Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Possum Lover
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several instances where I had to keep him from falling on the floor, a couple where I had to get him OFF the floor, this week I had to hold him up until someone could get to us with a wheelchair..

Even if I didn't care about my own health (I do), I need to be in top shape.

So.

He bought me weight, weight bench, squat cage, etc. as a wedding present years ago. We also have a recumbent bike he bought used. It works great and I am under the weight limit.

I also (embarrassed to admit) have one of those plastic fitness steps, you go up and down on the thing. I also have some Walk Away the Pounds DVDs.

I am doing a combo of weights and cardio, working my way up because I still have to take care of him, run the business, and be functional.

Today was back/leg day. I also did some cardio. I had planned to do 10 minutes on the bike (like I said, working my way up) and 10 minutes on the step, but the step killed me after 3 minutes and I crawled off to the weights.

I like dumbbell, barbell exercises because you don't need a machine, but I was told years ago to make a point of working my quads so I do that on the leg extension thing.

Any suggestions? I don't really care about getting hot - the only man I'm with finds me appealing, but I am wanting to focus on strength.

·
Cat and parrot whisperer
1,228 Posts
I have had several instances where I had to keep him from falling on the floor, a couple where I had to get him OFF the floor, this week I had to hold him up until someone could get to us with a wheelchair..

Even if I didn't care about my own health (I do), I need to be in top shape.

So.

He bought me weight, weight bench, squat cage, etc. as a wedding present years ago. We also have a recumbent bike he bought used. It works great and I am under the weight limit.

I also (embarrassed to admit) have one of those plastic fitness steps, you go up and down on the thing. I also have some Walk Away the Pounds DVDs.

I am doing a combo of weights and cardio, working my way up because I still have to take care of him, run the business, and be functional.

Today was back/leg day. I also did some cardio. I had planned to do 10 minutes on the bike (like I said, working my way up) and 10 minutes on the step, but the step killed me after 3 minutes and I crawled off to the weights.

I like dumbbell, barbell exercises because you don't need a machine, but I was told years ago to make a point of working my quads so I do that on the leg extension thing.

Any suggestions? I don't really care about getting hot - the only man I'm with finds me appealing, but I am wanting to focus on strength.
Well, I don't know your age range, but it really doesn't matter that much. What I'd say is very important is to take things slow and make sure you do it right as well. As you noted, you don't want to get injured. I've seen people that hurt themselves much more easily especially once the age of 40 is reached. Just have to be careful is all. Good for you though and good luck!

·
Possum Lover
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in my mid 40's. Worked out pretty seriously late 20's to mid 30's.

Life is getting "worse" emotionally, other issues, so I stopped. But my life isn't getting better and it sure won't if I can't do what needs to be done.

One wakeup for me, my knee is rather stiff getting off the paratransit van, it is several "good" steps to get down and I have been favoring the one leg because the other feels weak.

****, I ran a half marathon on that leg. I can get it back!

·
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29
5,539 Posts
Make sure you stay hydrated and you don't flush away all your electrolytes. This is all the time, not just around your workouts.

Pay attention to what you are doing so you don't drop a weight on your toe, strain or break something with bad form/technique...

Spiritual health is more important than physical or mental health, although all are important... Remember to pray before, during, and after your workouts :)

Weigh and measure yourself periodically... as things progress, it's a nice incentive, motivator, and reminder... it's even more important/helpful during plateaus and discouragement/frustration...

Remember you are still doing functional exercise at work (lifting/toting inventory, etc.) and home (cleaning, etc.), so take that into account as you keep your exercise balanced.

·
Possum Lover
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a blood test yesterday (want to see where I am) and did leg day when I got home.

So far I am only doing one set each on my exercises and taking it pretty easy. I am also doing cardio intervals too.

I don't really care what I look like as long as I am healthy. That's my goal and one I think I can handle. If I think "I have to lose certain inches/sized by this time" I will have a lot of pressure on myself.

I have a huge family history of heart disease and worry about that. I know cardio will help (I also take Vitamin E).

