Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member of this site for a few years now. Since joining, it has become clear to me that so many "preppers" or "survivalists just don't get it or they miss the point of prepping.

Prepping (IMHO) is not just for the end of the world catastrophes and there are many ways the S could hit the fan.

So many of us get caught up in the bunker mentality and focus on the beans, bullets and band aids of survival-ism. Just a random glance at thread titles makes this painfully clear. There is a disproportionate amount of threads regarding guns, end of the world situations, government conspiracies, mountains of of gold, underground bunkers and so forth.

Now, don't get me wrong, these topics are fun to discuss. However, I am talking about prepping for life in general. The "everyday" occurances that can make or break you.

Fires still remain the greatest threat to your property yet you will find very little discussion on fire prevention or fire fighting. How many threads have been started regarding class A,B or C fire extinguishers and how/when to apply them properly?

How many of you even own fire extinguishers? (I have 3) How about an escape or a rescue ladder for those of you on 2nd and 3rd floors? I am talking about the wire and aluminum type that will hook onto your window sill and roll out to the ground. We have one. I hate it and it gets in my way in our upstairs storage closet--yet I would not get rid of it. Its just two important. The same goes for our carbon monoxide detectors.

Do you have a fire safe? How many copies of important documents do you keep? We keep several copies of documents--in our BOB, in the safe and even some in my GHB. Eyeglass prescriptions for example--they do you no good if you are travelling and need replacement contacts.

Your preps should not be just a mountain of bullet-encased beans forming an island in your swimming pool. Not all preps are material either.

Insurance. This is an extremely important prep as far as I am concerned and will prevent a financial disaster should things go askew. Health insurance, car insurance (full coverage--not just liability) and even life insurance. Term costs less and will meet your needs, but whole life earns cash value. Do you rent? If so do you have renters insurance? How about flood insurance on your home owners policy?

Warrantees are another smart prep--especially if you own a home. Our home warrantee costs us $ 517 per year. It is worth its weight in gold--especially during the summer in Texas when the AC goes out. Last year alone it saved us over $3k in repairs. An extended warrantee on your vehicle is a good idea as well. It will save you a ton of money that can be applied to debt reduction, a BOL or even food preps.

Then there are the other preps we should all keep. Do you garden? How much fertilizer to you keep on hand? Do you have extra potting soil for container gardening?

Do you have enough hardware on hand to board up your windows? How about automotive supplies? How many oil changes can you do on your vehicle without needing to run up to Autozone? Do you have spare innertubes for your bike? How about panniers for said bike. Its much easier to carry your government issued cheese and daily water rations if your bike has panniers. (sarcasm off.)

Something as mundane as a few rolls of plumbers tape or a few tubes of caulk will allow you to keep things maintained--before and after the ball drops.

Clothing is another overlooked prep. How many spare socks and underwear do you have saved up? Do you have spare (new) shoes/boots? Or is your backup the worn out pair you held onto after getting new ones? Do you have material and the skill to sew, dorn socks, patch clothes or make other repairs to clothing?

What about personal hygiene? I don't see many posts about soap, toothpaste, shaving gear or deodorant. We keep about a 6 month supply (at current daily use rate) on hand. I choose Ivory soap because it floats--useful if you find yourself bathing in a lake or a creek. How many of you guys think to stock up feminine products for your missus?

Additionally, your preps should not be warehoused somewhere. Keep them accessible. Keep things in your car, at your office and even at your in-law's house. A plastic tub with a few essentials can make a huge difference if you get stuck visiting relatives. For those of you with small children, a dozen diapers and some wipes tucked away at mom's or in the trunk can make the difference between a good time and a miserable time.

Take a good look around you and evaluate you plans. Are you really "prepared?"

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I live in a flood plane so I am always ready to relocate if needed. I keep enough in my car to deal with the basics.

My assumptions are for 72 hours but most likely I will be able to get hot food for most meals via normal means. I also keep a spare change of cloths in my vehicle most of the time. I keep enough for decent sleep gear as well.

·
Bloodline Survivalist
73 Posts
I agree with you completely. diapers is huge. I though i had enough bought them 3 times this week, ran short on loot, then my german shepherd almost dies. a sh*t ton of money later at the vet he's better.didnt have meds or any knowledge of meds on my dog. he would have died without the vet. it made me think alot. then gas prices is thrown into it also. its the really little things that can also mess your day or days up totally. the little things add up that we over look and add up to huge things and snowball! back to the basics for me. Thanks for the check

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great post, agreed..

for the record, we have 2 new fire extinguishers, up to date smoke alarms and CO filters, an escape plan, home warranties, extra fertilizer, plenty of soap and the know how to make more, or coarse some things we are still working on since we just bought our house.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My wife is a couponer so we have tons of the personal hygiene products at any given time. I have about 100 bottles of body wash she got for free at wal-mart. Alot of my preps are for hurricane season so I know I've got alot of the more mundane stuff out of the way.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,836 Posts
I first started prepping for job loss and hadn't really paid any attention to the doomsday prophecies until seeing this board.

I woke up and am still prepping but now i'm prepping not only for job loss (which did happen, but doing ok becauseI was prepared) but for what might be coming. If it dosen't happen, no problem but i'll be prepared for anything that does, tornado, floods, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Very good post...we actually have 3 fire extinguishers in the house....1 next to the fireplace and 2 in the kitchen away from the stove. Some of this is common sense and sometimes the obvious does get over looked. Having adequate insurance for your situation shouldn't be overlooked. Oh ya forgot about the fire safe too.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I think the problem is agriculture and sustainable living is not as "cool" as talking about how you will survive fighting the golden horde when they somehow see the batman beacon in your backyard advertising in the sky you have preps

honestly id like to see more self sufficiency threads and less how to be a quasi terrorist threads

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,740 Posts
And for those of you young adults w/kiddo's:

If you don't start prepping now for sports, orthodonture, dances cars/insurance, college and in some cases weddings.......you are in for a rude awakening!

Great Post Highlander.....:thumb:

·
Hardcore survival
635 Posts
Yeah, great post... a lot of armchair huggers here

I've been doing this for 40 years... developed into true subsistence and survival homesteading.

Everything that came along became another lesson, another step in the "new scenario" / "new threat upgrade" that became a regular program.

It got complicated... went from gasoline engined cars, trucks & generators to an all diesel farm which could run on fuel oil stored for decades if needs be, and biodiesel also. As a backup, horse-drawn implements and wagons were collected and the experience to use them was gathered by living with the Amish for a while ..

The few people who know me say I'm the most prepared person they have ever stumbled upon. I claim I'm never prepared... I can't be that smug and off-guard to drop off to sleep.

My mentality: What's the new threat? What have we got to handle it? What do we need?

...it's an ongoing process

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hello,

I always thought of 'being prepared' as my late parents and mentors did... common sense ideas applied in your daily life. Plus they lived through some world wars and the 1930's depression not the 'depression' that we are living in now. Coming out of the last depression in the 1930's was a lot different than trying to come out of this one in my opinion. Especially since we outsourced good jobs and hardly make anything in THIS country anymore. Sorry for the side note.

I don't think of being prepared as in something out of 'The Road' book or movie. Quite frankly if it got that BAD - I would not want to be around! NO offense to anyone here.

I think of survival as surviving any man made or weather related emergency. That includes financial matters and getting your ducks in a row and never, ever getting into debt big time except for land/house/cabin and a vehicle if you can't pay cash for it. Paying off the land/home and vehicle early helps too. Having the cash on hand to pay your property taxes and other taxes helps too.

Cover your bases in your daily life... things that apply to you, your family or pets if you have any, and be responsible in your financial and personal life. Do your best with what you have and go from there. If need be... work harder and faster if you are new to emergency preparation or just never thought that bad things can happen to good people and WOKE UP! :)

I think that some people go way, way, WAY overboard in some things in their lives and/or don't think about or cover other THINGS that may be very important. However with that said, to each their own and that is their choice to make.

I see some things related to survival, guns and politics posted on several forums (As a member and non member.) and sometimes I just shake my head on what some posters do for 'survival' and yet they don't cover other things that would be BASIC for survival. Of course, that is my opinion and we all have them! :)

To each their own and I wish them the best even if I do not agree 100% with their ideas on survival in any man made or weather related emergency.

Catherine

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
An excellent and much-needed wake-up call, Highlander.

Unfortunately, the people who need this the most will ignore it. They will just run out to buy yet another gun, a bigger knife, more ammo and a gas mask.

Then, they will return home and post another doom-and-gloom "what would you do if the world ended" thread.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Really affordable and good quality source for backup glasses is here:

http://www.zennioptical.com/

We ordered a test pair for $10 for my sweetie. We're so impressed that we've ordered perscription Oakley look alikes in clear and tinted for shooting. Can't beat a $10 backup if you break your main pair, and if you need a backup to a backup..

Also, I coupon and can tell you for a fact that having a fully stocked pantry has been a lifesaver. About 4 years ago both my sweetheart and I were unemployed. I managed to find part time work that paid most of the bills, but there was nothing left over for food, travel, entertainment, etc.. We ate well from a full pantry, we were able to bike, hike, walk, read and play free video games together for entertainment, we reload and were still able to go to the range, etc, all without dipping into savings because of our preps. We also didn't need social welfare... And learning from having to use our preps has taught us even more about priorities... Life is full of surprises, and anyone who stops learning has stopped living, IMO.

As a way of life, it is different from other peoples, but our lifestyle is just as fulfilling... In some ways, more so, because we know we have backups, and backups to our backups in case our plans failed.

Reminds me of a guy I knew who had a sports car with a vanity plate that read Plan A, and a boat named Plan B.... Having plans c, d, e, etc is a just a good lifestyle choice in general.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts