Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When all is said and done...when the flu season is over...what changes do you think you will see in society? I, for one, think this "catastrophe" (which it is NOT) will usher in more UN intrusions into our health care infrastructures. it is likely to help require legally mandated vaccinations. I think this will help pull/push in the use of subcutaneous chips (chips planted underneath the skin) to help keep track of people in the event of another "catastrophe". What do you think?

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
When all is said and done...when the flu season is over...what changes do you think you will see in society? I, for one, think this "catastrophe" (which it is NOT) will usher in more UN intrusions into our health care infrastructures. it is likely to help require legally mandated vaccinations. I think this will help pull/push in the use of subcutaneous chips (chips planted underneath the skin) to help keep track of people in the event of another "catastrophe". What do you think?
My perspective, and it's just opinion based on limited information:

1. There's a lot of springing upon this for going cashless. Cashless means more easily tracked. If you combine it with the notion of tacking on fees (taxes) for any transaction, then you can see why some in government really want this. I first was aware of this when there was mention that the Euro Union wanted to have some tax inserted in all transactions, so the money would be siphoned off the Euros to 'help' Africa. At the same time, aps on the phone which allow payments between people have been developed and pimped as being convenient. We're going to see a push toward being cashless and once we start doing that, the government will be involved at different levels. In my State, Washington, to LEGALLY have a garage or estate sale, one is supposed to go get forms and pay taxes and show how much money was made.

2. The New Normal on prices. Many years ago, there was a rapid rise in prices and a rush on rice. Rice went up rapidly, at least specific types. The price went down, but it wasn't at the same, previous lows because the market found out what consumers were ready to pay. While the prices on items like hand sanitizer, N95 masks and even toilet paper have risen, with the first two sky rocketing, they will be unlikely to completely drop once this crisis is over, beyond what they were, even when there's a glut. People will also be buying them at higher levels.

3. Allegations of corruption, profiteering and waste. Now this is a strange one. In Washington State, they set up some temp shelters. Now instead of using some mobile homes, like FEMA single wides, or even 5th wheel trailers, they bought full RV's. So we have parked motorized winnebago type vehicles, yes, with a cab and engine stationary for housing people isolation. the cost of that must be absurdly higher than trailers. who the Hell came up with that decision? We see insane prices and Amazon's response for things like $107 for a 4 oz bottle of hand sanitizer as people panic buy. No matter what happens, things get better or worse, people who had to pay much more for things will be bitter. Hopefully, the ones who went way beyond in exploiting supply and demand will get theirs.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,619 Posts
What I would LIKE to see happen, and what will really happen are worlds apart.

Disease spreading, communism spreading, expensive schools should be
closed and all education accomplished online.

Buying goods should not require you to sign your name using the same unwashed stylus and pushing the same accept button that a thousand other people have just had their booger hooks on.

Elevators should be total voice control. No more buttons.

TSA agents and checkpoints should be scrapped.

Planes, trains, buses, and public restrooms and eateries should have overhead UV sterilizing lamps installed permanently that do a cleaning cycle when vacant between people occupying them. When we lived outdoors this was called the Sun. :)

Cruise ships should be converted to emergency relief vessels.
(tending to victims of disasters like hurricanes, quakes, meteor strikes, conflagrations, plagues, pestilence and democrats).
Also could be used as troop carriers.
People should find other ways to vacation. Like maybe doing something to help their fellow man instead of engaging in self indulgent excess.

Shaking hands as a greeting should be abolished forever and replaced by French Kissing. Much more sanitary. :)
or for the men, just a simple grunt from 10 ft away.
It worked for the cave men. :)

Oh yeah, and people should stop eating under-cooked bats and Pangolins. get them well done people!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/opinion/coronavirus-china-pangolins.html

"“We can’t be indifferent anymore!” President Xi Jinping of China fumed at top officials early last month, referring to the public health risks of eating wildlife. On Feb. 24, the 13th National People’s Congress issued a decision “Comprehensively Prohibiting the Illegal Trade of Wild Animals, Eliminating the Bad Habits of Wild Animal Consumption and Protecting the Health and Safety of the People.” This and an earlier ban on wildlife markets were direct responses to concerns that the new coronavirus..."

·
Registered
124 Posts
Overall, I expect that video-based meetings will become the new normal for all business. F2F meetings will be the rare exception instead of the rule.

Cruise ships may not recover. They still have a long way to go before any danger is evident, but I expect the GP will lose all interest.

Many Airlines will go belly up. M&A activity will be off the charts. Again, business travel will be rare, both domestic and intl.

Hotels and the hospitality industry will suffer greatly. Private Equity firms will swoop in, keep the good properties for future trading, and dump the rest for nothing. The physical property will boost their portfolios and will represent the only value, not hotel bookings.

Most real restaurants will fold. Drive through restaurants will offer anti-viral "cleansed service" and will prosper.

Move theaters will remain empty until the studios transform the mass seating to private, clean booths.

Concerts will be performed at tiny venues but streamed live WW, though kinda challenging to feel 120db sound through your desktop speakers.

Any parent who can home school, will. Period.

Online commerce will increase, as B&M stores feel the final nail going in the proverbial coffin. B&M retail will be a memory.

Amazon will get Congressional approval to roll out nationwide drone delivery.

Other than that, not much comes to mind.

-jack

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Spanish Flu was followed by the Roaring Twenties economic boom.

These hardships have a way of killing off the weak, and making the herd stronger/faster as a result.

Short term bad for economy

Long term good for economy

·
Banned
9,381 Posts

These hardships have a way of killing off the weak, and making the herd stronger/faster as a result.

The roaring 20s was a credit infused trainwreck that we experienced a repeat of in 2008.... and look to be teeing up for again....

Reactions: kitkatbar and Jojo

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,581 Posts
This is punching big holes in arguments favoring globalism and multiculturalism. This virus is the product of a backwards culture. When the going gets tough, PC wokie BS goes out the window.

I think a lot about my Grandparents. There's a reason we call them the "greatest generation". They clawed their way through very troubled times. Those were defining events in our history. Too many have forgotten. If this gets bad, it could be a wake up call.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,375 Posts

Good point :thumb:

I am sick and tired of paying for other's healthcare who don't bother to take
care of themselves. Today while many millennials are sleeping off a bad hangover, then smoking a pack, while they eat fast food I will be at the Gym for 3 hours, and eating healthy. My boss pays twice for my healthcare than
he does for the other driver who is fat and half my age.

·
Indefatigable
20,123 Posts
Good point :thumb:

I am sick and tired of paying for other's healthcare who don't bother to take
care of themselves. Today while many millennials are sleeping off a bad hangover, then smoking a pack, while they eat fast food I will be at the Gym for 3 hours, and eating healthy. My boss pays twice for my healthcare than
he does for the other driver who is fat and half my age.
Gym rats are the next to be hit. People don't wipe down equipment on a good day. The ONLY thing my family has changed so far, is to STOP going to the gym and the barber/spa.

Reactions: Freja

·
Let the Debate begin
6,375 Posts
Gym rats are the next to be hit. People don't wipe down equipment on a good day. The ONLY thing my family has changed so far, is to STOP going to the gym and the barber/spa.
You can run but you can't hide. Unless you live in a bubble, it will
get to you sooner or later. I would rather be exposed to colds and
increase my immunity than isolate myself and have it kill me when
I have to renew my driver's license.

Don't believe me? Why does this virus spare children? Its because they
are exposed to more types of viral infections that's why.

https://www.livescience.com/why-kids-missing-coronavirus-cases.html

"The case we're seeing with the [emerging] coronaviruses is not that the children are not having any symptoms at all, they're actually having viral pneumonia," Johnson told Live Science, referring to the presence of infected fluid in the lungs. "But because their immune systems are so robust, it doesn't lay them out the way it would as an adult."
Similarly, Johnson said, adults are 25 times more likely to die from chickenpox than children are. And though influenza can be devastating for infants, older children usually make it through with more ease than adults, Johnson said. Seasonal flu death rates in adults are 10 times that of death rates in children.

Best way to fight the virus is, get plenty of rest, exercise, eat right,
and don't stress over it.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I think the coronavirus will me the catalyst to wake up many Americans to not rely on Government to save us and for the United States to not outsource, especially medicine, to communist China.

By Summer, the Corona will go away and we will forget all about it. Nothing will really change.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I think the coronavirus will me the catalyst to wake up many Americans to not rely on Government to save us and for the United States to not outsource, especially medicine, to communist China.

By Summer, the Corona will go away and we will forget all about it. Nothing will really change.

This guy would beg to differ....

"This is the most frightening disease I've ever encountered in my career, and that includes Ebola, it includes MERS, it includes SARS. And it's frightening because of the combination of infectiousness and a lethality that appears to be manyfold higher than flu."

Dr Richard Hatchett - CEO of CEPI – Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations

·
Live Free or Die
3,863 Posts
Every gym I go to has antibacterial wipes available to wipe the machines and have for years. I know that I use them religiously.

·
Registered
641 Posts
This is an interesting question. The depth of change is going to depend on how bad the virus spreads and how long. More distancing, increased online shopping, increased health awareness, more prepping, companies will die others will thrive.

I expect to lose friends over this. I’ve warned several groups and those that have ignored me and lose family members will blame me. Preppers will be hated. I don’t describe myself as a prepper but I obviously prepare.

I hope meds are produced in other places besides one country. Terrible dependence for the world having one country produce most of the worlds medication. This will bankrupt countries. Some have been on the Brink for years. Individuals will go bankrupt others will find new wealth. Homes, jobs will be lost. Because of huge health bills there will be a demand for government sponsored health care for all.

I don’t see how this can be stopped. Iran and India are real problems and not sure how they can be helped. Or What can be done about Africa. The culture of some countries and their lack of health care seems overwhelming. Obviously some countries will have all new leadership.

I expect some wealthy individuals to die deliberately killed by family members. Unproven murder. Some of these people have been unnecessarily cruel and family will take them out. Trump should be paranoid of his own family. He’s been meaner to his own family than he has anyone else. Prison and nursing homes could deliberately be targeted by family.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts