Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters?blend=8&ob=5#p/u/137/GVSpa17nIy8

It's a well thought out daypack/light BOB system I think except as a guy I would want a 9 mm for a pistol and a rifle that could drop a deer without being at point blank range.

I don't eat squirrel.

Can anyone point me to a deconstructable 30-06 rifle? I'm not much for tactical firearms.. don't want an AR-15 or something like that.

Just a nice deer rifle that doesn't weight a ton, and doesn't sacrifice durability and accuracy for the ability to take it down quick.

Thanks,

Log

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If **** goes bad guess what no one eats squirrel either, until everyone else has killed off most of the larger game. I like the idea of a shotgun so you have fall back into the small game market.

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Pantomime Villain
3,969 Posts
I found it jarring that she was wearing sandles out in the bush. I would not want to run the risk of treading on or near a snake, or getting bitten by ticks, spiders, or just ants. Is this common bush footwear in the USA? Back in Oz I always wore a stout pair of boots whenever I went hiking.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
if you can find a sub2000 in 40cal. i also meant to say get a 40cal pistol say a glock 26 to match and you only have to buy mags for one type and use the 1 type of ammo.
+1 on the sub2000

I have the kel-tec sub2000 in 9mm. Have taken down 3 out of 3 deer with it. They hadn't came out with the 40cal when I bought mine. One of the best $199 purchases I ever made (been a while back. I'm sure they cost more now). You could drive nails with it right out of the box. When its folded, it's shorter than my Cricket .22 youth sized rifle.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I found it jarring that she was wearing sandles out in the bush. I would not want to run the risk of treading on or near a snake, or getting bitten by ticks, spiders, or just ants. Is this common bush footwear in the USA? Back in Oz I always wore a stout pair of boots whenever I went hiking.
That's her and Dave's private land in the Ozarks, I would be willing to bet if she was really out somewhere remote she wouldn't be wearing sandles. With Dave always giving Cody hell on Dual Survival for going barefoot I would imagine he would have something to say about his wife hiking in sandles. ;)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The actual pistol caliber doesn't makes any difference, and you have to ask what advantages you want. A deer can and has been dropped by a .22 Basically anything in the proper setting will work for killing game if you are skilled enough. That means if you practice enough with your pistol you wont have any issues killing game other then your capabilities.

That said while I understand the like of a pistol cal rifle, the reality is you get nothing superior in the ballistics, and only a marginal increase in accuracy.

Likewise unless you live out in low cut grass plains or low rolling hills you won't need a 30-06, 308 per say, but yes most break down rifles come in larger hunting calibers more often then the 5.56. I would like to know more a bit about his mindset before giving to much opinion on this, but i still prefer break down shotguns.

·
Zomby Woof
14,266 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters?blend=8&ob=5#p/u/137/GVSpa17nIy8

It's a well thought out daypack/light BOB system I think except as a guy I would want a 9 mm for a pistol and a rifle that could drop a deer without being at point blank range.

I don't eat squirrel.

Can anyone point me to a deconstructable 30-06 rifle? I'm not much for tactical firearms.. don't want an AR-15 or something like that.

Just a nice deer rifle that doesn't weight a ton, and doesn't sacrifice durability and accuracy for the ability to take it down quick.

Thanks,

Log
I recently put a stainless TC Encore Pro Hunter on layaway at a local shop. 650.00 includes mount, rings and bore sight.

I got this one with camo furniture.
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firearmDetails.php?ID=5643

You can get a ton of different barrels from .17 to 500S&W and nearly everything in between, including some wildcats.

Rossi and H&R make combo long guns that might fill the bill as well.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I really like the M6 Scout. Don't forget that it is 410 as well as 22. If I could have found one at a good price I would have much rather had the scout over the AR7 that I do have.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,960 Posts
... It's a well thought out daypack/light BOB system I think except as a guy I would want a 9 mm for a pistol and a rifle that could drop a deer without being at point blank range.

I don't eat squirrel.
Carrying a daypack and a rifle you kill a 150pound deer.

How much of that deer do you plan to eat?

Do you carry stuff in your daypack to preserve all of that deer?

Do you plan to simply eat one meal from it's carcass and the next day hike away leaving 145 pounds of deer carcass to rot?

With nothing but a daypack you might be better suited to learning how to eat squirrel.

·
Zomby Woof
14,266 Posts
Carrying a daypack and a rifle you kill a 150pound deer.

How much of that deer do you plan to eat?

Do you carry stuff in your daypack to preserve all of that deer?

Do you plan to simply eat one meal from it's carcass and the next day hike away leaving 145 pounds of deer carcass to rot?

With nothing but a daypack you might be better suited to learning how to eat squirrel.
Yer pretty smart, ain't ya.
That is very sound thinking.

It is all about perspective though.
I have a nice place in the country so I wouldn't think twice about being able to utilize a 150lb whitetail via preservation. Oak, apple, plum and hickory smoke are my favored methods.

I'll bet that in a total SHTF situation there would be many animals wasted in the manner of which you speak by woodland newbies.

Good call sir!:thumb:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Here ya go.

http://www.wildwestguns.com/images/bigcopilotred1.jpg

http://www.wildwestguns.com/copilot.html

If you don't want a cartridge that big, I'm sure you could get them to build one in 30-30 or 35 remington, or 444 marlin, or 44 mag.

You are much more likely to get small game than large game in a survival situation, or when shtf, or on a leisurely stroll through the woods.

If you don't eat small game you are missing some damned good eating.

Can't remember who suggested a 40 S&W, but I would suggest against it, I've been disappointed with point blank shots with a 40 S&W on deer.

·
Zomby Woof
14,266 Posts
Here ya go.

http://www.wildwestguns.com/images/bigcopilotred1.jpg

http://www.wildwestguns.com/copilot.html

If you don't want a cartridge that big, I'm sure you could get them to build one in 30-30 or 35 remington, or 444 marlin, or 44 mag.

You are much more likely to get small game than large game in a survival situation, or when shtf, or on a leisurely stroll through the woods.

If you don't eat small game you are missing some damned good eating.

Can't remember who suggested a 40 S&W, but I would suggest against it, I've been disappointed with point blank shots with a 40 S&W on deer.
WOW!!:thumb:
Very nice!

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Get an AK with a folding stock. They don't take up much room at all. You can put them inside a rucksack or tennis racket bag. Dig them out as needed.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
I recently put a stainless TC Encore Pro Hunter on layaway at a local shop. 650.00 includes mount, rings and bore sight.

I got this one with camo furniture.
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firearmDetails.php?ID=5643

You can get a ton of different barrels from .17 to 500S&W and nearly everything in between, including some wildcats.

Rossi and H&R make combo long guns that might fill the bill as well.
VERY nice rifle! Certainly got my cogs turning...

·
Zomby Woof
14,266 Posts
VERY nice rifle! Certainly got my cogs turning...
LOL, when I picked it up and shouldered it I got a little weak in the knees.
The trigger has no play in it whatsoever, and breaks so clean it is scary.
Zero take-up, zero over-travel. I've never felt anything like it for that kind of price.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
LOL, when I picked it up and shouldered it I got a little weak in the knees.
The trigger has no play in it whatsoever, and breaks so clean it is scary.
Zero take-up, zero over-travel. I've never felt anything like it for that kind of price.
Outstanding! What barrel will you get?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts