Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am not really a *******, but!!!!

Ok so here is my idea i have a old broken down 32 foot moter home, the interior is still good, SOOOOOoo!! I need all my fellow garage engineers to put on their thinking cap's and and decide if i would have any problems burrying it and makind a bunker out of it. I think I should be good, I might have to look a drainage because i wouldnt want water standing about the structure. And it probably wouldnt be strong enough to bury 30 feet down. But other than that can anyone think of potential problems??

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
i say tar the crap out of it...build a frame around it with 4x4's and 1/2 inch plywood to help support the roof....than cover the plywood with roofing paper and tar that... and bury it 8 to 10 feet down ....i would think along those lines something like that should work...but i would get an old steel underground gas tank clean it out good and let it air our for awhile..and use that...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Motor homes don't have much structural support. I would recommend being VERY careful if you bury it. I know somewhere on here or another site I read about a guy (with pictures) about burying a school bus for a shelter and it collapsed inside from the weight of the dirt.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah but he rv is already set up to live in for a short period of time if i plumbed it and wired it i would have a small underground home. I rather sit in a recliner then a steel tank

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i like bba's idea, also what might work. I could get a buch of old car tires and build a wall of tires around the rv fill said tires with compacted dirt and rebar, than a 2x6 roof suported by the tire retaining wall. Then backfill the hole. hmmmm should work

·
Registered
772 Posts
I agree...sitting in a steel bunker isn't my idea of fun. You might try digging a hole...much like a ramp, backing the RV into it...building a roof on top going across the hole and making it strong enough to support weight....then put dirt or whatever on the structure on top of the hole instead of right onto the RV. Kind of like a hidden garage perhaps, except underground.

That way, if you needed to bug out in the RV from that location, just pop the doors and drive it right out of the hole and bug out.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmmmmm now we are talking, keep the ideas coming people. the only problem with that idea is it would be harder to camouflage the entire thing. and isnt that kinda the point of a bunker? but i supose with some well place camo neting you could make it disapear from a disance at least.

·
Watchful and Hopeful
122 Posts
I agree...sitting in a steel bunker isn't my idea of fun. You might try digging a hole...much like a ramp, backing the RV into it...building a roof on top going across the hole and making it strong enough to support weight....then put dirt or whatever on the structure on top of the hole instead of right onto the RV. Kind of like a hidden garage perhaps, except underground.

That way, if you needed to bug out in the RV from that location, just pop the doors and drive it right out of the hole and bug out.
I can just picture the suprise in the eyes of bystanders as the ground suddenly burst open as the earthen doors open and a 32 foot RV comes barging out of a cloud of smoke and dust, racing off into the sunset. I imagine everyone standing around saying " Do you hear that", just before the big TA DAH. I think you should top it off with "Dixie" in your musical horn assembly. :D:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The walls will cave in and it will be destroyed and then you have to deal with getting rid of it.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can just picture the suprise in the eyes of bystanders as the ground suddenly burst open as the earthen doors open and a 32 foot RV comes barging out of a cloud of smoke and dust, racing off into the sunset. I imagine everyone standing around saying " Do you hear that", just before the big TA DAH. I think you should top it off with "Dixie" in your musical horn assembly. :D:
YES YES!!!!! I will do that i think that when dixie is playing i should have a confederate flag made out of sparklers and bottle rockets go off!

The walls will cave in and it will be destroyed and then you have to deal with getting rid of it.
look at earth ships they build underground homes out of recycled car tires. they dont cave in.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
YES YES!!!!! I will do that i think that when dixie is playing i should have a confederate flag made out of sparklers and bottle rockets go off!

look at earth ships they build underground homes out of recycled car tires. they dont cave in.
Thats tires. The structure of an RV is wood and aluminum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I remember a discussion about using shipping containers for the purpose of an underground shelter, and that they didn't have enough structural support to pile dirt on the top or the sides of them. I would suspect that a motorhome has even less structural support than a shipping container. I think you would need a LOT of structure support above it to be safe, as well as on the sides to prevent the walls from caving in on you. And as you mentioned, drainage would also be an issue. Then there's the issue of how you get it into the hole. I like the ramp/hidden garage idea.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Any sort of underground shelter is something you really should be speaking to a qualified individual about. There are a lot of things you need to consider before just plopping something down under some dirt.

Be careful that your shelter doesnt become your grave.

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
I know this doesn't have anything to do with what you're asking, but what's up with the "readneck" in your title to this thread? Is that some sort of fancy book learnin' *******?:D:

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I know this doesn't have anything to do with what you're asking, but what's up with the "readneck" in your title to this thread? Is that some sort of fancy book learnin' *******?:D:
haha good catch. thanks
I remember a discussion about using shipping containers for the purpose of an underground shelter, and that they didn't have enough structural support to pile dirt on the top or the sides of them. I would suspect that a motorhome has even less structural support than a shipping container. I think you would need a LOT of structure support above it to be safe, as well as on the sides to prevent the walls from caving in on you. And as you mentioned, drainage would also be an issue. Then there's the issue of how you get it into the hole. I like the ramp/hidden garage idea.

I guess it all depends on how deep you wana burry it. In reality a bomb shelter would take more engineering than a tornado shelter. So here is what i am thinking three feet of gravel in the bottom of the hole to help with the drainage problem. It would be easier to build and hide if i used a small hill, but basically the underground garage idea. it could be made pretty cheaply with the tirewalls, and since the roof only has to span the width of the rv their wouldnt be near as much load on it, you could probably easily suport three feet of dirt with 2x12 rafters, or even 5x5 posts. since it would be built into a hill the angle of the ramp wouldnt be as extream or as long.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like the idea but I noticed in another post you said ;

"you know having a loaded gun while taking a dump is still probably safer than smoking on the pooper, your head is right over some flamible places. drop your smoke and WHOOOSH, my wife made fun of me for days. But to the question at hand, yes i allways carry in my house, and i have a camera system on each corner of the house, and a german shepard/akita mix, and i am still thinking of things to add. I must be paranoid or somehing"

I would think you may think about ventilation as an explosive situation may develop....:)

·
I travel light
2,026 Posts
Just two things...

you know having a loaded gun while taking a dump is still probably safer than smoking on the pooper, your head is right over some flamible places.

Absolutely right, in my first aid training they showed us some pics of some poor guy who was doing this. The result were his lungs burned from inside out, because of the flash, there was a gas cloud...I think this was a septic arrangement. So DON´T DO THIS.

Second, I would not suggest burying a container. They´re designed for a pretty different load, from the top to the bottom. A side load in the middle of the metal sheet of one side, caused by a lot of wet dirt, could (and will) make the wall container collapse!. I´d like to play better with cement. Anyway could be better to ask to some technician, and perhaps a couple of drawings or blueprints to have a legal backup. :thumb:
Good luck.-

·
Banned
653 Posts
You could always put a shipping container in the ground reinforce the roof then pour concrete around it using forms and rebar, that would take the stress off of the container and place the load on the concrete.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts