Survivalist Forum banner

So who pays

3K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  blunky 
#1 ·
Here in Tn. We have a few cases of the virus they are being quarantined for 14 days, I'm wondering who is going to make sure these people have food water meds an other things they need? Most folks are one paycheck from disaster with not being able to work are we going to have a rash of new homeless on the street, just a thought that crossed my mind today after watching the news

#2 ·
Social services more like. In my case I take mental illness meds so they really want me getting them, and they are cheap so not an issue. Food banks can cover food.

If you don't want to get diagnosed don't go to the doctor. :)

#5 ·
Hopefully not taxpayers. Most of those contracting Covid-19 are coming back from vacation...I don't have much sympathy if they're not able to quarantine themselves for two weeks. There's a certain level of personal responsibility, and this should be a good lesson. There are plenty of charitable organizations, but it shouldn't be the government/tax-payers. I know if I get it, I wouldn't get paid from work (gov't contractor), yet I would be responsible to quarantine myself so even though I'm displaced from my home and renting a bedroom, I could lock myself down for two weeks with not problems. I just don't think this is "someone else's" problem.

ROCK6

#7 ·
The insurance companies are pooping bricks right now...

When we talk hospitalizations in the millions.... they talk bankruptcy....

#11 ·
People should be able to last a couple of weeks on their own.
A lot of people have no food in their homes. They live on take out, fast food, and what they pick up at the deli.

Most have some friends or family who can help.
And those who don't?

Besides, if the government is going to order you to stay home for a period of time, why ISN'T it the government's responsibility to feed you and provide necessities?

#16 ·
A lot of people have no food in their homes. They live on take out, fast food, and what they pick up at the deli.

And those who don't?

Besides, if the government is going to order you to stay home for a period of time, why ISN'T it the government's responsibility to feed you and provide necessities?
Ultimately we are all responsible for ourselves.

Most of those in the US got the virus while traveling overseas, so it's not like they have no resources.

Deficit spending means it's not taxes being spent, it's credit.

And besides, if the government takes your assets, is it not required to compensate, even if in the name of the public good? Your land, or your liberty?
How are they "taking your assets"?
If you're contagious, it's not their fault.

Before you said they had no assets and that's why the Govt has to support them.

I don't believe you've thought this through.

#18 ·
Ultimately we are all responsible for ourselves.

Most of those in the US got the virus while traveling overseas, so it's not like they have no resources..
Outdated thinking. The virus is loose in the general population. Nursing home residents, elementary school kids, they're getting it. Are you saying they're responsible for their own illnesses? If YOU contract it next, is it your fault?

How are they "taking your assets"?
If you're contagious, it's not their fault.

Before you said they had no assets and that's why the Govt has to support them.

I don't believe you've thought this through.
I've thought it through to its logical conclusion. If you say the government can order people to quarantine without providing food and medical care - perhaps a death sentence - in the name of the public good (and saving money), where do you draw the line? Could they take you from your home and put you in an internment / FEMA death camp to make sure you don't break quarantine? Take your home to compensate the state for your care? Or burn down your home (with you in it) to prevent you from spreading disease? Or, if by studying credit card records, they determine you've made a lot of purchases of LTS food, come to your door and say "Hand it over, for the good of all!"? Once you give government power to deal with problems in a crisis, never ever be surprised if they suddenly decide YOU'RE a problem and they deal with you.

Live and learn, or remain ignorant and die.

#17 ·
We had some things in Houston, NGO's were assisting flood victims with various issues, kind of a "holistic" approach to all issues at once, also they gave a $1000 food stamp card to every family who applied - no income requirements... people were lined up for several hours to get it.

That was successful, I didn't hear anyone bitching about gov't response. The nonprofits got some TASTY funding out of that and got to have all sorts of happy success stories to get more funding yet.

Reactions: Moccasin
#19 ·
Who pays? Well that depends.

If .Gov takes you off a cruise ship and puts you in quarantine at some military base than .Gov is probably paying. Kinda like when .Gov puts you in jail, they pay for pretty much everything. Of course .Gov paying means you and me.

If you go to your Doc and he says you need to stay at home and quarantine yourself then you're paying.

#21 ·
Every County has a Dept of Public Health and an Emergency Mgmt Agency.

The Fed Gov't should be "subrogating" against the chicoms. Cancelling the US bonds they hold then seizing offshore islands the (fraudulently) claim. The Chicoms chose to inflict this "plague" on the world and they need to PAY. ALL expenses incurred. Even it this was something other than the release of a biowar experiment the HID it for weeks and allowed it to grow into a pandemic.

#23 ·
The underlying question here is who's responsible for the disease existing?
On the one hand we might say "The Chinese" generically, since it appears
to have originated in China. And even in China it seems to narrow down
to a specific wet market in a specific city.

I would call that an accident~! Could happen anywhere. We Americans also
hunt, process, and eat wild animals, so we could also encounter some
virulent disease.

I would only blame the Chinese if it was deliberately created.
That's a possibility, given modern science, but I'm not buying it. If they did
create this as a weapon, it backfired big time.

#29 ·
Black Death.... China
Spanish flu.... China
1956 pandemic flu.... China
H1N1..... China

This is a short list. I can add to it if you'd like. These aren't "accidents". It's cause and effect from their ideology, culture, and lifestyle. I can expand upon that if you care to argue the point. Have you ever been to China? Have you ever been to a Chinese meat market? They're like a horror movie.

Why So Many Epidemics Originate in Asia and Africa
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...o-many-epidemics-originate-in-asia-and-africa

Is China Ground Zero for a Future Pandemic? (2017)
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/china-ground-zero-future-pandemic-180965213/

#25 ·
The government deprives a person of their liberty (prison) that person becomes a ward of the state and is required to clothe feed and house the prisoner adequately. If the government places a person under quarantine that person is being deprived of their liberties. It follows that the government is responsible for the quarantined’s feeding and housing.

People that go to prison lose their homes all the time

#27 ·
Im mixed on this one. I would rather foot my own bill for short term. But I don't mind my tax dollars being used to keep a family feed for my own safety. That said, I can feed my family of 5 for $6 -20 a day. PlaneJane or gourmet. I don't want my dollar abused with in home nutrition studies, isolation behavior studies and all the other government BS that would probably have to take place before food funding bill could be passed.
I think I'd rather be prepared and self sufficient as much as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Im mixed on this one. I would rather foot my own bill for short term. But I don't mind my tax dollars being used to keep a family feed for my own safety. That said, I can feed my family of 5 for $6 -20 a day. PlaneJane or gourmet. I don't want my dollar abused with in home nutrition studies, isolation behavior studies and all the other government BS that would probably have to take place before food funding bill could be passed.
I think I'd rather be prepared and self sufficient as much as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does make one mixed. As one who budgets, plans and tries to be prepared to not rely on the government, those that are unprepared will be supported by my tax dollars. To some degree, I'm okay with that, considering the recent cruise ship and the government triage, transportation, housing and quarantine operation. If that grew in scope, just remember that the government doesn't "have" money, they tax/take resources and money from the public. The more they need, the more they're going to take.

If they're going to mandate and order home quarantine, I would be okay with zero interest loans for those that work hourly rates or jobs that can't be done remotely.

My taxes should go to support the services (both public and private) that keep lights on, communications running, sanitation systems operating, food/fuel deliveries, medical/emergency services, law enforcement, etc. I've been in that position when I'm in a position that is essential and I had to prepare for my solo survival at work as well as my family at home. If anything I hope this little virus scare wakes just a few people up and they change their personal plans for future events like this...even a fraction would make a difference.

ROCK6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.