Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Tn. We have a few cases of the virus they are being quarantined for 14 days, I'm wondering who is going to make sure these people have food water meds an other things they need? Most folks are one paycheck from disaster with not being able to work are we going to have a rash of new homeless on the street, just a thought that crossed my mind today after watching the news

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,947 Posts
Social services more like. In my case I take mental illness meds so they really want me getting them, and they are cheap so not an issue. Food banks can cover food.

If you don't want to get diagnosed don't go to the doctor. :)

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Here in Tn. We have a few cases of the virus they are being quarantined for 14 days, I'm wondering who is going to make sure these people have food water meds an other things they need? Most folks are one paycheck from disaster with not being able to work are we going to have a rash of new homeless on the street, just a thought that crossed my mind today after watching the news
Yeah. Good question. Hopefully whoever is requiring them to be in quarantine is doing the paying.

·
Fixer
1,263 Posts
think they touched on that in the potus/cdc press conference but not a lot of details they have thought about it but who knows if it actualy gets implemented or if any one sees any help..

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Hopefully not taxpayers. Most of those contracting Covid-19 are coming back from vacation...I don't have much sympathy if they're not able to quarantine themselves for two weeks. There's a certain level of personal responsibility, and this should be a good lesson. There are plenty of charitable organizations, but it shouldn't be the government/tax-payers. I know if I get it, I wouldn't get paid from work (gov't contractor), yet I would be responsible to quarantine myself so even though I'm displaced from my home and renting a bedroom, I could lock myself down for two weeks with not problems. I just don't think this is "someone else's" problem.

ROCK6

·
Banned
10,320 Posts
KrAW!

Hopefully not taxpayers. Most of those contracting Covid-19 are coming back from vacation...I don't have much sympathy if they're not able to quarantine themselves for two weeks. There's a certain level of personal responsibility, and this should be a good lesson. There are plenty of charitable organizations, but it shouldn't be the government/tax-payers. I know if I get it, I wouldn't get paid from work (gov't contractor), yet I would be responsible to quarantine myself so even though I'm displaced from my home and renting a bedroom, I could lock myself down for two weeks with not problems. I just don't think this is "someone else's" problem.

ROCK6
Most likely the tax payers will foot the bill. :(

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
The insurance companies are pooping bricks right now...

When we talk hospitalizations in the millions.... they talk bankruptcy....

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
People should be able to last a couple of weeks on their own.
Most have some friends or family who can help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
14 days is one full check for me as well as many others a half month with no hours,no check to pay bills I could survive for awile but I know people who cannot

·
독수리 발톱
861 Posts
Yeah I mean, God forbid that the US government spend money on US citizens. I'm right there with you bud, every man for himself.

ROCK6

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
People should be able to last a couple of weeks on their own.
A lot of people have no food in their homes. They live on take out, fast food, and what they pick up at the deli.

Most have some friends or family who can help.
And those who don't?

Besides, if the government is going to order you to stay home for a period of time, why ISN'T it the government's responsibility to feed you and provide necessities?

·
Super Moderator
3,174 Posts
Besides, if the government is going to order you to stay home for a period of time, why ISN'T it the government's responsibility to feed you and provide necessities?
The government does not have any money of its own nor does it generate any money. Every dime spent is taken from those that work and pay taxes. Ironically these same individuals are usually the last to receive any of the money that is spent by the government.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
The government does not have any money of its own nor does it generate any money. Every dime spent is taken from those that work and pay taxes. Ironically these same individuals are usually the last to receive any of the money that is spent by the government.
Deficit spending means it's not taxes being spent, it's credit.

And besides, if the government takes your assets, is it not required to compensate, even if in the name of the public good? Your land, or your liberty?

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Yeah I mean, God forbid that the US government spend money on US citizens. I'm right there with you bud, every man for himself.
Well, you're a fool if you think the government is going to be efficient or effective at spending your tax dollars for your own personal health and welfare. That's why we're in the mess we are in. People are disillusioned into thinking their taxes are meant for their safety, protection, and their personal emergencies...that's simply not the case. "Our" taxes have become a political weapon and tool to buy votes from those wanting to take more than give.

I don't disagree with you that our government should spend our taxes on its citizens, but that simply isn't the case, nor is it their priority. The federal government is simply too inept at finding solutions despite all the federal tax revenues...however they have hundreds of thousands of pet projects for pork spending, and neither you or I will benefit from that. And when a crises comes along, the working individual and family are simply on their own; the safety nets are for those incapable or too lazy to do for themselves what we understand is simply the personal responsibility of being prepared.

I don't and won't rely on the federal government, especially in situations like this. If you do, you're on your own and will be quite disappointed...

ROCK6

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Be careful what you think government should be responsible for. How are some of the less savory governments handling this? If they can't support a forced quarantine, they simply eliminate the virus vectors...yes, they simply shoot or exterminate their citizens; easier and less resources. That's why you don't want government responsible for your "safety and welfare".

ROCK6

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
A lot of people have no food in their homes. They live on take out, fast food, and what they pick up at the deli.

And those who don't?

Ultimately we are all responsible for ourselves.

Most of those in the US got the virus while traveling overseas, so it's not like they have no resources.

Deficit spending means it's not taxes being spent, it's credit.

And besides, if the government takes your assets, is it not required to compensate, even if in the name of the public good? Your land, or your liberty?
How are they "taking your assets"?
If you're contagious, it's not their fault.

Before you said they had no assets and that's why the Govt has to support them.

I don't believe you've thought this through.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,947 Posts
We had some things in Houston, NGO's were assisting flood victims with various issues, kind of a "holistic" approach to all issues at once, also they gave a $1000 food stamp card to every family who applied - no income requirements... people were lined up for several hours to get it.

That was successful, I didn't hear anyone bitching about gov't response. The nonprofits got some TASTY funding out of that and got to have all sorts of happy success stories to get more funding yet.

Reactions: Moccasin

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Ultimately we are all responsible for ourselves.

Most of those in the US got the virus while traveling overseas, so it's not like they have no resources..
Outdated thinking. The virus is loose in the general population. Nursing home residents, elementary school kids, they're getting it. Are you saying they're responsible for their own illnesses? If YOU contract it next, is it your fault?

How are they "taking your assets"?
If you're contagious, it's not their fault.

Before you said they had no assets and that's why the Govt has to support them.

I don't believe you've thought this through.
I've thought it through to its logical conclusion. If you say the government can order people to quarantine without providing food and medical care - perhaps a death sentence - in the name of the public good (and saving money), where do you draw the line? Could they take you from your home and put you in an internment / FEMA death camp to make sure you don't break quarantine? Take your home to compensate the state for your care? Or burn down your home (with you in it) to prevent you from spreading disease? Or, if by studying credit card records, they determine you've made a lot of purchases of LTS food, come to your door and say "Hand it over, for the good of all!"? Once you give government power to deal with problems in a crisis, never ever be surprised if they suddenly decide YOU'RE a problem and they deal with you.

Live and learn, or remain ignorant and die.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Who pays? Well that depends.

If .Gov takes you off a cruise ship and puts you in quarantine at some military base than .Gov is probably paying. Kinda like when .Gov puts you in jail, they pay for pretty much everything. Of course .Gov paying means you and me.

If you go to your Doc and he says you need to stay at home and quarantine yourself then you're paying.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts