Survivalist Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Hovercraft Pilot, Retired
2,012 Posts
Offhand shooting is definitely the hardest on precision and accuracy. It's also the quickest.
What many fail to realize is that NO ONE can hold a rifle steady offhand. To train for it hold on target and constantly re-aim. Eventually, you'll notice a pattern of figure 8's relative to your aiming point. The trick to actually hitting your target is to start your trigger pull just prior to crossing your aim point.
:thumb: I prefer shooting offhand over all other methods.

·
Threepin'
4,008 Posts
Excellent post, H&C. I've never understood why people bench shoot @ paper and think it's some accomplishment. To me, that's a very boring range session. When it comes time to use them, paper won't be your enemy.

Reactions: dm1911

·
Registered
733 Posts
:thumb: I prefer shooting offhand over all other methods.
agreed!

off hand is the hardest and requires the most practice for proficiency.
but you should practice all the regular positions, as well as improvised shooting positions.

how do you think the "bench shooters" would do if they had to shoot standing for a score ? :thumb:

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
agreed!

off hand is the hardest and requires the most practice for proficiency.
but you should practice all the regular positions, as well as improvised shooting positions.

how do you think the "bench shooters" would do if they had to shoot standing for a score ? :thumb:
Depends on whether or not they also shoot High Power.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you start shaking that fast you need to adjust your shooting position. A proper position should be fairly comfortable, but very sturdy and with good support. If you can try to find someone in the military (infantry) to show you. Basically, going from the ground up you want your feet a little more than shoulder width apart and either in line with each other or slightly offset with your weak side foot forward. Then you want your knees slightly bent, stick your butt out a little bit to create a lumbar curve in your spine. Your elbows should be in tight, almost resting on your chest.

It's kinda hard to describe over the internet, but once you get a good position down, you can move into other positions, shooting on the move, combat drills, and more advance techniques. It will probably feel a little uncomfortable at first, but with practice it becomes second nature.

can you take some pictures and post then so we can see an example of your style of shooting:thumb:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Learn your weapon overall, maintain your weapon, protect it as it will protect you, choose a caliber that suits its mission, my preference is 7.62NATO, it is a great round and will be likely the easiest to resupply in times of strife due to its still being used by our military forces, practice practice practice, develope a DEFENSIVE plan as a means of surviving, going Rambo will get you killed, maintain a level of fitness that allows you to defend yourself from the elements along with the crazies that could cross your path in dire times, your weapon and it's dependability are paramount, AR platforms are a good choice and plentiful, choose a gun that will perform its job and benefit you. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, be competent and complete.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Learn your weapon overall, maintain your weapon, protect it as it will protect you, choose a caliber that suits its mission, my preference is 7.62NATO, it is a great round and will be likely the easiest to resupply in times of strife due to its still being used by our military forces, practice practice practice, develope a DEFENSIVE plan as a means of surviving, going Rambo will get you killed, maintain a level of fitness that allows you to defend yourself from the elements along with the crazies that could cross your path in dire times, your weapon and it's dependability are paramount, AR platforms are a good choice and plentiful, choose a gun that will perform its job and benefit you. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, be competent and complete.
GREAT POST! :thumb:

·
American fearmaker
14,241 Posts
One other thing to consider is thinking ahead and develop a tactical plan designed specifically for the area where you plan to be operating. Go outside of where you plan to be operating, look back into your area and see if you can find any weak areas that you can easily shore up. Think about what you need to do to defend your area and what firearms or other warning devices you might want to deploy to help you stay alert to trouble or advancing liberal attackers.

Such plans should have all the key elements thought out in advance and include things like an overall defense strategy, fall back plan and rally points should they be needed. One of the interesting concepts I learned over in Viet Nam was to have the usual perimeter defense line spread all around and inside the center of the compound was to have a small group that we called the reaction force. The reaction force would move into action once it was determined which side of the perimeter the enemy's main attack was coming. So basically we had force meet force head on. It worked well and often stopped an attacking enemy cold.

In your plan you also consider where you might want to position any special weapons. If, by chance, you should happen to lay your hands on full automatic fire weapons, keep in mind that those are best used to cover areas like open grasslands, trails of approach to your position and areas where light vehicles might try to do a high speed rush at you. Snipers and their weapons should be carefully deployed based upon the limitation of what the sniper knows about his own abilities and his equipment. In other words, when possible pretty much let the sniper choose his position. This is because the sniper may have gear that better uses the light of the day to his advantage and so on.

Also plan ahead as far as maps go. How many of you already have maps of your area on hand? Terrain maps? City maps? How about local maps or even a couple of state highway maps? How about plat maps and do you know what a plat map is? Keep in mind that survival is about having options. The more options you have the better your chances for survival are. If nothing else, the more comfortable your survival situation will be.

·
Currently surviving SHTF
2,485 Posts
Recently, I taught a buddy to shoot a carbine/shotgun while moving forward. Not as easy as it sounds, but it is easy once you know it. He had a blast and leaned something useful.

·
Registered
733 Posts
One other thing to consider is thinking ahead and develop a tactical plan designed specifically for the area where you plan to be operating. Go outside of where you plan to be operating, look back into your area and see if you can find any weak areas that you can easily shore up. Think about what you need to do to defend your area and what firearms or other warning devices you might want to deploy to help you stay alert to trouble or advancing liberal attackers.

Such plans should have all the key elements thought out in advance and include things like an overall defense strategy, fall back plan and rally points should they be needed. One of the interesting concepts I learned over in Viet Nam was to have the usual perimeter defense line spread all around and inside the center of the compound was to have a small group that we called the reaction force. The reaction force would move into action once it was determined which side of the perimeter the enemy's main attack was coming. So basically we had force meet force head on. It worked well and often stopped an attacking enemy cold.

In your plan you also consider where you might want to position any special weapons. If, by chance, you should happen to lay your hands on full automatic fire weapons, keep in mind that those are best used to cover areas like open grasslands, trails of approach to your position and areas where light vehicles might try to do a high speed rush at you. Snipers and their weapons should be carefully deployed based upon the limitation of what the sniper knows about his own abilities and his equipment. In other words, when possible pretty much let the sniper choose his position. This is because the sniper may have gear that better uses the light of the day to his advantage and so on.

Also plan ahead as far as maps go. How many of you already have maps of your area on hand? Terrain maps? City maps? How about local maps or even a couple of state highway maps? How about plat maps and do you know what a plat map is? Keep in mind that survival is about having options. The more options you have the better your chances for survival are. If nothing else, the more comfortable your survival situation will be.

great post!!
some times it's a good to have a trusted friend perimeter defense plan.
some times a fresh set of eyes see things you may not consider

·
Registered
244 Posts
Good post. You´re absolutely right about many things. I agree about the benchrest shooting.

Pfff shooting is hard. I'm training prone unsupported and after training every week a year long, I can hit a 5 or 6 inch plate at 100m fairly reliably (shooting AK). Shooting in unsupported standing position is hard. First shot is okay but then fatigue kicks in and you start shaking and stuff.

Am I the only one who finds it hard?

Is signed by Wolfe, who is dedicated but not very talented :-(
yer right Wolfe,
was out a couple weeks back..400yd range with reactives and other targets at 100,200,and 400. bench..no problem, plopping down on my pudgey bellie..400yds still very solid...but standing and switching between various targets off hand...best I could do was the 200yd target consistently ...

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Good thread with several good points. One or 2 that might have been overlooked ......

Shoot, move, and communicate. All 3 are important. Probably covered already, but if not then there ya go.

2nd....

Training to fight at night. High power shooting, 3 gun, bench shooting with rifles and optics that can put bullets into tiny targets way out there won't achieve this when targets can't be seen after the sun goes down.

3gen nods ain't cheap, but the pic below is an example of why I have them.......
All 3 dumped in less than 3 seconds while running full out after complete darkness fell inside the treeline while stalk hunting.M14S / Arms 18 mount/ Raptor NVS using SSA 168GR OTM. Offhand standing using hasty sling.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 135 Posts