Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Survivalist!
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I am planning on buying and why:

-Gerber sport axe: 25$
-I want a good camp axe to take backpacking/put in BOB. This weighs 1.5 lbs, so its not to bad.
-200 pack of oxygen absorbers: 20$
-5, 5gal mylar bags: 10$
-Some rice, pinto beans, and whatever else i can find: 40$
-Medium or Large ALICE pack: around 40$
-This will be my backpack/BOB
-MSR Pocket Rocket Backpacking Stove: 40$
-A firestarter? Which do you all prefer?: Hopefully less than 20$
-Some 3 season hinking boots/shoes, Which do you prefer?: hopefully 55$ or less!

I'm just trying to get some basic backpacking gear, mixed with some food preps and just general stuff. Thanks for your inputs!!!:)

JV

·
Hitch Hiking Guide
414 Posts
nice, I dont know what you already have and don't have, but the list looks good to me!
for the fire, I personally would go half and half, with matches and lighters, although strike anywhere matches are pretty much a joke now days.
For boots, man... that all depends on a lot of things, especially the shape of your foot. For me, my tan bates desert boots I wear for everything.

·
Super Moderator
12,334 Posts
Swedish firesteel and half a dozen bic lighters for firestarting.

Don't have much clue on the boots. I'm partial to Redwings and they are expensive. Possibly Wal-Mart Wolverines.

·
Registered
839 Posts
-Swedish Firesteel, water and windproof matches, bic lighters
-For the boots, I recently go a pair of Hi Tec hiking boots for about $60, they are not bad, I would shop around if you only have $55 to spend on them.

·
Semper Gumby
158 Posts
I personally would go half and half, with matches and lighters, although strike anywhere matches are pretty much a joke now days.
I would have to agree. I bought a bunch at Ace thinking they were the same ones I had when I was a kid. Not a big mistake as they were as much as regular kitchen matches.
Rich

·
Registered
243 Posts
Howdy, JVParkour,

For $20 you could get 4 Magnesium Fire Starter blocks from the camping/sporting goods section of many Wal-Marts.

Or you could just get one Magnesium Fire Starter for around $5, then spend the rest on other auxillary fire-starting items such as magnifying glasses, disposable lighters, spare flints for a metal Zippo lighter, matches, pariffin wax to dip the matches in for waterproofing, a blow-torch sparker, cotton balls, Vaseline Petroleum Jelly, or leather shoelaces to make a fire-bow.

As for boots, I highly recommend either Wolverines, Timberland, or Rockports for work-a-day walking. I've found they usually come in wide sizes. While they would probably only be in the $55 range while on special, I've found that these brands are worth their weight in Gold.

I hope that this advice is helpful.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oh, JV, I meant to add: You could save yourself $40 on the stove by getting a large, empty, gallon-size tin can used for coffee or institutional food services, use a hammer and nail to puncture ventillation holes in it, then use tin-snips to cut a little door in the can for the fuel, and Voila!: An instant hobo camp stove!

Naturally, make sure the can you use doesn't have an internal plastic lining (or try and scrape the plastic out if it does) and you're got a classic cooking implement of America's itenerate working man!

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Here is what I am planning on buying and why:

-Gerber sport axe: 25$
-I want a good camp axe to take backpacking/put in BOB. This weighs 1.5 lbs, so its not to bad.
-200 pack of oxygen absorbers: 20$
-5, 5gal mylar bags: 10$
-Some rice, pinto beans, and whatever else i can find: 40$
-Medium or Large ALICE pack: around 40$
-This will be my backpack/BOB
-MSR Pocket Rocket Backpacking Stove: 40$
-A firestarter? Which do you all prefer?: Hopefully less than 20$
-Some 3 season hinking boots/shoes, Which do you prefer?: hopefully 55$ or less!

I'm just trying to get some basic backpacking gear, mixed with some food preps and just general stuff. Thanks for your inputs!!!:)

JV
You'll need some tablets to purify your water.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Basic first aid kit? It's not like you can just go see a doctor if you do damage to yourself while the SHTF :p

·
Savage intellectual
1,866 Posts
I have the Gerber sport axe, and I love it. It's wicked sharp, and light. The balance is in the head, and I haven't met a sapling yet that can stop it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would have to agree. I bought a bunch at Ace thinking they were the same ones I had when I was a kid. Not a big mistake as they were as much as regular kitchen matches.
Rich
Try Diamond strike anywhere matches. I have a bunch in a little plastic bottle in my backpacking pack.

You can strike the matches on a rock, on each other, you can even pick the tip with your fingernail to light them.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
My math might be off, but that's only $210. That's another $40 toward edibles, IMHO, unless you have to pay a lot of sales tax or something.

·
Survivalist!
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! Please keep them coming!

I guess my primary goal was to get the large basics needed, and with the small dollar amounts that come later, use that to stock up on small things.

I am thinking about saving up also and dropping some cash on a nice water filter...I know alot of yall have those Katadyne filters, are any others recommended?

Thanks,
JV

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Umm, I noticed one small but very large oversight and I am surprised that nobody has caught it yet.

BUY A CANTEEN, CAMEL BACK OR SOME MEANS OF CARRYING AT LEAST TWO QUARTS OF WATER WITH YOU!

Do NOT skimp on this or your footwear. Ever. If your budget is too tight for high end boots, buy a good ole fashsioned pair of GI issue speed lace boots. Go for jungle boots if you are in a wet/humid area like Florida, Georgia or Louisiana. And always carry a spare set of socks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts