Survivalist Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Good thread with several good points. One that might have been overlooked ......

Training to fight at night. ( I have been actively training for this too include multiple deployments in a few different places via OJT for over a few decades now and still have room for improvement..Lola)High power shooting, 3 gun, bench shooting with rifles and optics that can put bullets into tiny targets way out there won't achieve this when targets can't be seen after the sun goes down.

3gen nods ain't cheap, but the pic below is an example of why I have them.......
All 3 dumped in less than 3 seconds while running full out after complete darkness fell inside the treeline .M14S / Arms 18 mount/ Raptor NVS using SSA 168GR OTM.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Good thread with several good points. One that might have been overlooked ......

Training to fight at night. ( I have been actively training for this too include multiple deployments in a few different places via OJT for over a few decades now and still have room for improvement..Lola)High power shooting, 3 gun, bench shooting with rifles and optics that can put bullets into tiny targets way out there won't achieve this when targets can't be seen after the sun goes down.

3gen nods ain't cheap, but the pic below is an example of why I have them.......
All 3 dumped in less than 3 seconds while running full out after complete darkness fell inside the treeline .M14S / Arms 18 mount/ Raptor NVS using SSA 168GR OTM.
I wish I could afford it, I was thinking of picking up a cheaper set up just so I would be able to have some advantage.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Agreed

My go to is an HK 91 date code IB. Not my best battle rifle, but I love the German 90 series and folded steel. Always loved the Sturmgewher. Just my two cents. My family shoots at the range on my farm. Never shoot from a bench...unless adjust sights... Even take the old rover down to the range.. and over/under and inside (not recommended)..

·
Registered
84 Posts
so 7.5 lbs of ammo and mags, 9 lb rifle, 1 lb of scope, 3/4 lb of steel mount and rings, 1.5 lbs of suppressor and 3/4 lb of bipod is "light', to you, eh? I'm here to tell you that it aint, when you are also lugging around the 30 odd lbs of other stuff, water and food that you'll need to last more than 2-3 days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ballistic calculator

Hello All,

I'm a new member but a life long shooter, I'm a former Army Ranger Sniper who spent years as a sniper at second Rangers and have worked in Iraq and the stan as a war contractor. I hunt.

Please use a ballistic calculator to figure your "point blank".

The term "point blank" is often misused to mean: right in front of you. That's incorrect.

The definition of the term "Point Blank" is the range at witch you can put the sights on a target and score a hit without adding windage or elevation. For instance the "point blank" for a .300 mag rifle is around 296 yards.

That's what a ballistic calculator helps you figure out. If you simply put a target at say 100 yards and zero your rifle to that then you are effectively making your weapon much less effective as you have tuned it way down and aren't using it to it's full potential.

Use the analogy of a pitching machine. Imagine our pitching machine at home plate and the speed of the spinning wheel is constant (that's velocity). We can adjust for elevation, we can through fly balls or line drives and many lines in between. One line in there that looks like a line drive is the most efficient, longest flying, hardest hitting. That's what the calculator finds for you.

If you simply zero at 100, you're throwing a lame little fly ball that lands just over the second basemens head.

Eric

·
Registered
34,308 Posts
.223 seemed pretty effective in Wisconsin .
I said in another thread that:

"It can be"

I didn't exaggerate the "can"

Perhaps I should have.

Dudes arm:

Looks like it hit the bone and opened it up JUUUST right.

And it didn't drop him or even make him drop his weapon did it?

Point is "can" or perhaps "might"

Might not good enough against a determined enemy.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I said in another thread that:

"It can be"

I didn't exaggerate the "can"

Perhaps I should have.

Dudes arm:

Looks like it hit the bone and opened it up JUUUST right.

And it didn't drop him or even make him drop his weapon did it?

Point is "can" or perhaps "might"

Might not good enough against a determined enemy.
nice work.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Personally green tips are my go to and the platform that loves them most. Mainly because I have 3500+ stocked up. In a shtf that is.

For most stuff around the farm it’s usually the 94 in 30-30. Or the 10-22.
Recently purchased a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. Nice and light. Short and pointable.

I think a lot of people get caught up in bench accuracy when it comes to survival or “combat” weapons. If you’re shooting offhand leaning around a corner after running around and hauling a ruck, inside of say 150 yards, it’s not going to matter all that much if your rifle shoots .5MOA or 2.5MOA. At least in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

121 - 135 of 135 Posts