The lithium acts as a diuretic and I drink about 2 gallons a day. :eek: But it seems to work OK. I have fresh fruit and vegetables on hand so I am getting my minerals, plus I take a big handful of supplements every day too. I also have gatorade powder on hand.

Pottery, told you this before, I have you blocked. What I have seen quoted in other threads leads me to keep you there.

When I get my blood test results I will put them up.

·
Possum Lover
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blood test results were excellent. No anemia, very mildly elevated cholesterol, thyroid, a1c, all great. No kidney or liver damage from medication, no diabetes.

Off I go to do some cardio today. Tomorrow I will be fetching a lot of inventory and doing pretty heavy labor at work. I won't strain anything before that but I will do some powerlifting after I get home.

·
MyPrepperLife
3,973 Posts
PK, good for you for starting an exercise regimen!

I don't "work out" per se, but I do quite a lot of physical work almost daily because I have an off-grid, homesteading-type lifestyle. There is no doubt all the physical exertion has been of benefit to my health.

For example, I used to have a fair amount of lower-back pain, but I don't have much of it anymore. According to my doctor, when I shovel snow or harvest firewood, I'm using the same muscles I'd use if I were doing physical therapy for my back.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
PK,

Congratulations for starting to work out.

As other have said and you're doing, slowly build and work your way up.

Good job rotating between working out your lower body every other day, and upper body every other day.

Good luck!

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
Leg and torso strength are important for picking up weight from the floor. To me this means back and leg strength. But at our age we can't jump into doing squats and deadlifts, some of the best all around exercises.

Do plenty of lunges with dumbells. This will lesson the danger of hurting your back, and build up strength in your thighs and butt, which will help with picking him up off the floor. At the same time, your grip strength will improve. In fact, most of your work should be with dumbells, as heavy as you can manage.

Picking him up with the arms is also a pulling motion, and that is done with the back muscles.

Pull ups will strengthen the upper back. You may not be able to do your full body weight, but you can assist with your legs just enough so that you are still using your back muscles as much as possible.

You can also do sitting rows, like on a rowing machine, or do dumbell lifts on a bench for the medium/lower back muscles:

Shoulder shrugs may also help with pulling weight from the floor.

·
Possum Lover
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome! I have a nice set of dumbbells so I am set.

I have been doing body weight squats and then deadlifts with a 10 pound standard barbell.

Tomorrow is heavy labor day at work, then I will come home and do "powerlifts" (squat with body weight, deadlift with 10# standard bar, and chest presses with dumbbells.

I may do arms/shoulders on top of that. I should have plenty of energy. I have an EZ curl barbell, a lot of dumbells, and the barbell.

Then take Sunday off, do Monday as cardio only on the recumbent bike (hubby knew the way to spoil me - I don't want girly stuff but watch me get excited about a new pair of dumbbells).

Do you think a kettlebell is worth it?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ok, good on you for wanting to work out.

Form. Form. Form. Form. And more form.
Make sure you are using weight light enough to do an exercise correctly. The gym isnt a place for an ego. Do what's appropriate for your body.

How many days a week are you wanting to work out? And for how long each day?

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
Awesome! I have a nice set of dumbbells so I am set.

I have been doing body weight squats and then deadlifts with a 10 pound standard barbell.

Tomorrow is heavy labor day at work, then I will come home and do "powerlifts" (squat with body weight, deadlift with 10# standard bar, and chest presses with dumbbells.

I may do arms/shoulders on top of that. I should have plenty of energy. I have an EZ curl barbell, a lot of dumbells, and the barbell.

Then take Sunday off, do Monday as cardio only on the recumbent bike (hubby knew the way to spoil me - I don't want girly stuff but watch me get excited about a new pair of dumbbells).

Do you think a kettlebell is worth it?
Be careful doing the deadlifts, it's very easy to hurt your back. I once pushed myself after not training for awhile, deadlifted 320 lbs and it strained my back. I know that's a lot more weight, but I was young and in good shape at the time so it can happen to anyone.

