Survivalist Forum banner

81 - 100 of 168 Posts

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
We have a park about 1/2 mile away, but I have to walk it. I found some bars online for 20-40, they go over the doorframe, then I can do all the embarrassing flailing around at home. I'm thinking that might work.

Some rude people at the park. Most notable was a bunch of mexican yard guys there to mow,saw me running, stopped and laughed at me (loudly) every time I came by, making comments in spanish.

I never mock someone trying to get fit. Ever.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
The only reason I say parks or playgrounds is the sturdiness or the bars, there are numerous example of over the door frame pull up are and people falling. They are notorious for that. It's a safety thing, that, and personal injury.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Left, I injured my foot about a month ago and only good to walk about 1/2 mile at a time. Going to and from the park might be a problem. Besides, I am vain enough that I don't want to be seen hanging from the bars in public, trying to lever myself up. Probably end up on Youtube.

My towels arrived and I washed them. They soaked up a lot of water in the washer. I am impressed. Tomorrow no workout, but some cleaning and organizing in the garage.

I found a book on calisthenics, I am reading that right now along with a book on kettlebells. That should keep me busy for a while.

I am currently doing 3 cardio days a week.
One day Kettlebells
One day upperbody/back/deadlifts
One day squats and legs

I may change that up or add a few moves to the current workouts. I try to be flexible with my workout plans. About the only things I am keeping for sure are legs, squats, deadlifts, and swings.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Today's an off day. I might go somewhere on the bus but that's it.

I have some photos of my garage:

Reactions: jojo64155

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Yeah, my husband doesn't like me going to the gym (taking me, or having me go alone, gym perverts, etc.) so it was easier to build my own.

Totally depressing day today, nothing I could do to fix it, so I went out on the bus. Walked about 40 minutes total, foot is yelling some. I got 15 cardio points for fast walking.

Tomorrow is leg day. Not sure how much cardio I will perform.

Reactions: 44 Flattop

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Busy day today.

So I got up at 3:30 AM and did it. 15 minutes on the bike, then leg day.

Squats: (warmup set) 12 x 5 pounds, 9x10, 10x10
Leg Extension: 6x 35, 10x30, 7x30
Leg curl: 9x25, 7x25, 4x25

Then I did stretching and some abs. All done, took about 40 minutes total. Then a shower and helping my husband get ready for the day.

It's nice to know I'm already DONE with the workout. Any "points" I get after this are just a bonus. I already maxed out my cardio points for the day. I will get my "move minutes" at work, we took 3 days off so I will be busy.

I am holding off on buying any equipment until I purge as much as I can, possibly get some racks, and possibly rearrange the area. My weight bench currently blocks stuff in storage and my dumbbell racks. It is very inconvenient to "go around" every time.

The tiles should come the next day or two, I will put up a photo of them installed when I do it.

Edit, no tiles yet.

106 "move minutes" out of 70
39 cardio minutes out of 35.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Day off.

I assembled my flooring, but had a problem with it.

Image feature is not working so I will put up a link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10219490094233371&set=a.1054349009335&type=3&eid=ARCi3fil1V6o3zkNwcvdGHFBR40wgd5UW61SrmjBOUqGH56W05jKF6hG7c4RbKBBoxadZbeoxeXCS5GI
Biscuit was most unhappy I moved him to do ab work on the floor (very comfortable with the mat/flooring).

So, abs on the floor, then 30 minute intervals on the exercise bike. That is all done for the day, now time for a shower.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I took the day off working out, but did walk a mile to the bus and running errands.

If things work out, it looks like it is kettlebells for tomorrow.

While out today, I bought more olympic plates. My triceps pressdown is awfully easy so I want to ramp it up.

Today has just been awful so I am looking forward to slinging some heavy metal tomorrow morning. I will probably have to get up very early but I am OK with that.

I just checked our pickup times. Yeah, I will have to get up at 3. I had better get ready to go to bed!

Worst case I will do my workout when I get home from work.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Here I am again! Got up at 3.

Did 10 minutes on the bike and then kettlebells for 15 minutes.

I decided to simplify. I did swings (all the books agree that is a full body move), 20x 5 pounds, 10 pounds, 15, 20, 25 pounds. 20 swings of each. I was really gasping on the last one but I could do it with moderate difficulty.

Then I did thrusters. This is an adapted crossfit move (I'm not crazy enough for crossfit), where you squat with the weight and then go to standing and thrust the weight above your head, then back to starting position.

7 with 5 pounds, deep squats below parallel.
11 with 5, at parallel.
I said that the hell and got the 10 pound, did 10 with that. So looks like I can use the 10 now and maybe even the 15, after my warmup set.

I was very happy, and gasping for breath. I staggered over to my cell phone and turned off the tracker. Once I cooled off a little I did stretchy band exercises for my shoulders. I have mild arthritis in my shoulders from my job so I aim to stay limber.

Then I had a protein shake and took my pills. I got about 3 hours of sleep last night so I am really happy I had such a good workout. If things work out I will get a nap today.

So far tracker says 34 move minutes out of 70 (at 4 AM), 43 out of 35 cardio minutes. I hit my cardio goal for the week. Taking yesterday off of workouts really seems to have paid off.

Edit to add, went to work, then came home and took a nap. Took a walk around 3. 52 cardio points total, 80 "move minutes" out of 70. I took a pretty brisk walk and felt a good burn in my calves but NOT in my feet. Good.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Did NOT get up early today. Ran errands with my husband, came home, took a nap. THEN got up and did my workout, kind of a "long run" on the exercise bike, 35 minutes. I normally do 30 but working my way up to 45. I think 45 minutes 3-4 times a week will work. Plus weights.

Now off to read a book about kettlebells before my Walmart grocery delivery. The grocery delivery has been a game changer for me as I don't drive.

Reactions: jojo64155

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Today was a day "off" but I was pretty stiff from the kettlebells. And remember I only did them for 15 minutes! :eek: Those things will kick your butt.

Had to work, today is our inventory supply day. Suffice to say plenty of back and shoulders work, arms, etc.

Came home, took a nap. I was tired of being stiff so I did a stretchy band workout for my shoulders out of my husbands physical therapy book.

He never does the exercises but I am going to, if I have them available. For what we paid for his rehab I better get some benefit.

So I did that, then took a walk, a little under a mile, came home and did a 10 minute stretching workout. My stability ball is too small for the back work, I will need a bigger one, but it is fine for crunches and ab work.

That is it! Some COLD tap water out of the fridge.

119 move minutes today, out of 70, 522 for the week (goal 490)
26 cardio points today (on an off day for workouts), 268 for the week (goal 150)
7,847 steps today, 26,942 for the week
2.35 miles today, 8.89 miles for the week.

Tomorrow I plan to do bike and upper body + deadlifts.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
UP at 7! Pretty stiff so I lived my life for about an hour before I did my workout.

Got out shrimpy shrimp cat treats, lured cat out from by exercise bike. Treated all 3 cats. I had already changed into my bike shorts. I LOVE those things with a baggy t-shirt.

Sorry, not a fashion blog. Did a warmup, then 30 minute intervals on the bike, cool down.

Then out into garage with my notebook, a powerade (I like the flavor better) and one of my weight books.

Deadlift: 6 with a 10 pound barbell. Switched to Kettlebells: 5 reps at 10 pounds, 7 at 5. I "drove my heels into the floor" per the weight training books. I like a deadlift because it works everything, even my calves.

Upright Row: 8 with the 10 pound barbell.
Bent over row: I did 8 reps with a 20 pound dumbbell on the right, switched sides, 9 reps on the right with 20 pounds.

Note: I do not have anything bigger than a 20# dumbbell. So I will need to get more.

Chest press: 11 with 12 pound dumbbells.
Biceps: I like my EZ curl bar, used that with 10 pounds, 8 reps.
Triceps with a rope: 10 reps at 10 pounds.
Overhead press: 5 reps with a 10 pound barbell. If the garage caught on fire I would probably carry the barbell out first.
Rear delts: 5 at 5 pounds. I suck at rear delts.
Pullover (first time doing them, hence the book) 15 reps at 5 pounds. Read later I should do pullover before triceps.
Abs on ball: pitiful
Abs on floor: failed in 2 reps, shaking like a drug addict, called it done.

Protein shake, crazy pills, and then caregiving. After that a shower and move caregiving.

Total workout took about an hour. I have to take him to multiple doctors this week so nice to get some of my workout out of the way ahead of time.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Not a heavy day.

I went out in the garage and rearranged my orientation on everything 90 degrees. Squat cage faced the wall, I turned it so it faced the garage door (after stripping off the barbells and weight plates. I also moved my bench and put it "in" the cage. Then I put back all of the barbells and weight plates.

I set up the floor fan (big, too loud for house use and scares cats) and plugged it in, it looks good. Felt great. I should have worn a headband when I as out working in the garage, but I didn't think it would be "hard" Ha!

Then I came in, caregiver stuff, then exercise bike for 30 minutes. Nothing fancy, just steady state pedaling about 15 mph for half an hour. Don't have anything else planned for today.

Tuesday is off weights so I might just do some ab work, we have to work and then run him to the doctor, that will take a while and I will be pretty wiped out by the time we get home.

·
Possum Lover
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Not working out, but planning tomorrow and future workouts. Already got my activity points, 93 out of 70, and not done yet.

Pivotal moment. I was at a gas station. I got off a "short bus" and bought the driver a drink, a large fountain beverage, and something for myself (iced tea). I had a drink in each hand as I approached the bus. I had to climb the stairs without using my hands, and I could, easily. That was a nice little moment for me.

Today I plan to research half-Turkish-get-ups for my kettlebell workout tomorrow.

Reactions: 44 Flattop
81 - 100 of 168 Posts