Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With gas prices going up and the price of gas is going to be over a $4.oo dollars a gallon ..Have you gotten your hikeing boots out and are they well broken in now for useing as your main source of transportation around the area along with your backpack for carrying your food supplies home to the place ..

My friend who a person who said they would never do that and this morning she showed up at my apt with a new backpack and she goes show me how to you do the whole trip to the grocery store and how to pack the backpack with supplies for the trip home and about 10 mins into the talk with her another person i know showed up to asked me about getting a backpack to do the walking trip to the store for food

So i told her sat morning we are going to the store and call her to get her up and ready for the trip there and the trip back ..I also told that she had to pack her supplies home because i will have my hands filled with a bag or two and a hikeing staff for balance when walking ..

She give me a look like ok and i told her to break the load down into heavyest goes in the bottom and light stuff on the top ..So we will see sat morning how she does that morning on her trip to the store and back ..

here is a picture of the pack unit i use

Attachments

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,660 Posts
No but I am looking strongly at a riding a bicycle back and forth to work. It is 10 miles each way and the weather is often windy, but if gas goes up much more we will see.

I now ride it greater distances, but I don't ride in winds above 10 mph or temps above 100 F.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the people who live out in the county are going to be hurting when it comes to the gas prices if they keep going up and people are going to have to make choices on what they have to spend money on food or gas for the family

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
Not just country folks everyone will hurt. You need to eat food don't you? How do you think that food gets to the grocery shelves ,not by magic teleportals. So the cost to transport goes up because of the increased cost of fuel, guess who pays for that?

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
This is really going to be life changing, for a lot of us.

I go to the range every day and it is a 30 mile round trip...Stuff like that can add up.

So do I go to the gym or go shooting...?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
It took us 14 months to sell our house a couple years ago, but we were finally able to move and found a house in the suburbs that was 1/2 mile from work. I can walk to work in the morning, back home for lunch, back to work and home again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Been doing this for years over here, distances are shorter generally speaking so bikes are a more viable option.
Fantastic idea as it keeps you fit and you can use a bike post SHTF, if it's safe enough.

As for rucksacks well I use one similar to the one on the right in the pictures in the first post, what we call a Bergan, a forces style sack.

Difficult to ride a bike with it though as it knocks on the back of the helmet, which I always wear.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just had a couple more people that i know show up at my place tonight and showing me backpacks for going to grocery store sat morning ..so i guess it going to be a group thing this sat morning

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Lets hope this turns out to be just another round of belt tightening instead of something worse...I'm with ammo on this one, since it's 36 miles round trip to work for me and the price of fuel really does effect what I do and where I go...and bicycling is not an option for this time of year...what do I give up doing to absorb the extra expense of getting to work and back...I'm thinking cable TV since I don't watch it anyway....too many "reality" shows...

Reactions: hank2222

·
What would Mal do
4,989 Posts
We have several non-essential travel expenses...monthly social club meetings, trips to the 'Y' pool, etc...and of course the cancelling of the membership as well.

but to your point..no walking from our lil country home doesn't make any sense...way too much time consumed...my pedal bike has a rack on the back and my backpack will ride on my shoulders just as well if I'm pedaling as if I'm walking.

I also own a small honda motorcyle that has a rack and basket mounted on it..o I can carry quite a bit on the bikes and my shoulders.

All will me a moot point however if the gas pricing causes another economic crunch and companies lay more folks off.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Its one thing to live in town and be just a few minutes from a grocery store, but like where I live, there are about 3 or 4 grocery stores in about a 50 mile radius. Some people already drive 30 minutes just to buy food.

As the oil production in libya continues to drop, prices will probably keep going up.

·
Blessed
648 Posts
I'm lucky in the fact that my husband works right across the street from Wal Mart so we don't have the "extra" trips to the grocery store. I'm a SAHW and don't go anywhere except the occasional trip to the post office or the Dr. every 3 months. WE do have to stock up on diesel and gas for our jennys.

Suzanne

·
What would Mal do
4,989 Posts
yep...we used to be that far out...but during the boon of the 90s, the city kept creeping our way..we're still considered the country, but it's grown a lot and a major grocer chain is just a 7-8 mile scoot..not much else there, gas station, chinese food and a jackinthebox...after that you're looking at another 6-8 miles to get to a shopping area.
That said, I don't mind an 8mile walk, but a pedal bike cuts that time way down, I still get the exercise and I can carry more....my honda just makes it a fun little ride and I've got energy for more serious work.

my current employer has me home based unless I'm traveling to client sites at company expense..so I don't have the daily commute costs..that's huge.

the folks I know from down this way that make a 50-70mile round trip each day on the highway up to the city...gas bites em as does the wear n tear on their commuter cars...

·
Survivors
518 Posts
URBAN Considerations!

Regarding purchasing and walking with your supplies in urban areas; A walking stick is a good idea. I would make sure you have dump buckles on your pack straps and waist belt, so if you need to drop it in a hurry in order to defend yourself or your shopping partner you can do that effectively withOUT your pack on. As the number of people using transportation drops, the number of available targets for people who are struggling worse than you increases and you(or you and your shopping partner) walking to the store to do your shopping become one more of those available targets. Be aware(360 degrees) of your surroundings, no deep conversations on the walk, have a plan for defense or offense, be armed(where possible, and trained, and practiced). We are moving into a different era, it is important that you recognize this as you move along with your plans...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts