand cranked coffee grinder since I was a little girl and used to play with the old broken one out at the farm.

I have no idea why...hehe

However, as a grown up I have really fallen in love with coffee and consider it one of life's little pleasures.

I found a hand grinder on Lehman's which looks fantastic. I will order it when it comes back into stock.

I have been wracking my brains how to have my coffee and drink it too, so to speak.

Somewhere in the back of my head I remembered reading that unroasted coffee beans (ie Green Beans) store for years.

I spent some time on google today and voila I found it.

Green Coffee beans can be stored in a cloth bag in a nice dark, not too humid or dry environment for up to 10 years! When coffee is stored like that the acidity goes down and it becomes a premium item.

You can roast coffee in a popcorn maker, an oven, the stovetop etc.

Well, I'm going to try it. And all you coffee lovers if you want to have a little cup of heaven when you are heading for the hills - check this place out.

Cheers,
Heather

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Thats great, I have to have coffee or I don't do anything. I keep 30 lbs on hand just in case. Anyway my GP used to make what he called Hobo coffee when we were out hunting/fishing. He would put the beans in a rag and break them up with a knife butt and throw then in a tin pan an boil for about 20mins then take a smallsrceen and strain it into the cups (No Milk, No Suger) Real mans coffee is what he'd say. I swear it was so strong I was awake all night. My other GP would make us coffee with Chickeree another 200 mph coffee. The worst was a Crew Chief I worked with if the coffee didn't ooz out when it was poured he would say that the coffees for wussies, We'd put about 3/4 milk in it and dump it when he wasn't around. Sorry for the jog down memory rd. I do love coffee it's my only vice.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Heather, could you please share some of the website addresses about storing coffee. As I'm working through potential problems and learning new skills, I find coffee to be one of my biggest headaches. I've learned people in the Civil War used sweet potatoes, acorn and all sorts of substitutes to have coffee. I did order 25lbs. of green coffee beans, percolator, a hand held coffee grinder and even an old timey popcorn pot and thermometer to roast the beans in. However, I have not been able to get up the courage to roast the beans as I keep hearing if you don't do it just right, you won't like the results. Also, the coffee beans came in a sealed plastic bag. What kind of cloth should I transfer them to? I thought storing the beans in the freezer would be good to keep them fresh but now I am wondering! Wonder what ..... not to humid, not to dry .... would mean? Wonder if putting the beans, once transferred to a cloth sack, in a plastic pail with oxygen absorbers would help keep them fresh for a long time? Or, maybe they need air to age correctly. I would like to learn more about coffee for now and for long term storage and would appreciate any advice you have. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can try this place out. http://www.sweetmarias.com/ I have nothing to do with the place, just a site where my wife bough a sack of beans. We roasted them in a cast iron skillet, ground them in a small grinder and had some on Christmas morning. It was pretty good. Experiment with a few different levels of roast. Make notes on each batch you roast and make, a minute or two longer roast can really change the flavor of the coffee. It's pretty fun to roast then grind then brew your java! I haven't had a batch I didn't like yet, but then I like anything that can remotely be called coffee!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
This is a post for all you caffeine addicts. I posted this on a yahoo group originally but thought some of you might find it useful...

Finally I got the answer for coffee addicts...
>
> Green coffee beans can be stored for up to 10 years in a dark cool
> place. As a matter of fact most coffee sold in stores sits in a
> warehouse for a couple of years before it hits your shelves.
>
> When placed in a super pail with the mylar bag and oxygen absorber
> packs you should get 15 years+. One pound of coffee roasted and
ground
> yields 50 average strength cups. So two people drinking a 10 cup
pot a
> day will get 5 days per pound of coffee. A 50 lb bag of beans
should
> last 250 days so to lay in a 15+ year supply you would need about
> bags. If the SHTF and we're cut off from the java that figure
doesn't
> seem too hard to come up with. If normalcy isn't restored by that
time,
> or the good lord hasn't tapped me on the shoulder and said "let's
go"
> then I guess I'll start choking down self picked herbal tea

Best source I've found for green coffee beans: http://www.greencoffees.com/?gclid=CISw4a7g4JcCFQxKGgodvFH0DA

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
For some reason I can never get over my friends' coffee addictions. No offense to anyone but I'm glad I never got hooked. To be honest, I can see myself taking advantage of the masses in a situation like this. Being hooked on caffeine, they say, is no different than being hooked on crack. I don't know if I completely buy into that but I wouldn't mind making some sweet trades with someone who hasn't had their coffee fix in a few days. Everyone on here talks about bartering with ammo but addictions are where it's really at. Maybe I should invest in coffee and chocolate. It's no wonder there's a Starbucks on every corner. They're like little legal crack houses!!

·
Here's Johnny!
306 Posts

Best coffee I've had by far! Makes anything at Starbucks taste like swamp water. Last time I bought tho' was paying almost $50/lb.

:D: Goooood stuff!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love love love love love good coffee.

Do you guys know how to use a french press? We have had many (all glass) that have broken, but my fiance just bought an all metal one. It rocks.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I love love love love love good coffee.

Do you guys know how to use a french press? We have had many (all glass) that have broken, but my fiance just bought an all metal one. It rocks.
I have an inexpensive plastic one. I'm trying to decide if I like it enough to get a better one.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been leaving it for 10 minutes. I use a pulse grinder if I'm using beans. Often I just use the pre ground.
Disclaimer: I used to own an espresso bar forgive me if this comes across snobby (but it is coffee!! we have a right to demand quality!! hehe)

Bring your water just to a boil, then remove from heat and let stop bubbling.

Pour into your french press on top of *grounds that are specifically for french press and let steep for 4 - 8 mins (depending on the strength you want).

Stir once or twice to settle the grinds - also may have to add more water if your beans are super fresh.

*you can ask your coffee shop (if you buy whole beans from them) to pregrind it to french press size

We use a burr grinder that crushes the beans rather than cuts them like the blade grinder does. Supposedly it tastes better. I think it does, but I could be brainwashed. :)

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Disclaimer: I used to own an espresso bar forgive me if this comes across snobby (but it is coffee!! we have a right to demand quality!! hehe)

Bring your water just to a boil, then remove from heat and let stop bubbling.

Pour into your french press on top of *grounds that are specifically for french press and let steep for 4 - 8 mins (depending on the strength you want).

Stir once or twice to settle the grinds - also may have to add more water if your beans are super fresh.

*you can ask your coffee shop (if you buy whole beans from them) to pregrind it to french press size

We use a burr grinder that crushes the beans rather than cuts them like the blade grinder does. Supposedly it tastes better. I think it does, but I could be brainwashed. :)
Does it just need to be a much finer grind?

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Thanks guys. Its past 12:30am here and this thread has me brewing a pot of coffee now. :xeye::D:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts