Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchase a new Dryer back in April from Sears. Went in with cash. They kept pushing for 12 months same as cash. So I took it. Had to call them to get my first bill. Then went into the store and paid my first payment. Got a receipt and the canceled check. today I get a bill with over $70 in fines, and 30% finance. I called them and explained that I had the canceled check and receipt of payment to my hand. They turned around and said there system shows no payment and told me that I need to stop being a low life, pay my bills and stop trying to cheat the system. Then I called the store and bitched them out, they told me it was not there problem. After ofering to put this dryer back thru the store front window, they asked if they could remove the fees to make me happy. Should of just paid the cash to begin with. I know better!!! :mad::mad::mad:

·
CTP
1,715 Posts
Yup. IIRC, with those 12 month same as cash deals that if you miss one payment or are even late on a payment they revert back to the normal intrest rate one would normally pay.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, if you miss your a payment. not when you make your first payment 13 days before the due date! that is the aggrivating part. I paid the thing and have proff that I did.

·
Alrighty then
274 Posts
Like my grandmother always used to say..... don't touch sh*t cuz sh*t stinks ! Pay cash and be done with it..... Even being 100% responsible is not enough to beat the dirt bag financiers. The game is always rigged against you no matter how good of a deal is sounds.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
I had them years ago charge me a late fee for a payment that was in there that they cashed 2 weeks before the duy date. But it didnt get into the right deptment so they charged me. So I called nad they told me to bad and they would not take off the late fee. So I went into town and payed it all off right threre that day and then canceled the account. I got a big sunshine letter about 3 weeks later stating that they would like me back as a card holder (I spend a awfull lot on tools and have for many years). I told them that for a simple late fee that was not right in the first place I would never step into a sears again. Thats how I protest I dont support bad company practices. Hope you enjoy that sears.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it will be the last time I shop there. So done with places like this. in todays day and age, they get 1 chance. the screw it up, they are done! I cant see how they can not reverse the fees. they are claiming ni payment. not late or early. I got the proof. but people today are not to bright. they just lost another customer.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
sears should have died a long time ago. I quit going there when they tried to sell me
an insurance/repair policy on a push reel lawnmower. they were service oriented. Once they took to being "sell" oriented and treated the customer as somebody who was an adversary to be manipulated and misled and used only as a cash cow... well, that was it.
For years there were articles in WSJ and things like that... the "powers that be" could never figure it out. Value and SERVICE and treating the customer with respect will always be in style. value brings the customer to your door, service with respect will keep him/her coming back. my 2 cents

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Purchase a new Dryer back in April from Sears. Went in with cash. They kept pushing for 12 months same as cash. So I took it. Had to call them to get my first bill. Then went into the store and paid my first payment. Got a receipt and the canceled check. today I get a bill with over $70 in fines, and 30% finance. I called them and explained that I had the canceled check and receipt of payment to my hand. They turned around and said there system shows no payment and told me that I need to stop being a low life, pay my bills and stop trying to cheat the system. Then I called the store and bitched them out, they told me it was not there problem. After ofering to put this dryer back thru the store front window, they asked if they could remove the fees to make me happy. Should of just paid the cash to begin with. I know better!!! :mad::mad::mad:
Just remember that after 12 months, they will tack on 30% interest for the entire past 12 months all at once if not paid off. Not all work like this, but most do. Be aware.

·
•--• • •- -•-• •
3,028 Posts
Yep - you learned your lesson. Forget those that say forget Sears - please. Would love to see their business model LOL. Sears sells great products - pay cash and end of problems! You probably felt that all along I bet. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Yep - you learned your lesson. Forget those that say forget Sears - please. Would love to see their business model LOL. Sears sells great products - pay cash and end of problems! You probably felt that all along I bet. Good luck!
so long as you don't mind being harassed and pressured to buy extended warranties on everything and given the hard sell treatment on everything you examine from the floor people to the checkouts. I'd rather be served with courtesy than harassed when I want to spend my hard earned cash. to each his own.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Gotta be careful with those "12 months same as cash" deals. What they're trying to get you on is called deferred interest.

What it means is, you borrowed the money at xx% interest rate, but if you pay it off in 12 months they forgive the interest. If you do NOT pay it off in 12 months, they add on the 12 months of interest in one lump sum as if they had been charging it the whole time.

I love Craftsman tools but I friggin' hate Sears. Always pushing me for that charge card every time I go in there.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
If you are going to finance. Charge the sucker on a credit card. Then balance transfer it to a lower card rate.

If that isn't an option. Don't finance.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Ya I got to see their "business model" first hand...no thanks, never again.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
This is why I never count on service from a retail store. And this is also why I look for the best value (lowest price and highest quality), because I know the retail store will never service my item if it breaks. If you are expecting good service, your expectations are too high.

Service companies might, but it's often not worth it. Who fixes a $50 blender anymore? Cost to look at it starts at $60, sometimes higher.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,429 Posts
Thanks for sharing a hard learned lesson. I've had similar, but perhaps less expensive lessons buying large items with fancy financing. I like saving up the money and writing just one check.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts