Survivalist Forum banner

5541 - 5560 of 5562 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im new to it so I guess the world going crazy is what caused me to become a survivalist (and im still not there learning so I can be). I just want to be prepared if the need ever arises and Id like to teach my girls also so they will know how to survive if they ever need to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since being on my own I've always had the survivalist slant.
All it takes is one spell of power out for 3-5 days, or being quarantined for a month, and you understand the wisdom in having food, water and essential items for "bugging in" already stored.
Crazy world right now but I'm thankful for sites like this that tried to help people prepare.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was lucky. My great grandmother taught me how bad the depression was for many. I had a split family and all four grandfathers fought in ww2 and dad fought in Nam. Growing up farming and around guns makes it easy. Its said to see all the farms dissapear for suburbia EVERYWHERE. Look at Florida around Orlando. I am only 40 but remember massive groves of Indian River grapefruit and valencia that tasted amazing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Look outside, no really, look outside. The stars in the country are no longer the stars away from the big city lights, the are satellite and drone. My plants only grow well with rain water...wells/springs are nearly poisoned by business. 1/2 of my children are sponge (we only have 2 though...there's still hope...that's 50% of humanity so far). Why are you a "survivalist"? Its a damned good question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn’t consider myself a survivalist yet. I am way too new for that, but I hope to feel comfortable calling myself that one day. I found this site while looking for lists of recommended gear for long-distance backpacking. I wanna go backpacking with an occasional (2x monthly) night of an actual bed and professionally cooked meal for about a year. I lost myself so much through my life I want to live close to nature for a bit to do some soul-searching.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not one...yet

But basically life circumstances redpilled me on how **** really works which lead to isolation for a long period of time, which lead to mgtow stuff, which lead to stoicism which lead to character development and character hardening if you will. Isolation / loneliness is now solitude ie perfect happiness by ones self.

Society is quickly going down the tubes so I feel like survivalism is a good thing to learn to maximize probability of survival in the future.

Probably going to buy an old Welsh miners cottage in the middle of nowhere eventually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice path, I have a similar one, but remember my friend, our western society will fall even further down if we run away from it, as stoics we have to help it survive, first by becoming strong men, learning how to survive, second by helping ours survive, leading them unto a virtuous road. Our role in public affairs is crucial.

·
The river flows
908 Posts
Nice path, I have a similar one, but remember my friend, our western society will fall even further down if we run away from it, as stoics we have to help it survive, first by becoming strong men, learning how to survive, second by helping ours survive, leading them unto a virtuous road. Our role in public affairs is crucial.
^^^ +1

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
The river flows
908 Posts
Many days I feel like Hari Seldon, of the Foundation series by I. Asimov, trying to shorten the duration of the unavoidable Dark Ages by pushing people in the right direction now and into the future.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Began as a kid

Having a familial relation to Daniel Boone ignited my imagination. I wanted to develop all of the skills that our forefathers required to live on the frontier. I read the dictionary and the world book encyclopedia. I later joined the Army as a Combat Engineer. Then the Air Force Security Forces. I was stationed on a Northern Tier base, a remote tropical island, rocky terrain, the burning desert. I learned blacksmithing, trapping, hunting, fishing, lock picking. I truly believe that I could manage any survival situation. I can make whatever tools or weapons I may need. Any shelter I may require. Once it began, it was like a fire within me.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,258 Posts
Well........shortly after crawling out of the third airplane that I crashed in Wilderness Alaska, and after a careful inventory for broken body parts, I started thinking that survival skills might enhance longevity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had some outdoors experience growing up, but mainly because I learned more through my education about how the world operates and how fragile and dependent high-technology (ie, computer) based civilisations are, and how most people are ignorant of just how many systems are involved in survival nowadays, for example dependence on goods shipped long distances, complicated/sophisticated technology increasingly required to live (air filtration, water treatment, telecommunications, large-scale centralised agriculture, to name just a few) even if you don't travel much at all. Humans have built a machine (world industrial society) that is more complex than they can understand, control, or maintain in a serious crisis (such as a solar flare), and that complexity and interdependence of the system is a threat to survival. Effectively, we can't live off our own land in much of the world and must depend on others, who are not predictable in how they will respond to a crisis. So I have come to think being prepared for a time when we may not be able to depend on complex systems or on others in order to survive, is therefore important.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Comes with the territory

My grandfather raised me for a large part of my youth, and he, born in the 1920's in SE MO, comes from a hillbilly/sharecropper family. Having not lived in MO before, I don't know how things are done there. Lived most of my life in the Utah/Colorado region. So he adapted and taught me. Ran away a few times and once encountered a couple guys that helped me a lot with sirvival (I'll talk more about them another time). That and a fair share of experience (always praying for more, too!).

·
Registered
20 Posts
My dad took my brother and I camping and deer hunting when we were pretty young. I remember wandering around beyond our campsite and finding a small cave in the side of a cliff deep in the hill country and thought I had found something really special. I remember waking up covered in sweat because my dad thought it would be fun to camp in the middle of July when it's 85 degrees at night. I remember freezing my ass off at dawn in that deerblind waiting for a good sized buck to pass by, and I clearly recall how amazing the venison stew tasted after we bagged one. I shot a few squirrels from the blind with my 22lr too.
All of that had a lasting impression on me and made me feel connected to nature. As I grew up I found the value in preparedness and the power that comes with taking control of your own survival. I used to think surviving was us versus nature, but I understand now it's just us adapting to nature. The only real "versus" out there is us versus our minds and our own limits.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
I'm not, I'm a traditionalist. This is an insurance policy against surprises, like all other insurance policies. This just insures continuity: of eating regularly, of having minimal comforts and personl security. Its nothing new. Our grandparents called it living. Our parents might have too. Mine did. I'm not a survivalist or a prepper.....or, a victim. I am an American.

·
Registered
12,561 Posts
A survivalist is paranoid, like rats that suspect the ship is sinking have a plan to bug out and thrive somewhere else.
From the time I was a child dad's stories of his growing up during the depression were a staple of life sharing the unexpected and the actions available to answer to the need with what was available. They did not have a whole lot of things to work with like we have today, and a lot of people didn't make it, a lot of people died for the lack of food and shelter and moral support and knowledge. There were a lot of con games get rich schemes and so forth that you had to be smarter than, hucksters were common as dirt.
In those days people did not share how they did things, you had to pay for knowledge some how earning it, no one handed it to you like they do here. this may all change some day.
I learned many things watching my dad and his fearlessness facing challenges. I some how naturally learned how o fix things, taking things apart to see what made them tick and reassembling again and again and again to working again if that was possible.
In those days no one handed you respect, you had to earn it, you had to prove your self.
I sat at the feet of older folk that came through the storms of life and their stories taught me the value of life and their tricks of hanging on and working hard for so very little just to survive. Many would not even talk of their child hood, it was hard for many unless your parents were rich, but that had no glory in it knowing how many they walked by and let suffer, knowing full well the shoe could be easily on the other foot.
Dad ran the crash truck in the service and then a morgue after he was home. We watched our share of people die around us even then. These things teach you to be a survivalist, but if you live blindly, keeping up with the joneses you become a statistic as well.
The instability of government and of weather and of people alone should teach one to think for the future.

·
the "d" from ban[d]
14,978 Posts
I am a conservative. Conservatives are by their very nature survivalist. The vast difference is the time horizon and levels of concern.

5541 - 5560 of 5562 Posts