This is why I recommended dumbells for most things. It's easier to avoid injuring your back, especially if you haven't been training for awhile, or haven't yet learned the proper form for barbells. It's easier to avoid incorrect form with dumbells IMHO.

The curls you're doing will also help with your main goal (picking him up), because that's a pulling motion exercise too. One of my favorite curl exercises is with dumbells, sitting on an incline bench, leaning back slightly.

Kettle bell? IDK, maybe at some point but it seems like when just starting out there is a lot you can do to build up the basic strength before you move to the bell. But I don't have any experience with the bell so I won't say. At my age I view every exercise as "How can I make sure I do this in a way that won't hurt my back?"

·
Registered
15,997 Posts
PK, you are an inspiration! You have inspired me to start doing something even if it is not much. I was down to under 190 just after the fire in November but I am now pushing 200 and really need to do something about it.

So, I am doing squats, bends and arm lifts, 20 reps each a couple of times a day to start. Thanks for the push.

·
Possum Lover
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, thanks.

Being married to a train wreck in a wheelchair is a big motivator. He can barely get from wheelchair to/from car. Trying to get to the bathroom? :eek:

I read the gov says to do 150 minutes cardio a week, so I plan to work up to that.

Plus weights, kind of vague on what I want to do but at least one leg/back day, one powerlift day, one chest/arms/shoulder day. Since I am very active at work I will probably only do the powerlift 1x a week for now. Most likely will be doing powerlifting on Saturday after my "heavy" day at work.

I figure 5 days a week is good. Eventually that will be 30 minutes cardio, then weights. Most of what I do will be dumbbells. I have accumulated everything from 3 up to 20 pounds. That should keep me busy for a long while.

Thanks for the help! Keep it coming!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Keep at it until you get addicted to the endorphin buzz. I smile when I think about working out the way a junkie does when he's thinking about his next fix. A wise intention is to pay attention to your nutrition. You might consider compiling a playlist of songs that get your blood pumping and listen to them while you work out. My neighbors always know when I'm hitting the weights because I always blast "Everything Zen" at the beginning of the workout with the windows open and vol turned up to eleven. Riding a bike is also good for building up your glutes, quads and hams. Cycling your workouts between heavy, low reps and lighter, high reps can keep you from getting stale.
Being in a wheelchair doesn't prevent your hubs from working out, so you two might consider coupling up and working out together.

·
reluctant sinner
16,910 Posts
I'm getting in shape to - Round is a shape!

Actually furring out the ceiling and then hanging, tape and texture the new sheetrock at my Sis summer cabin. Up and down a step or two a thousand times a day. It doesn't help to have balance issues when looking up. 18 V batteries weigh more than 12 V ones.

Plus I get to build a 10' by 20'L metal roof over the sewing room trailer at the same location. So looking forward to humping the 11 trusses about 10 feet off the ground.

Keep at it - do something almost everyday. Take your BOB for a brisk walk as often as you can - it will help strengthen everything shoulder down. Load it with water bottles for the trip out, find a thirsty plant to water before the trip back if needed to lighten the load. You can add more water, distance or go for less time. You might tie the pack to the bike.

·
Possum Lover
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sadly, my husband will not work out at all. He'll stock a vending machine, and take his urinal bottles to the toilet, but that's about it. :( I am of the "use it or lose it" mentality. He used to walk all over, now he is in the chair and isn't really fighting it. Depression plays a part and would be vastly improved with some regular workouts.

He did buy me a recumbent bike some time ago (used, but who cares?) which I plan to use today after he wakes up from his nap and we do some accounting stuff.

Today was very heavy work for me today at work, in part stacking heavy cases of soda higher than my head. I am not working shoulders at all today because they felt a little tired after hours of that. I did some stretching and they felt better, while waiting on our ride.

I can do shoulders/arms/powerlift tomorrow. Today will just be a cardio day.

I also downloaded a fitness app that tracks steps, etc. That can only help.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts