Survivalist Forum banner

121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
I just wanted to say, since I first posted in your thread 5 weeks ago I'd been thinking about lifting weights again. I'm 53 years old and haven't worked out since 2003 or so. Back in the 90s I used to do 185 lbs for 3 sets of 12 reps on the incline bench press.

Two weeks ago I started working out, with dumbells just like I told you. Then I also started doing barbell squats and benchpress. I'm nowhere near as strong as I was in the 90s, but I can already see and feel a difference, although I'm still at the really sore stage.

I don't have kettlebells but I have darn heavy tractor tire and some logs. At some point I'll work those into my routine, flipping them around on the grass outside.

Also decided to cut down heavily on carbs and sugar.

Thanks for the inspiration! :thumb:

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
I just wanted to say, since I first posted in your thread 5 weeks ago I'd been thinking about lifting weights again. I'm 53 years old and haven't worked out since 2003 or so. Back in the 90s I used to do 185 lbs for 3 sets of 12 reps on the incline bench press.

Two weeks ago I started working out, with dumbells just like I told you. Then I also started doing barbell squats and benchpress. I'm nowhere near as strong as I was in the 90s, but I can already see and feel a difference, although I'm still at the really sore stage.

I don't have kettlebells but I have darn heavy tractor tire and some logs. At some point I'll work those into my routine, flipping them around on the grass outside.

Also decided to cut down heavily on carbs and sugar.

Thanks for the inspiration! :thumb:

I've been in the gym steady since 2009 at age 53. I've gained a lot of muscle over time, I have a "throw enough poop against the wall and some of it has to stick" attitude.

I belong to a cheap gym that everyone makes fun of. I try to make it 3x a week, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't depending on doctor visits and stuff like that.

I was in PT from last November until April, I did a workout there but not what I needed to do and wasn't making progress with my back and shoulder injuries.

I have cut way back on sugar and carbs too, also salt since I retain water. We have a good cafeteria at work with an excellent salad bar.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Slept horribly last night, then straight to work. I got all my activity points (70). Came home, housework, home care, pet care - got 87 activity points.

Kettlebells tomorrow. I hope to do 30 pound swings x 3 sets.

Sarco, keep it up! Doing something consistently is the way to go. I have committed to 150 minutes of cardio every week and so far I have been hitting that goal.

Reactions: sarco2000

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Slept better but some drama at home.

Still! Got out and did it. 10 minutes on the bike to warm up, then Kettlebells. I started with the get-ups. Did 4 each side with pretty good form. Went to swings.

20 x 5 (warm up set)
20 x 30
20 x 30
20 x 20
20 x 20

When I went to do squats my knees were unhappy. Not injured but just done. So I quit. I am not injuring myself over probably a dozen squats total. I will be going out and running errands on the bus today so I will get plenty of walking, carrying, etc.

I did already get my cardio points for the day, according to the tracker.

I also got my husband off the floor 1 time and he got himself up the other time. :eek:

Now it's time for my shower.

5 PM edit:
45 cardio minutes
62 move minutes

It has been a very mixed day, the kind where the punching bag seems like a really good purchase. Fitness blog so I won't go into details. Anyway, plan to do some stretching in the garage later on so probably another 10 move minutes or so.

Oh, I forgot to tell you, I tried an elliptical a couple times, not liking the movement so I will be getting a punching bag at some future point.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
30 minutes on the exercise bike this morning. Another rough night but I did it anyway.

Later, I took a long walk to a gas station that has seating, bought a few things, sat down and read my book for a while, then came back. Good walks.

Weekly totals:
Move minutes 530 min
Heart points (cardio): 287 minutes

Today: 77 move minutes, 64 cardio points, just under 2 miles walked.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If someone hasn't already mentioned it, Try a medicine ball workout, Friday was a mixed partner/self 2 hour workout with a 20 pound medicine ball, I'm feeling it today.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Don't you need 2 people for that?

I imagine that would really work the core. I have seen the balls and could easily get one. I am sort of limited in space available.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
35 minutes on the bike this morning. Another bad night but I still got my heart rate up where it should be.

My fitness tracker increased my goals again.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Planned to get up at 3 am to work out. Another bad night of sleep.

I think I figured it out, one of my supplements may be to blame so I started taking it mornings (today) instead of the evening.

Anyway, did work and all that crap, came home, tried to take a nap, couldn't, got some dinner with my husband. I waited about 3.5 hours before I did my workout.

Bike 11 minutes (a good song was on so why stop?)
Kettlebells. I changed them up a little bit today. I did get-ups first like I did before because, to me, they are the "hardest). Did 4 each side.

Then I did the squats. I would rather give them preferential treatment, and "be better at" squats than swings. I see a squat as a more functional exercise.
15 at bodyweight,
11 at 5 pounds (warmups)
Decided to go heavier than last time 7 @ 25 (surprised myself),
5 at 25. Pretty done after that.

Took a couple minute break and then swings. I went lighter than last time, considering I haven't rested well, a lot of stress, already did the other work, etc.
20 swings at 20 pounds, for 4 sets. That's it. It was some good work.

20 minutes.

I left my phone at home this morning so all tracking for work activity was lost. I put in an hour's walk, that should be basically equivalent.

Reactions: 44 Flattop

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
A work day.

I finally got a better night's sleep, I was right about the supplement keeping me up. I am funny that way sometimes.

After work, home, etc. I took a walk this afternoon. 30 minutes. 96 move minutes for the day, and 28 cardio points.

I will probably do the bike tomorrow.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Rode the bike yesterday, half an hour.

Woke up horribly depressed today, it took me hours to get up for my workout. I finally got a good playlist going and got on the bike for a 14 minute warmup.

Then Kettlebells.

Get up: did FIVE each side. Always happy to see improvement.

I decided to go pretty easy on myself, with my mood so awful.

Squats: 12 at bodyweight (I could have done more, but this is just a warmup), 8 at 5 pounds, 4 x 25 pounds, 5 x 15.

Swing: 20 x 5 (warm up and reminder on proper form), 30 x 15, 25 x 15

I would like to add something else to my routine, I feel ready for it. I have a couple of days to figure it out.

Whole workout was a little more than half an hour. I aim for half an hour most days a week.

Got a tape measure in the mail. Measurements are about the same they were last time I checked. Discouraging, but my mood is better, I have more energy, and stronger. Those are all good results.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
A lot of running around at work, over 75 points.

I meant to get up this morning and take a walk, it didn't work out, but I took one around 5-6 PM. 24 minutes... I took a different route and figured it would take longer.

If I combine the two routes that is a one hour walk. The heat was supposed to be bad but I didn't find it so.

I am taking tomorrow off workouts.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Yesterday was a planned day off.

Today was insane. I had planned to get up very early and work out (kettlebells) but I had nightmares and could not sleep, so I resolved to do it later today.

Running around at work - JUST work - got me over 79 "move minutes" out of 75. After work my husband took me out to dinner. I did not overindulge and planned to work out with kettlebells around 6-7.

It rolled around and I was all out of gas. I did, however, think I could manage 20 minutes on the exercise bike. So I did that and had a good intense workout.

Total move minutes for today are 105
35 cardio (I got some just running around at work)

Not sure what I am doing tomorrow, again, another crazy day.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Yesterday was just really rugged by any standard. He was in an extreme amount of pain, literally screaming off and on all day. We still had to work. I finally gave him some Kratom, which helped.

So today is "off" except for taking him to the doctor later. I slept in until about 5:30 AM and got up.

Had a headache, had to beat that before I did kettlebells. Beat it.

13 minutes on the exercise bike to warm up.
Changed up my sequence again.

Squats first: 10 bodyweight, 10 at 5 pounds, 5 at 25 pounds (I am more focused on building strength as opposed to "hot" thighs/butt/whatever), 6 x 20, 6x 20

Then I did the getups. If I do them last I have a hard time getting off the floor, when I'm done! SIX on each side today - seeing some good gains. I could feel my abs working during.

Then the swings. I did 20 at 5, 30 at 20, turned on some music did 20 x 20 and 30 x 15. I wanted to focus on doing the movement correctly vs just slinging around a heavier weight.

All done except for shower and taking him to the doctor. We are having a thunderstorm right now so glad I didn't take a walk.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Had a migraine yesterday.

Did 45 minutes on the bike this morning.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Work first, got all my active points there.... but I didn't let it stop me.

15 minute walk, a storm was coming in, the sky was so pretty with the clouds and the lightning in the distance,moving closer.

Then kettlebells in the garage. Get ups 4 each side
Squat, 10 bodyweight, 10 x 5, 5 x 25, 6x 25, 3 x 25
Swing: 20x 5, 20 reps at 25 pounds, did that 3 times.

20 minutes on Kettlebell, about half an hour total.

All done for the day.

Tomorrow will be some flavor of cardio. I had such a nice walk I may do another one.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Half an hour on the bike this morning.

Week so far: 417 move minutes
216 cardio points
I am happy considering I was very depressed and had a horrible week with him besides.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Busy at work, got 85 activity points before I left.

Took a half hour walk before dinner.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Yesterday was crazy, got over 80 "move minutes" just running around. No formal workout.

Today was kettlebells. I almost slept in and said "Do them later" but I have to go to bed early tonight. So I got up anyway and did it.

10 minutes on the bike to warm up.
Get ups: 5 each side.
Squats: 10 @ bodyweight, 10 x 5 pounds, 6 x 25, 5 x 25, 7 x 25
Swing (I was running out of time as the cable guy is due any minute so I cut it short): 20 x 5, 20 x 25, 20 x 25 (didn't do third set).

20 minutes for kettlebells. 30 minutes total. I feel worked but in a good way.

·
Possum Lover
15,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Another crazy day at work.

Total 106 activity minutes out of 75.
28 "heart points" (cardio)

After work, I came home and took a nap (I had gotten up at 2 AM). Then I took a walk to the gas station, bought a treat, and walked back home. 35 cardio minutes total.

I will be checking the mail shortly (I saw the truck down the street) and after that I will be relaxing for the rest of the day.

Over 8 thousand steps.

121 - 140 of 168 Posts