Survivalist Forum banner

101 - 120 of 168 Posts

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Well, first the dentist. He had to go. I have big phobias about the dentist so I got some donuts on the way home. They had to drill him. I hate that sound.

Took a nap, got up, got on the bike for 20 minutes to warm up/cardio. Then Kettlebells.

19 minutes
First, a whole lot of swings. I started with 5 pounds to warm up, did a set of 20. All my swings are a set of 20.

1 set of 5,
3 sets with 25 (!)
1 set 20

Then thrusters (a squat with an overhead press at the top) I have a bad knee so I do try to baby it while still doing the workout. I know my knee will get a lot worse if I am not exercising it.

Thrusters: 13 reps at 5, then 8 reps at 10 pounds.

I added something new today: half turkish get-ups. Basically go from lying to sitting, with a kettlebell in one hand.

I used 5 pounds. I was very careful to focus on proper form. I laid on the mats I bought. I managed to do 6 reps. I could do the movement so I will be adding this in, full get ups are not advised for someone with a knee problem. But I can do halves which are good core work.

All done, turned off my fan (so glad I have a fan in the garage) and came in the house. That A/C felt so good.

We have to get up at 2 AM tomorrow for work so I will be going to bed early. Not sure if I will be doing any sort of cardio tomorrow.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
For now I am doing the "easy" version and going from lying to sitting up.

Give it a week or two and I will try a full stand. Not too stiff today, ever since I started kettlebells my hamstrings have been killing me but not today.

And at some point I need to go to the store and get a 30# one.

I found a "make your own dumbbell" handle in the house, just one, but was able to buy another, similar, handle on Amazon for $7. That comes today along with some racks to organize what's left in the garage. I have a pretty good assortment of plates for now.

But no weights until Saturday, I like to give it a couple of days. I plan to take a walk either today or tomorrow depending on how it works out, maybe even both days.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
1. Got up at 2 am for work.
2. Got all my activity points at work.
3. Came home, took care of my husband, took a nap.
4. Got up after my nap and took a 15 minute walk.
5. Dumbbell handle came, looks nice.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Migraine today.

NO kettlebells
NO cardio

Did some fetal curls :p in bed with the cat. Happily no heaves.

Have heavy work to do tomorrow so whatever I will do will be early evening most likely.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Woke up with a migraine. Still had to work. It was my busiest day of the week at work.

Went to the warehouse, got my supplies, got them to work, put them away and stocked, helped my husband, etc.

Came home, took a nap. Got up, walked to bus stop, went to bank, ran errands, walked to bus stop, walked home from bus stop.

No formal workout but:
126 move minutes out of 70
21 cardio points
9, 418 steps (!)
Walked 3.1 miles total

Hit or exceeded all my goals for the week.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Woke up early, did a brief workout.

10 minute walk to warm up.
20 minutes kettlebells.

Swing: 20 x 5#, 20x 15, 20 x20, 20x25 (times two)
Then squats: Bodyweight x 10 (warm up), 9 x 15, 6 x20 (these are the heaviest weights I have used on squats in a while)
Half Turkish Get ups - I did 3! :rofl: I had hoped for 10 each side, but I'll get there.

Then I put my short rack together for kettlebells and gym books.

And I don't think that link worked so we'll try this one.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10219593086968125&set=a.1054349009335&type=3&eid=ARAlHCjzYlf_PwMT_Rf-63hn2DUgHev5Z4gqC04TnBt_xkBFnR4wIT_lgSMSbuMERK6-cy3CZZsT-oCp

My husband is passed out on the floor so not likely we are going out later. I am going to finish the other rack.

Reactions: jojo64155

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Yesterday was a lot of running around, got all my activity points even though I didn't do a formal workout (sleep deprived, etc).

Today is a day off, my Saturday, so I slept in until 8, got up, did 10 minutes on the bike to warm up. My husband asked me to take out some trash. I did. I only realized I was in my sport bra and bike shorts when I caught a female neighbor gawking at me on my way back to the house. I was also wearing a headband.

I helped him out with a few things, set my tracker, and did Kettlebells. I plan to do them all this month and see how that goes.

Swings: 20 at 5 pounds to warm up. 30 at 25, 20 at 25, 20 at 25, 20 at 25. I ordered another kettlebell so I can "go harder" on my swings. It wasn't much more, delivered.

Squat: 10 at bodyweight to warm up. 6 at 20, 8 at 15, 7 at 10, 6 at 5. Pretty wiped out after that.

Half Turkish Get ups. I did all my getups, last time, on one side, so I decided to alternate, left, right.

2 on each side. It was work. But it is 1 more than I did last time. :)

Now off to take a shower and run some errands. Back.

Fitness tracker:
65 Move minutes out of 70
63 cardio points out of 35
2,926 steps
1.1 miles (but a lot of standing)

Reactions: Just Jeff

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Pretty tired and stiff this morning, I did 30 minutes intervals on the bike, at a lower level than normal. Got it done! Feel OK, too. I need to take 2 days between Kettlebell workouts.

Reactions: Just Jeff

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Still stiff, also battling depression. Took an easy day, but still had to work which equalled, I kid you not, over 100 activity points.

Came home, took a nap, got up and did some stretching in the garage.

13 minutes of stretching.

113 move minutes out of 70
8 cardio points (wasn't even trying)
7,036 steps
1.77 miles walked (will be higher after I go to the mailbox).

Not sure what I will do tomorrow - if nothing else some form of cardio.

Week totals I have already hit the "suggested" cardio goal, also hitting my average on "move minutes" (activity points).

So I don't feel bad about backing off a little if that's what my body needs.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Depression's pretty bad today (I cycle in and out, the fun high energy mania is coming), so I took it easy, finally threw myself out the door and took a longer, 25 minute, walk. Came home, showered, got dressed. Went to Walmart. I got some more gym flooring, it is on clearance I believe. I walked around for a while, only "bad" thing purchased was a pint of ice cream.

I ate and called a cab to go home. Now we have to work on accounting stuff. I will do Kettlebells tomorrow. Odds are I will not hit my goals for the day but I did get some cardio and fresh air, didn't drown my sorrows, so pretty pleased.

I did look at the fitness clothes but nothing suited and I am pretty well set anyway.

I noticed my pants are a lot looser. I didn't measure when I started so not sure how many inches I've lost.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Still depressed, got up and did it anyway. It took me 2 caffeine drinks (total about 140 mg) to get going.

10 minutes on the bike to warm up, and then kettlebells.

I read "you" can do squats and deadlifts in the same workout so I took it for a run today.

Swings: 20 reps at 5 pounds to warm up. 20 @ 15, 20 x 25, 20 x25. My new kettlebell was sitting on the rack looking lonely and calling me. What the hell, I did 20 swings at 30 pounds. I guess I can step up to that now.

Squats: 15 at bodyweight (working my way up on that), 10 x5 pounds, 7 at 20, 4 at 20

Deadlifts :rofl: 10 at 5, 2 at 10. I apparently have nothing left for deadlifts, after I've done squats. Particularly 4 sets. I might get away with 2 sets of each but not 4 of each, not at present.

Getups were encouraging, I did 3 good reps on each side with good form, then 1 on each side with bad form (lifting my foot off the mat). So 4 each side. All at 5 pounds. Kept my eye on the kettlebell and only cheated on the last rep.

I did have a little trouble getting off the mat when I finished. I need to either put something nearby I can grab or save a little for getting up off the floor.

All done with my workout for the day, and it isn't even 10. Shower time.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Still depressed but sleeping OK. I give the workouts some credit for that.

Got up, wound myself up, did 30 minutes intervals on the bike. I felt pretty strong physically.

Off to drink a breakfast shake and take my antidepressant.

·
Author of Hitwoman
2,961 Posts
I worry when seeing someone learning to use kettlebells. I'd suggest you check out dragondoor's website. The guy (a Russian) is the originator of using the ab wheel and is pretty sharp. They also offer classes to use proper form. My lifting partner and I were able to get a teacher to come teach our football team how best to use them and it was enlightening! Tiny nuances can make all the difference between a good and bad rep and potential injury. :thumb::thumb:

While their kettlebells are far superior to those purchased in stores, they are very expensive - admittedly for a reason. Once you've used one made by dragondoor it's tough to go back to a standard one again! :)

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I read a lot and watched some videos. The swing was pretty easy once I realized I had to throw a rather raunchy hip thrust into the movement. TGU was a little trickier,had to watch a couple videos on that. Squats are squats. :)

The Amazon kettlebell was the easiest to obtain, and I didn't have to pay anyone to take me home with it. Sporting goods ones were fine but again, had to pay someone to take me home with it.

Transportation is the one area I feel really disabled. My problems don't affect me much the rest of the time.

I am not ashamed to admit I still use the 5# bell for various things like warm up and the get-up.

Reactions: 44 Flattop

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Depressed. Decided to work out after work, home, nap, some housecleaning.

I had already hit most of my activity points but a half hour walk kicked it up.

95 move minutes out of 70
28 cardio points (I am for 25 a day)
7,865 steps
3.11 miles total for the day

I plan to do kettlebells tomorrow morning.

·
Author of Hitwoman
2,961 Posts
Excellent. If you understand the "raunchy hip thrust," you're doing good! It really is important. :D: Pop those hips! :thumb:

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I'm very much a visual learner. If I see it done I get it. Try and tell me it's just blah blah. Part of one of my disabilities.

But it's always been great for my husband, sit me down with a manual and I am good to go.

Winding myself up for my workout today. It is interesting how much the kettlebells work my hamstrings - they ached for weeks after I got started. And, like I told my Dad, it's a lot easier to face a 20 minute kettlebell workout in the morning when depressed.

Edit, took me about an hour and 140 mg of caffeine to wind myself up to today's workout.

10 minutes on the bike
Swings, 20x5 (warmup), 20x25, 20x30, 20x30, 20x20
Squat: 10 bodyweight, just feeling unmotivated and creaky today. 8 at 5, 7 x20, 8x20 ended better than I hoped.
Half get-up: focused on good form today, did 3 each side.

19 minutes.

It is a day off so running errands in cab or on the bus. More later.

Ran all my errands. Got my 70 "move minutes" in addition to my cardio points.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Off day. Out on the bus today, running (mostly fun) errands.

20 cardio points
69 activity points.
5,848 steps
2.25 miles

We have a "cold" front, so highs in the 80's, not bad weather to go out.

101 - 120 of 168 Posts