Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just bought small red kidney beans, about a lb.

I've never really cooked with beans, but I keep hearing about how great they are as a survival store, so now what. I saw Alton Brown on good eats (great show) make red beans and rice, and of course chili but how are other good ways to prepare them.

Thanks T

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great northern white beans with smoked Turkey wings in them for flavor or smoked pork neck bones and pickled hot peppers, cook them fill your bowl and put some syrup on them "Oh I guess you guys don't put mustard on your chilli either".
Ham hocks are just fat and skin to me not much flvor compared to the others.
I only use red kidney beans in chilli or a Taco salad

·
Unlocked and loaded
1,161 Posts
Beans, and rice,

Seprate or togeather. Love them mixed though. little hot sause on top. Mmmm
Ok, a lot of Hot sause on top. Sorry about my spelling, just woke up.:confused:

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Red Beans, Rice & Sausage,.....is about the worlds most perfect food.:D:
Goggle a Cajun recipe for that, and have a loaf of real French bread to serve with it.
I am making some pork and venison link sausage this morning just for that purpose.:thumb:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Soak one pound of red beans overnight to get rid of a lot of the "gas." :) Throw out the water, add more water, add one chopped onion, some garlic (I like a lot), and a little chopped bell pepper if you like. Add salt. Boil until beans start to thicken a bit, but beans won't be ready. Lower, continue to cook until beans are tender. Add 1/2 to 1 1/2 pounds of your favorite smoke sausage. Cook for another 15 or 20 minutes. Eat over rice. :) Tobasco or Louisiana hot sauce optional, but yummy.

Hint: don't add the sausage too soon, because the fat from the sausage will cause the beans to "cream" too soon. Then, they will stick on the bottom of the pot and you'll have a heck of a time getting the beans real soft.

Also, when you add salt, remember that the salt in the sausage will make the beans saltier, as well.

Bon appetit!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Check out pressure cookers, I always use them with great results. Less energy, time, safe (nowadays) and kinda adds some fun into cooking.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
ever tried "BeanO"?

It works.

Beano is an enzyme-based dietary supplement that is used to reduce gas in the digestive tract, thereby preventing flatulence. It contains the enzyme alpha galactosidase that breaks down oligosaccharides such as raffinose. It is available in both tablet and liquid form.

How Beano works

Beano is a product containing the enzyme alpha galactosidase, which is derived from the fungus Aspergillus *****. The enzyme works in the digestive tract to break down the complex or branching sugars (polysaccharides and oligosaccharides) in foods such as legumes (beans and peanuts) and cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, among others). The enzyme breaks those complex sugars into simple sugars, making these foods somewhat more digestible, and reducing flatulence.

The polysaccharides and oligosaccharides found in these foods might otherwise pass through the small intestine unaffected. Once in the large intestine, those sugars may be metabolized by intestinal flora, fermenting to produce the gases that cause discomfort.

Two randomized controlled trials show reduction in gas by subjects taking oral alpha galactosidase (PMID 17151807 and PMID 7964541). Another study indicates alpha galactosidase may interfere with the diabetic medication acarbose (PMID 9663365).

·
Registered
678 Posts
Dried beans need some practise to cook with, don't wait until you need them. Black beans with rice are good, pinto beans can be turned into refried beans. They are worth the effort.

I've found my families systems can get used to beans and have no proiblems if we have them at least twice a week in some form or other. They are so cheap and healthy that this is not a great hardship for me.

Cooking them in the crockpot works too, I do that fairly often.

·
Looking upward
211 Posts
I like pinto beans and even the anasazi beans on occasions. Black beans are great with rice, corn, onion, tomato, cilantro and a dollop of sour cream

1 - 17 of 17 Posts