Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure its different state to state but there has to be some commons things.

Like most states killing game without a license is poaching... Any others?

How does one have a wilderness experience when they would like to try surviving in spring(easier than winter or summer.) but cant hunt squirels do to licenses and not the proper season. Basically are there any ways legally to get around it?

- Thanks James.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Check your local statutes/laws on hunting, fishing, trapping and trespassing. Those are the areas where you'll end up in legal trouble. And make sure that you check out any exclusions in the laws. In some areas, it is illegal to hunt deer except in certain times of the year. In Illinois there has always been an exclusion where people who were hungry were allowed to harvest a deer in an emergency. Most people don't know that exclusion exists but it does (or did) until a few years ago. The trouble is that if you get caught killing a deer out of season, you'll be arrested, charged and have to stand trial to get the poaching charge dismissed but if you can prove you're hungry/starving and you HAD to kill the deer then you might be able to use that exclusion to your advantage.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Most states have a clause that IF you are actively cultivating the land you own, then you can small game hunt without a license year round.

you do need a small game license minimum. I think all states require a hunter saftey course before you can purchase a license. Most small game seasons are like october/november to febuary/march. Turkey is octov/novmeber with a male turkey only season in may. Deer is usually only november/december.

however, most states have certain animals which you can actively hunt year round. IN NY it's red squirrel, snapping turtles, and woodchuck. Virtually all states do not allow you to target practice in the forests. If a enviromental officer see you with a gun, you better have a license, you better have a appropriate shotgun/rifle/ammo for the animals in season, and you better tell him your hunting what's in season. He won't buy your squirrel hunting with a 30-06.

virtually all states have different rules for what state forest your in. some allow only big game hunting, some only allow seasoned small game hunting, some allow year round hunting for that particular type of game. Hunting in a park is not allowed almost anywhere. Areas near public camping, swimming holes etc... Most cases, you're not even allow to bring a firearm in the trunk.

For beginers, squirrel and rabbit hunting with either a shotgun with #6 shot, or a 22 with a scope is a good start. With these you can move around slowly and quietly and be successful. Squirrels like acorns chestnuts. Late fall to early spring they're more on the ground than in trees. Rabbits are nocturnal. Early morning late afternoon. They like brush cover or hiding in the edges of thick grass. Also, they like to hide under low pine trees. Look good in every tree, you might find a bobcat or racoon hiding from you.

Deer hunting and turkey hunting while you are moving is extremely difficult to be successful. All animals are very cautious and aware of their surroundings, even more so with these two critters. Turkey like areas without alot of brush, swap edges, corner of fields. Deer behaviour is tough to generalize, it really depends on where you are. They like their acorns though. Without specific knowledge, go near funneling places. They're lazy, they walk alongside stone fence walls, small ravines, etc... They are shy about watering holes because their catious. they have great noses, hunt with the wind in your face. You could sit at a spot all day and have a nice buck 70 yards away from you and not even know it. He'll be behind a patch of brush and wait all day to let you pass. Deer are also hunted by coyotes in the winter, wild dogs, and sometime black bear. bobcats usually hunt fawns. With deer, bring a good pair of binoculars that don't strain your eyes. Look between every branch for patches of fur. Better to get top end binoculars rather than top end rifles for deer. For turkey, purchase a simple hen call like a kiki box or slate. Call just a little bit, not too much once every 5-10 minutes. When a tom calls you back, you can give a quick cluck or two every minute or two after he responds.

Hunting has little to do with shooting. When you find the game within shooting range and you practice shooting at a target range, its over in 30 seconds to 3 minutes. Wait for a good shot, a poor shot on game means he'll die a slow painfull death. If you can't hunt legally, pretend you are. While you wait try to ID plants that are around you. Practice your fishing skills. Usaully small pan fish are open season in most states. Some state even allow fish traps and those automatic reels. fishing Yo-yo is a common one. One big thing! That "kids toy" "wanna be BB gun" 22lr rifle can go 1.5-2 miles in the air before landing. Try to shoot a squirrel with the tree trunck as a back stop, better yet only use 22's for ground shots. I carry a 22lr for ground shots, and a 20 gauge for tree shots. Remmington makes a spr94 rifle/shotgun combo, early savage 24's are good too. Usually the top barrel is a 22lr or 22mag rimfire round, and the lower is a 410 or 20 gauge smooth barrel shotgun. These were born to be squirrel and rabbit guns. The remmington SPR94 also comes in a 12 gauge / .223 combo. Good for self defense and small game (12 gauge) and the .223 can be used for deer and long range hunting. Although the 223 is light for deer.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
While I am just like many others in the fact that I have a desire to follow all state and federal laws if it comes down to life and death I think that the choice is clear.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Check neighboring states. Another trick with legal hunting practice. Have a stick like your walking stick. If you can pick up your stick and hold it at the animal for 10 seconds, then that critter would be in your supper pot. Spring time can be a good test of fishing skills. Also, silent but deadly small game practice. Look at a SAS book and try primitive traps. The flat stone trap works good. Try making a primitive fishing or turtle trap. Maybe consider storing a modern fish trap at your favoriate location.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You really just have to look into your states laws. It maybe illegal to trap certain fish. In many public lands in Texas you cant trap at all. Just check your state laws, or call a game warden.

·
Plinker
746 Posts
If it becomes truly necassary to attempt to live off the land, there will no longer be laws (at least, no law enforcement).
In WA state it boils down to only a couple of Rangers per Game Management Units (Districts) which are several square miles of land each. Much of it wooded, mountainess, and rugged.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Most state laws are set up that you can only do what the laws says you can do. If what you want to is not listed as legal it is illegal. This means most forms of trapping without a licence, most forms of fishing without a licence, gathering plants on public land, having fires in unauthorized places on public land. For example while you may have a fishing licence, it is only legal using what is listed as legal equipment. Your hands are not listed in just about any state so it is illegal to catch fish with your hands, even though it may be legal with a pole, line and bait.

For the most part, if you are practicing to learn primitive skills, you will be doing something illegal. It's just something you will have to wrap your mind around and decide for yourself whether you wish to remain legal or practice all the primitive skills. There is nowhere in the U.S. that I know of where you can do both at the same time.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Most state laws are set up that you can only do what the laws says you can do. If what you want to is not listed as legal it is illegal. This means most forms of trapping without a licence, most forms of fishing without a licence, gathering plants on public land, having fires in unauthorized places on public land. For example while you may have a fishing licence, it is only legal using what is listed as legal equipment. Your hands are not listed in just about any state so it is illegal to catch fish with your hands, even though it may be legal with a pole, line and bait.

For the most part, if you are practicing to learn primitive skills, you will be doing something illegal. It's just something you will have to wrap your mind around and decide for yourself whether you wish to remain legal or practice all the primitive skills. There is nowhere in the U.S. that I know of where you can do both at the same time.
Reply]
The very fact that this question needs to be asked, and that you had to post this response, is a stomach churning example of how F'ed up this country is....

Next question, how do all the primitive skills school get away with thier activities, if they are all illegal now?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Money. They haveit and thy pay taxes. Same reason a guy can sell a switchblad or butterfly knofe here in texa and your the one that gets arrested. They are selltht is illegal and dont get harrased. But because you bought it your the *******. Is this country going to have to burn before we pull our heads ut of our butts. Sad.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
you do need a small game license minimum. I think all states require a hunter saftey course before you can purchase a license.
Not true for Vermont, and some other states as well. Certainly a very good idea, though!

Most small game seasons are like october/november to febuary/march. Turkey is octov/novmeber with a male turkey only season in may. Deer is usually only november/december.
Also note that there are multiple seasons for different hunting methods. In my state, if you get the right permits and are lucky, you can bag three deer per season if you bow hunt as well as use rifle/black powder. Also, my state has a very long bear season: Sept. through end of Dec. Don't foget about bear--they are big and tasty! Imagine how many meals you could provide by bagging three deer, one bear and one moose. Plus turkey, pheasant, rabbit, and of course year round fishing.

If a enviromental officer see you with a gun, you better have a license, you better have a appropriate shotgun/rifle/ammo for the animals in season, and you better tell him your hunting what's in season.
Again good advice, but not true for many places. In Vermont I carry often on state land and in state forests and have never been challenged by game wardens to provide any explanation for why I was carrying. License is not needed for carrying anything, although if you ARE hunting you need a hunting permit and can't use certain firearms for certain hunting purposes.

.223 can be used for deer and long range hunting. Although the 223 is light for deer.
.223 is illegal for deer in my state; .240 is the minimum, I believe.

Just like others are saying, you have to do your research--laws are very different from state to state.

Tom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
so what are the laws regarding living off the land

If your good enough at surviving you won't get caught but if you do remember the donnor party and go cannibal that way you won't have to worry about squirrels

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
You are correct on state having different rules. I've been looking for a neighboring states that has longer seasons for most game than NY. PA and VT are pretty much tied. I am closer to VT though. The general rules are a bit particular to NY.

Also, another issue. Those Black rifles, the ar15's AK's SKS's have limitations as far as legal hunting. Some states, like NY do not alow you to have a semi-automatic that can hold more than 5 rounds. If considering purchasing one of these rifles, check your state laws. Also, on laws. Some counties and even towns have stricter rules regarding hunting. Sometimes, county or town permits are needed in addition to whatever the state tells you what to do. Generally this is permitted hunting in edges or suburban areas. A game warden or enviromental police officer will likely know what the town's or county rules are. Same applies to federal land. Most federally owned land is patrolled by state game wardens.

Another topic on local laws. Certain trail systems like the Appalacian trail have their own laws too. Hunting with-in close proximity (think 500ft) carries stiff fines. Sometimes very popular state forest areas like the tallest mountain in your state prohibit hunting in the area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here where I live there is an open season on wild hogs year round. No limit. There has been a standing request by the conservation department to shoot them on sight.

Not all states have this and it's a good idea to find out if the pig you are about to shoot is wild or belongs to a farmer down the road before you pull the trigger. Otherwise my state is pretty strict and requires a permit to even take plants from the wild. An agent told me that if it is not considered a game animal then you can't take it without facing a major fine.

A good number of traps will likely be more productive in the long run than hunting. Of course, if it comes right down to survival, I'll blast just about any critter I see to stay alive.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I think that a farmer has around 10 days to catch a hog that has escaped before it is considered feral hog then you can legally shoot the hog with the appropriate weapon for the season that is in at the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here in Wisconsin I have been practicing survival skills for over thirty years and have had no trouble with any laws. I occasionally stretch a law or two but try real hard not to break any. The national wildlife refuges here in this state are patrolled by FWS officers only, the state does not patrol any of them. National forests are also good because they are so large that a person can get far enough into the woods that not too many people, wardens or anyone else will be there. These are also some of the best places to collect wild plants. Here in this state the DNR allows wild plant picking on their wildlife areas. Every place you go is different. I have practiced in Wi, MN, MI, and AZ and have never had any trouble.:)

·
Munitions Man
21 Posts
Well i know for a fact that a hunter safety course isnt required in all states to get a license because alaska doesnt require one. Im sure there are a few others to.

·
Chauncey Gardener
29 Posts
I figure its different state to state but there has to be some commons things.

Like most states killing game without a license is poaching... Any others?

How does one have a wilderness experience when they would like to try surviving in spring(easier than winter or summer.) but cant hunt squirels do to licenses and not the proper season. Basically are there any ways legally to get around it?

- Thanks James.
If you don't eat, you DIE!!! To hell with the laws dictating you to do otherwise.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Here in Florida you can't take anything ofv public land or private land unless 1) you own the private land or 2) you asked permission of the private land owner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts